OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 1, 2016 2:45 am  #1

Feeling terrible

I'm really struggling with this. My husband I've been with him for close to 15yrs. I found out yrs ago that he was attracted to men & cheated, but of course he denied it & has manipulated me since. Well I've had enough & working on divorce. But I feel stuck. I don't want to do this. I love him still so much & having trouble letting go. I've only recently began telling my close family. At the same time I hate him!!! It seems as time goes by its only getting worse for me, not him!. He was in a bad car accident this week, & who took care of him? I did! Now that he's feeling better I made him leave. Now I'm here feeling used again. Feeling so angry, hateful, upset, sad, and just down. Sometimes I'm ok but I'm tired of this hurt & emotional roller coaster. I wish I could hit the fast forward button through all this. I miss my husband so much & there's nothing I can do. I can't live this lie anymore =(

July 1, 2016 6:45 am  #2

Re: Feeling terrible

Kt,

We/I hear you here.  I just wanted to say I think your strong empathetic and humane for taking care of your cheating husband while he was hurt.  My lezex had put herself in the hospital from rage and stress.  I tried to be supportive taking care of the kids bringing her stuff to the hospital.  She would have only her girlfriend at the hospital to hold her hand..  just 2 friends holding hands..nothing going on there.

I had to go to hospital this week..I think the stress is catching up with me.  I had no one to help me so I drove myself in.
In contrast when I was on the hospital I got irate texts and she wanted to discuss financials...no empathy remorse or "how are feeling".  I was  appalled but it was not unexpected.

I've learned not to expect basic and fundamental humanity from my narcissistic ex.  This is really hard..  I think you should lower your expectations also of your cheating husband.

At the same time I do not want to become  like them..I am humane. I have compassion,  empathy and am capable of strong love.  I do not want to lose who I am.  I am  not a citizen of the gay narcissistic valley.  I will not build my home here. Sadly we must go through the valley...through the fire..

Walk forward and do what you know is right..we deserve not to be abused. We deserve not to be lied to.  They have forfeited our strong love.  I hope to come through this with remnants of myself. ..   I will sleep knowing I did the right moral thing.  I know God would not want us to stay in an abusive marriage. 

Take comfort and seek support where you can.  We have been fundamentally violated or abused. 
Be kind to yourself. 

E hugs  (virtual but authentic)

Last edited by Rob (July 1, 2016 6:53 am)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

July 1, 2016 7:39 pm  #3

Thank you Rob. I just don't understand how they can be so selfish!! It's like none of this, losing his family, losing me, it doesn't phase him!! Like they have no conscience or no soul. Its extremely frustrating. Was hoping the car accident would've maybe knocked the gayness outta him! Lol. Oh well.
    But you're right. We are so much different than our spouses in that we are caring, & empathetic. My love is unconditional even tho I so hate him for what he's done to me & my family, I was still there for him. I guess Im just tired of being taken advantage of. I keep telling myself to stop caring so much but I can't.
    I'm trying to hold myself from going too crazy or too far into depression. Im sorry you had to go to hospital & no one there to help you. That is so sad how we can be there for someone in need but they are no where for us. I think strangers would be more caring sometimes than our own exes.  I hope you are feeling a lil better & are finding comfort some how.

July 1, 2016 10:37 pm  #4

Kt

Thanks.  I'm ok...   I have family and friends...they just weren't around to help when I went..

It did hit me not having spouse. It hurt to be in pain and to be in battle with my ex at the same time...it all added up to this oppressing weight.

I don't think we will ever understand the selfishness of them..how they can sleep at night knowing what they did (my lezex told me she sleeps fine).

I don't want to understand. .i just want her to go away.

July 2, 2016 6:46 pm  #5

Kt - the best solution is to distance yourself from their lives, particularly in the day to day. That gives you space to focus on yourself. What you want, what you need and where you need to be. It's not selfish to take care of yourself. Besides knowing about "narcissism" and "gas-lighting" in our relationships it also helps to know about "codependency". These are all things a therapist can help with.

How to Know You're in a Codependent Relationship. Watch out for these signs that you might be in a codependent relationship:

• Are you unable to find satisfaction in your life outside of a specific person?
  • Do you recognize unhealthy behaviors in your partner but stay with him or her in spite of them?
  • Are you giving support to your partner at the cost of your own mental, emotional, and physical health?

Last edited by Daryl (July 2, 2016 6:49 pm)

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

July 2, 2016 8:15 pm  #6

Hi Daryl, thank you. I try to distance myself from him, but at the same time he just won't stay away. We have children together too & so I have to see him often. The bullets on your reply for codependency all fit me. I realized I have been codependent on him. He's all I've ever known. I am seeing a therapist, hoping it helps me over come this. Hoping to find activities too that can give me my own space & take my mind away from him & this.

July 3, 2016 8:07 am  #7

Kt I feel what you are saying.  Please don't worry about still loving him.  I don't think love can ever be a bad thing.  It is what we do with that love that can hurt.  Love and take care of yourself first.  Just because I love my ex doesn't mean I have to let her abuse me.  I admire your compassion for your husband.  I choose to rise above my ex and do the right thing without expecting anything in return.  Me loving her is about me and who I am.  It isn't about her.  While I love her, I am not in love with her the way that I need for a marriage to be.  That is why I left her.  I knew that the relationship we had was not good for me in spite of how much I love her.

July 3, 2016 8:32 am  #8

I find it really warped or crazy..we have to divorce our spouses because we love them.
My lezex always told me all the mean things she'd do if I cheated on her...and then she goes and has a full blown affair.  I see this now for what it is..full blown narcissism. Selfishness.  Immorality justified by imaginary offenses she blames on me. 

It matters little who files the divorce...what matters is treating yourself kindly and humanely...knowing we deserve humane moral treatment. 

May we all find the kindness and peace we deserve.

Last edited by Rob (July 3, 2016 8:33 am)

July 3, 2016 2:21 pm  #9

The only thing you need to talk about is co-parenting items. Use your lawyer to discuss anything related to separating. It sounds cruel but you don't need to ask about their day, job, life, etc. nor do they need to know about yours. Don't track them on social media, etc. If he tries to chit chat about personal things quickly turn back to whatever reason you met for, something about the kids I would assume. Get it very business-like and be strong about it. When you try to break the co-dependency cycle, expect the other half to try to drag you back into that bubble anyway possible including using fear, guilt and shame. Once you break out you will be able to see a new you that you never knew existed.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

July 4, 2016 2:30 am  #10

Thanks Rob, Rick, & Daryl for your advice & understanding. On a lighter note, your names reminded me of the show The Walking Dead & made me lol a lil bit.
Anyway, I've had quite a few people tell me "be kind to yourself" what do they mean by that & how?

Board footera