OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 12, 2024 11:23 am  #1

Feeling out of place

As I read through posts, I feel out of place. I don’t feel angry with my ex, I’m proud of her, proud she is figuring out who she is. I miss her, I’m heartbroken, sad all the time. But I feel our marriage was a success, we grew, I supported her how she needed to be supported to find her true self. I did everything I could as a spouse to support her and her needs/growth. So, I’d call it a success.

I feel out of place here because I’m not angry with her, I don’t feel betrayed or mislead. Maybe I should? Seeing her happy hurts, but it’s from a place of jealousy that it’s not with me, it’s a selfish hurt.

I hope I’m not alone in this feeling, but it definitely feels that way at times.

March 12, 2024 11:56 am  #2

Re: Feeling out of place

Hi SWEngineer75 -You are allowed to feel proud of and supportive of her. Marriage Success is defined by you only. Be okay with that, and don't look for anyone else's validation. You have to be honest with yourself only. You can come here and vent anytime—even if your experience is different from others! 

March 12, 2024 9:52 pm  #3

SWEngineer, I feel some similar vibes to you. I also feel out of place here. My wife was not a narcissist, didn't cheat on me. But I am not as magnanimous as you, I feel anger and betrayal even though she's doing it in the open after coming out to me. But in my good moments, I feel empathy for her and hope for her happiness. But it gets clouded by those feeling of being heartbroken, sad, alone, and abandoned. 

I also am hurting by seeing my wife happy in a new relationship. I haven't thought  of it as jealously, but maybe it is. To me it feels elemental, something deep in my core saying "how can you do that those things with that person instead of me?" I'm not talking about only sex, but intimacy, being a romantic and life partner, going on trips with my children. The feeling of being replaced feels so present all the time. My therapist has made it clear that it is not possible to replace me, and while I understand that, on its face it still feels that way.

Don't feel you should be angry if you are not, accept whatever feeling is right for you, in this moment. It may change, for me grief goes in waves through all the major phases and then wraps back around through all of them again, its not a straight path out of this dark place we're in. 

March 13, 2024 9:12 am  #4

Hey Sweengineer!
Just here to say that you are not the only angerless person here. You can read my posts to get the idea. I am almost one year since finding out and separating, and I was never angry. I can’t say I am
proud of my ex, but that is because I coonect the word “pride” with ego, but I am happy that he is living what he truly feels.
As I joined this forum I also felt a bit lost, and even judged some members for being angry and stuck for what I thought was too long. But i realized how different we all are, and how different our relationships were. I am still so incredibly grateful to have found this place and these people here.
I never doubted if my ex loved me, because I know he did. We had a great, loving realtionship and were best friends. The fact that he is more attracted to men honestly never hurt my ego, but it did break my heart.
And another thing… I am so much better. I live, and love my life. The pain about the ex comes sometimes as a cloud, and then it passes, but it doesn’t debilitate me anymore. Honestly, I love this man and now I am thinking- how great that we had our time together, how great that we grew together, and how great that he dared to let it go and live his truth. I will be fine. Already am.
Sending you love!

March 13, 2024 9:16 am  #5

Adrift456 wrote:

SWEngineer, I feel some similar vibes to you. I also feel out of place here. My wife was not a narcissist, didn't cheat on me. But I am not as magnanimous as you, I feel anger and betrayal even though she's doing it in the open after coming out to me. But in my good moments, I feel empathy for her and hope for her happiness. But it gets clouded by those feeling of being heartbroken, sad, alone, and abandoned. 

I also am hurting by seeing my wife happy in a new relationship. I haven't thought  of it as jealously, but maybe it is. To me it feels elemental, something deep in my core saying "how can you do that those things with that person instead of me?" I'm not talking about only sex, but intimacy, being a romantic and life partner, going on trips with my children. The feeling of being replaced feels so present all the time. My therapist has made it clear that it is not possible to replace me, and while I understand that, on its face it still feels that way.

Don't feel you should be angry if you are not, accept whatever feeling is right for you, in this moment. It may change, for me grief goes in waves through all the major phases and then wraps back around through all of them again, its not a straight path out of this dark place we're in. 

I think you touched on a great point, some of the anger or frustration I do have is seeing her happy and doing life with someone else, doing life in a way that I’d asked for for so long and was told she wasn’t able to.

The grief is a hard thing to manage because it manifests is so many different ways.

Thank you for your reply!

March 13, 2024 4:40 pm  #6

Great advice above. Everyone has their own journey. I was mad, about a year ago. My life has done nothing but get better since the split. My ex is not a good person and she has done and continues to do awful things. Sharing that story with others does not make one angry. It's just sharing the story. I hope you stay, as I believe people who land here need to hear and read all kinds of different stories. Ultimately, they will come to their own conclusions and go down their own path/journey. 

Thanks for being here and posting. I hope you never feel the anger. Time heals all wounds. For me, I will never be more grateful for it all, because I wouldn't be where I am now, had I not experienced what I did. 

