OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2024 2:35 pm  #1

Social Science Research on Infidelity and Divorce Rates Bisexuals

Hi All,

There is lots of anecdotal cases, but these are not a representation of the general population. Could anyone point me towards research studies on infidelity and divorce rates for bisexual women in relationships and marriage with men over the long term?

I am skeptical of the inevitability of divorce or infidelity or poor relationship satisfaction. Success in these areas must depend on many factors in most cases. The quality of the relationship overall and the individuals involved must be key pieces of the puzzle. 

The doomsday scenerio of an otherwise happy couple breaking apart because of some long suppressed homosexual desires bursting out in mid life may not be the majority. I can't helping thinking there are other factors at play in these unhappy marriages.

I am looking for studies, from a variety of perspectives, on the topic. Are there any at all?

January 23, 2024 2:06 pm  #2

Re: Social Science Research on Infidelity and Divorce Rates Bisexuals

Jay wrote:

...........Could anyone point me towards research studies on infidelity and divorce rates for bisexual women in relationships and marriage with men over the long term?......

Is your google broken?

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

January 23, 2024 3:45 pm  #3

I'm interested in statistics as well.  I look for information from Google a lot, but I don't really see comprehensive data.   I think that I read somewhere that only 15% of MOM last for more than 5 years.   It seems like the typical scenario is that the bi / gay spouse comes out to the straight spouse (or they get caught) and then they eventually want to open up the marriage or they want to leave the marriage.  

Last edited by M-Kate (January 23, 2024 8:06 pm)

January 24, 2024 1:57 am  #4

M-Kate wrote:

.........I think that I read somewhere that only 15% of MOM last for more than 5 years....

I read an article a few years ago....so long ago I remember only one detail....that a r'ship where a spouse comes out one third of them end after 3 years. 
3 years was the measure I used to determine whether or not to continue/try any more/give up on my own r'ship. 

It turned out to be a good way to gauge it and gave me a "if it's not better by this date" point in time to work towards.

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

January 24, 2024 3:01 pm  #5

My ex's idea of filling out the census form is to tell lies about everything.

No seriously, where are these figures going to come from?  

It's hard enough to get reputable figures on any social science but the closet?  it probably makes it even harder though I have to say there's a lot of lies being told about anything and everything wherever you are whatever time of day.

The last thing I went looking for information on was how to make a meringue and really I got a lot more good information than would have been possible before Google.  But back then, when I had a big question on my mind and I asked google there was just the straight spouse network that looked in any way like a promising option.  

I'd found this forum (now hidden in the belly of OurPath) where a woman answered my question - why do straight women marry gay men with the simple answer of because they didn't know.  Oh. It was so helpful.

I've been on here for years now, and read a lot of posts, seeing all the eerie similarities in our individual stories has helped a lot.  

Other than this forum, the most interesting thing I found was when I was googling about intersex.  There was a list of the different types of intersex and an estimation of less than one percent of people having a difference at chromosomal level - ie not xx or xy - something different like xxy.

January 26, 2024 1:10 pm  #6

Hello Jay! 
Unfortunately there just simply are no REPUTABLE studies out there. I personally have found after over 17 years in spaces such as this.. that the happy, successful, "normal" couples living in mixed orientation relationships are simply just doing it quietly. As if it is no big deal. Often they are confused about why it is such a big deal and why groups like this are needed.... so the data is very skewed. People find themselves in these spaces because they are struggling. That makes it feel like ALL mixed orientation relationships must be struggling or on the brink of failure but it simply is not true. We are just seeing into a very specific window here. I do want to let you know there are positive spaces out there with many couples who are striving to make it work.  

You hit the nail on the head right here..

"Success in these areas must depend on many factors in most cases. The quality of the relationship overall and the individuals involved must be key pieces of the puzzle. "

Straight wife to wonderful Bi husband 
20+ years together, out to me for 17+ 
Monogamous
https://www.morandmore.org/

Board footera