OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 24, 2024 4:32 pm  #1

Forgiveness

I've been thinking about why I'm having a hard time forgiving my bisexual husband for cheating and deceiving me.   I think that it's because he hasn't really apologized adequately.   He's sorry that he hurt me, but he really isn't sorry about the extramarital sex.   He doesn't really believe that it was cheating.   

January 24, 2024 5:48 pm  #2

Re: Forgiveness

I'll never get acknowledgement from A. He won't look me in the eye and honestly talk about his inner self so I can only guess the why of it.
I don't even want to ask him hard questions because I feel any apology/admission should come from him. No prompting from me.

It was easier once the decision to leave was made...to put the thought of forgiveness on a shelf where it may gather dust but I can always dust it off if he ever finds a conscience

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

February 3, 2024 11:12 am  #3

I know what you mean.  I thought about forgiveness. a lot! First, I decided I could only feel compassion for him for being gay.  I don't believe anyone can CHOOSE their sexuality, and why would they when the world is against them? My ex is still in the closet, even after both of his parents died. He's so ashamed he can't admit it.  He's angry at me for admitting it for him, even when I presented him with his own black and white evidence! Just as your spouse didn't believe he was cheating, mine said he was only having sexual fantasies, that it wasn't real, so he didn't do anything. He didn't believe he is gay either. So, I think the ANGER we feel is what prevents forgiveness. I can't forgive MYSELF for being so blind and wasting my younger life on a lie! I'm mostly angry that he allowed us to have a child whose life should not have included this hardship on all of us! We can't tell him we forgive him, because as long as someone won't admit what the problem IS, you can't express your feelings about it! Regardless, forgiveness is for US,not for them. It's to relieve our own pain so that we can release them and let them go into our past never to return. 

February 6, 2024 3:53 pm  #4

People tend to get very judgmental if you refuse to go along with "forgiveness" but I'm doing fine without having to forgive.  It wasn't just the cheating, and the lying about being gay.  I found out about a year into the divorce process, when I finally got a look at the bank statements, he'd been skimming off money for the entirety of our marriage.  I have no idea where he parked it all.  So my feeling is, in the unlikely event he ever expresses remorse, he's gonna have to make thing right.  And I know that's never going to happen.

February 7, 2024 7:18 pm  #5

I did better with the concept of forgiveness when I separated reconciliation from it. It was the idea of saying everything is ok now and we have a clean slate.  I'm supposed to have warm and fuzzy feelings toward you now. Reconciliation is possible only if the other person is sincere in admitting their wrongdoing and truly changes their life. Otherwise, forget it!

Forgiveness is a slow process of processing the anger so bitterness and the desire for revenge don't poison my life.

Am a Catholic and a priest explained the above to me. It's helped me immensely, tbh.  :-)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

February 9, 2024 3:37 am  #6

Forgiveness is for YOU. It will help YOU move past all of the pain easier but the PTSD of trauma will rear its ugly head during triggers. You must make sure you take care of yourself during these times. You are stronger than you know and this too shall pass. Forgiveness isn't about forgetting nor to say to the other person that what they did was ok. It's not.You may always carry this with you but doesn't have to rule your life. Prayers for you. Remember,  narcissistic people will not apologize for things they feel they have a RIGHT to....you may never get that and you can also kill them with kindness.

February 10, 2024 1:19 am  #7

In my case, I never got an apology for anything.  I could never “kill mine with kindness”.  It was a losing battle, no matter how perfect I tried to be, and how I changed my behavior as somehow everything was my fault.  BUT, leaving him and NO contact was one way to solve the problem for me.  That was the only way to kill the narcissistic abusive behavior.  I feel I never will forgive him for all the torment etc that he inflicted off and on for 20 yrs.  I forgive myself for not recognizing what was going on at first, and putting up with the narcisstic and emotional abuse.

