OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 23, 2024 8:34 am  #1

Still trying to figure it all out...

My wife of 8 years had been alluding to her sexual orientation for several years. She is 43 and I am 46. After several talks the past few months, she admitted she is a lesbian. She vows that she still loves me (and is in love with me) despite admittedly not having interest in men. She has not had the opportunity to be with a woman emotionally, and has been on only a couple of dates. I wholeheartedly support her choices and her definition of identity, as it is not my story. With that, without oversharing, we still are intimate, but she admits that thoughts of women predominate her mind throughout. I have expressed that I feel she will leave/ move on once she finds the right relationship. She also admits she feels "safe and supported" in our relationship, as she is understandably scared of the unknown. She has been struggling with her feelings for longer than she has been willing to admit, a fact I pointed out to her a couple of weeks ago. This has partially stopped her from fully seeking out a relationship with a woman. She has also discussed the possibility of a polyamorus relationship, which I don't feel would work for me.She has come out to the children, her father, and several people, but notably, not her mother or her best friend. I want her to spend more time on being her true self and happy. I don't want her (or anyone else for that matter) to worry about me, as I will be fine. I have not been completely honest in the fact that I am mainly ready to move on, because I feel it is a matter of time before she goes. I also have not shared that I feel that she loves me, but is not sincerely in love with me. I want to spend time of seeking clarity for myself, but want to make sure she and my daughter are good first.We share 5 children ages (28, 24, 16, 12, & 8) with the youngest being my only biological child and the others are my step children. I remain in this situation primarily for my daughter, as I want her to see how even a failing relationship can be supportive and loving. I don't want her to feel that a relationship has to be contentious or adversarial, even in failure. Though I am cautious about her seeing us stay in a relationship that one of us is not completely happy. If our relationship were to end, I want it to be on the best possible terms.What I guess this comes down to is figuring out what to do and expect next. I want to find ways to more effectively support her and to get her to where she wants to be. Fight it as she may, when she says things like "I'm no longer interested in men....except you." I feel as if the writing is on the wall. I do feel at a loss at times, because I know I need to take care of myself, but also want to do what is right for everyone else. I am not in the least bit embarrassed, ashamed, or blaming her for how she feels. At our ages, time is of the essence. I would like to seek some support, just so I feel more secure in the choices I am making and the path I wish to pursue.

Board footera