OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 19, 2016 12:42 pm  #1

Creating new holiday traditions

Hi everyone -

For some of us, this is our first year apart from our ex spouse - and sometimes children (in the house full-time).  For others, we're still together with them, but we're in a very dark/confusing place right now, and don't want to do things the same as always and act like everything is fine.  If you wait to see how the holidays play out, you will likely be unhappy during/afterward.  And that's because what you're accustomed to is feeling happy.  And this time, that can feel empty, or lonely.  So it might be time to take a look at the holiday a bit differently - to asses what kinds of things you think you would enjoy - even if you need to do them alone.  What things need to happen for the day to feel like a "real" holiday for you?  Do you need to see holiday decorations?  Go see some lights?  Go to church? Do some carroling?  Decorate a tree?  Have some turkey?

Then try to work these things into your life in a different, purposeful way.  Maybe the day doesn't feel like a holiday unless there's a big meal.  So,.... can you find a place to help serve others that meal?  Can you invite single friends over, or finally accept an invite to spend the holiday with someone who's inviting you (gasp!)?  Can you ask a friend to go see the lights with you?  Just drive around with holiday songs on and find the best, gaudiest houses?  Can you find a local church service that sounds awesome and dress to go and feel moved?  Can you bake some holiday goodies (or even buy some) and drop them off at your local fire station / police station / retirement home / hospital?  What would you DECIDE to do if this were your very first holiday and you didn't have old traditions to fall back on?  Think outside the box - if you don't have a tree this year because it moved out with the ex, then go get a tiny one and buy a few new ornaments that represent new beginnings.  Hell - go get a Hallmark collectible ornament and start your own new tradition with collectibles.  Or decide that you're going to string together popcorn and cranberries, and do cut-out snowflakes.  It doesn't have to be alone - it can be a brand-new tradition with the kids.  Go buy some of Trader Joe's "Ugly Sweater" cookies, that come complete with icing to decorate them atrociously.  Have a night where you drink your favorite wine and watch your favorite Christmas movie.  Make a pie for an elderly neighbor and deliver it in-person.  Go out with the intention of doing random acts of kindness.  Put some orange peel and cinnamon in some water on the stovetop to simmer Christmas smells into the house.  There are million choices, and none of them have to be the same things you've EVER done before.

When you plan things, you know what to expect - and you begin to look forward to the event rather than dreading a holiday without meaning.  You can't wait for life to happen to you - go seize it!!!  It's all there for the taking.  And giving. 

Happy holidays to every one of us - the strong, patient, forgiving, loving, kind and wonderful people that we are.  You have carried so much on your back for so long - it's time to create some space for fun, spirituality and joy now.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

December 28, 2016 9:36 am  #2

Re: Creating new holiday traditions

Christmas was good  with my kids and family .. I was able to forget about TGT and her for awhile.    My family made sure Christmas eve I was with them and Christmas day the kids arrived early to my surprise.

Alas,  it did not last and I got the raging text the day after as i tried to celebrate with more family time.  I was unprepared for it as I thought me and the ex had some understanding for Christmas.     Anger and rage designed to send my shaking again... I just couldn't believe it.. it's Christmas...she couldn't be  at least polite on Christmas...even armies have a cease fire on Christmas.     

I'm still trying to show my kids a strong loving dad despite internally being lonely, depressed and lost..  They will not see it... if they come over they'll see a kind and normal dad.     I save all the tears and despair  for after they leave.     Sorry folks but I still lock my doors  at night and still don't feel totally safe...will she drive over and start throwing things at me ?

Time to get  off my butt and plunge forward.. forward is the only way .      A new year is coming and it has to be better than the last.

Happy holidays to all.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

December 29, 2016 11:50 am  #3

What sort of thing was she saying in the raging text, Rob?

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

December 29, 2016 11:29 pm  #4

It wasn't so much what she said  so much as she was angry and barking orders....but I was unprepared for her anger..I'm strictly no contact with her and have a lot PTSD from the our bitter divorce.   

Things would go better if we communicated but we don't want to talk to each other so I do a lot of guessing sometimes about the kids..    I know I should be stronger... I have to keep reminding myself they are the rants of a narcissist crazy person and I owe her nothing .   Its all new to me..  its not a normal way to live.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

December 31, 2016 12:36 pm  #5

Dear Kel, thanks you for all the good ideas. I wish I had known this last year, I almost didn't make it through the holidays. But I did, and this year was sooo much better. I hope you are still planning to write that book and get our story out.

JK! So happy you let your kids help plan fun things. That's what I do with granddaughters and we always have love and fun together. You sound so strong.

Rob, you are such a great dad to hide your hurt and sorrow around your kids. I hope this year brings a big turning point in your recovery. You deserve to be happy and safe, as we all do. (I slept in a locked room with a chair under the door til I moved to my new home.)

For me, the discovery, divorce and selling our house and starting over happened so quickly that I was in a blur for many months, but once that was all done I could make a new life and not have to ever see or speak with him. I also took the lead and got a lot of things my way since he wanted me to keep his secret. I'm convinced that made my healing go much faster than many who deal with a long, drawn out breakup, or have jobs or kids together.

Happy New Year to all of us.

Let's make 2017 ridiculously wonderful!

Keeping Hope

Board footera