February 11, 2024 10:34 am  #8

I came on today to post a question. My question fits perfectly on this feed. I am coming up on a year of discovery. My divorce was final in November. I have gotten apology after apology. My difficulty right now is that I am angry and sad, with the realization that my ex may have found someone else. After all, he doesn’t have to whore around anymore. Now he can find a relationship that is meaningful. I still love him very much, and I was willing to move forward in a sexless relationship/marriage. He was my best friend. We were married for 24 years together for 26. We have one daughter. She is an adult and in college. I know she is having a difficult time as well. My question is, I want to be happy for him for finding his authentic life and a partner, but how? How can I be happy for him? My therapist would tell me I don’t need to be happy for him. So, is it jealousy? I have no desire to be in a relationship with anyone. I am totally happy being solo at this time in my life. I’m 60 and have no desire to move forward in another relationship. I have many friends and a rich, social life. Still, I can’t get over the fact that he has moved on and found someone. Even if it isn’t true, it will be eventually. He is the one who wanted this and wanted to live his authentic lifestyle. Again, how can I deal with these feelings of jealousy?

February 12, 2024 6:18 pm  #9

TeeWee wrote:

he can find a relationship that is meaningful. I still love him very much, and I was willing to move forward in a sexless relationship/marriage. He was my best friend. We were married for 24 years together for 26. We have one daughter. She is an adult and in college. I know she is having a difficult time as well. My question is, I want to be happy for him for finding his authentic life and a partner, but how? How can I be happy for him? My therapist would tell me I don’t need to be happy for him. So, is it jealousy? I have no desire to be in a relationship with anyone. I am totally happy being solo at this time in my life. I’m 60 and have no desire to move forward in another relationship. I have many friends and a rich, social life. Still, I can’t get over the fact that he has moved on and found someone. Even if it isn’t true, it will be eventually. He is the one who wanted this and wanted to live his authentic lifestyle. Again, how can I deal with these feelings of jealousy?

Welcome to the group, TeeWee. Am sorry you find yourself here.

I'm not sure but it is painful to have a marriage end. It's one of the most stressful experiences people go through in life.

I felt a range of emotions from happy that the marriage was over, to grief over a fake marriage, to anger at his lies and betrayal of me. My ex didn't have the usual reasons to be in the closet such as repressive religious upbringing or us living in a very conservative area. It was the opposite. He used me to finance a work-free life and feed a sexual addiction 24/7. It could have been a man he did this to. I am pretty sure he did this to a boyfriend before he met me. This man did the smart thing and dumped him.

It's taken time for me to process my feelings and accept them. Not all of them are positive or nice towards my late ex. It's ok with me to feel not so charitable when I think about his behavior.

It's not as painful as it used to be which I'm happy about.  It's nice to concentrate on my own happiness. 

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

March 6, 2024 3:02 pm  #10

The posts by M-kate and TeeWee made me finally register and decide to post because they spoke to me. These forums so often are filled with anger (while totally understandable because I also have anger), the anger is not helpful in getting out of this emotional hole.
I am struggling mightily with forgiveness and not feeling angry and resentful. Yesterday was the 1 year "anniversary" of my wife coming out to me. She never cheated on me, but very soon after disclosure started a relationship with her co-worker and said she was in love. 
She has apologized a thousand times to me, but it all comes off as words compared to the actions. We had been together for 16 years, I'm 40 now, basically our entire adult life, have two young children, and are scheduled for our divorce hearing in a month after mediating to an agreement last October.

There is nothing to be bitter about regarding the divorce, the child custody, money, doing things behind my back, etc. But to me, those are the details about life, love is what makes life worth living. Its all so soulbreaking, this was my person, my partner in everything, our relationship always felt to me like a dream. She is conscientious to me, but is also moving on from me and its heartbreaking. Like TeeWee is dealing with on the difficulty that their partner may have found someone else. It would be one thing to disclose this thing and make us both alone, but she never experienced what I have for the last year of not only being dropped by the most important person in the world to you, but to also be alone during that time and feeling the emptiness of that void in your life. 

I want her back in my life, but I would need to forgive her in order to do that. Finding a way to forgive and come face to face with her hand in hand with her girlfriend just seems impossible. 

Board footera