March 13, 2024 4:52 pm  #7

ellierigg wrote:

Hey Sweengineer!
Just here to say that you are not the only angerless person here. You can read my posts to get the idea. I am almost one year since finding out and separating, and I was never angry. I can’t say I am
proud of my ex, but that is because I coonect the word “pride” with ego, but I am happy that he is living what he truly feels.
As I joined this forum I also felt a bit lost, and even judged some members for being angry and stuck for what I thought was too long. But i realized how different we all are, and how different our relationships were. I am still so incredibly grateful to have found this place and these people here.
I never doubted if my ex loved me, because I know he did. We had a great, loving realtionship and were best friends. The fact that he is more attracted to men honestly never hurt my ego, but it did break my heart.
And another thing… I am so much better. I live, and love my life. The pain about the ex comes sometimes as a cloud, and then it passes, but it doesn’t debilitate me anymore. Honestly, I love this man and now I am thinking- how great that we had our time together, how great that we grew together, and how great that he dared to let it go and live his truth. I will be fine. Already am.
Sending you love!

Do you still have a good relationship? I;ve never doubted that she loved me, even know, I know she still has love for me as I do for her. We each talk about how we wish we could maintain the friendship piece of our relationship but it makes future partners as well as other people in our life question our decision. Makes partners jealous and suspicious that we're going to get back together, even though she and i both know it doesn't work like that. 

I thank you for your post because I don't feel as alone now, that there are at least a few others that don't have anger and hatred towards their ex. 

March 14, 2024 6:14 am  #8

With us it's like with you and your ex- we have so much love for each other. But we don't see each other much at the moment. We even live in the same building. As he came out I knew I wanted to move out quickly because being together in one apartment was torture, so I moved within the same building. He offered to move out but I knew I needed new walls around me, and there are also other reasons having to do with my job that make this building perfect for me. I realise that me knowing that he is still just one floor away doesn't make it easier for me, but that is just how it is. But I have to say, and this is bad, that it also feels good to know that he is close. 
tWe used to meet more often, talk, cry, or just call each other when one of us needed help with some tasks. Six moths ago his new partner moved in. Now, I really am not a jealous person. What he has with his new parter has nothing to do with me. But I still don't want any contact with his new person. I also know the story of how they met and moved in together, and it is a weird one (not just my feeling, everyone around my ex is confused by this). 
I would never ever interfere in their life, but my ex knows that if he talks to me, I will be honest. (He talked to me about his first gay relationship and it turned out exactly how I told him it would). So right now, my ex wants to live in his ""bubble", and talking to me would burst it. And I respect his life and his wishes, so I'm staying away. So for the last couple of months we see each other much less, and talk less. 
But the closeness between us is still there, and that is the most beautiful and painful part. I read somewhere that grief is just love with nowhere to go. I guess it is easier for him because he moved on, for me that part is the hardest. I will always love him, but I have to learn a new way to love him. And I  have absolutely no doubt that when more time passes we will be able to share more of our lives together and be there for each other, just in a new way.

Last edited by ellierigg (March 14, 2024 6:16 am)

March 14, 2024 4:02 pm  #9

my two cent's worth - feelings are feelings.  we all have them. 

something I read somewhere really struck home to me as I was trying to work things out - your feelings are generally a more reliable indicator for what is going on than your thoughts.

I have found this to be true in small things - like someone pretending to be happy with what you have offered when really they're not.  and big things - feeling unloved and alone in my marriage.

feeling angry is not a sin - it doesn't make you a bad person, or act like a bad person and it can be really helpful to listen to what your anger has to say.

Last edited by lily (March 14, 2024 4:04 pm)

March 22, 2024 11:55 pm  #10

Lily - thank you for the words of wisdom.

Everyone has a different journey. I remember many times on this forum where I would get mad at myself for not being able to "move on" like others were doing. And I've felt the judgement and been told many times to move on, stop being angry, let it go, don't get stuck being so negative....and, honestly, it made me feel even worse.

Your journey takes as long as it takes. But I agree, I don't understand why everyone is so afraid of the "negative" emotions. 

There is nothing wrong with being angry, hurt, betrayed, resentful, even hateful. It's all a part of the process. I grew up in home where showing any extremes in emotion was "bad" and crying was seen as weakness. Over the past few years I think I've experienced enough emotions for a lifetime....and I actually feel better. When I just took a step back and stopped trying to control my feelings and stopped trying to now allow anything negative, I finally felt some of the healing starting.

Whether you experience anger or not in the process.....embrace the emotions you have, listen to what they have to say, and work your way through whatever comes - the good, the bad and the ugly.

I can say that, at first, I was very supportive and I wasn't angry. That lasted for over 3 years before the bubble burst - so everyone early on in this process, be aware it takes awhile to process, and you're likely going to experience a roller coaster of the good and the bad, and all are perfectly normal. 

Board footera