OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2024 11:36 am  #1

Can he be happy?

Hello, I’m new to the group. I’ve been reading a lot on the forum over the last few weeks since my husband of 12 years told me he is attracted to men. He identifies now as bi, although growing up in Texas in a deeply religious and conservative house makes even this much uncomfortable for him (we now live in a more liberal state).

He has struggled with depression for many years and we both are realizing now that the self-hate and internalized homophobia is likely a major factor. Key to our situation is that he has not lied or cheated, and I absolutely trust him. He’s a very honest person, we have a strong and loving marriage without the abuse that I’ve read here is so common in these situations.

Here’s my struggle: the idea of being able to “try it out” - have sex with a man - is starting to feel more and more important to him. He’s very angry that he never got to explore his sexuality as a young person and gets tearfully upset at the thought of living the rest of his life never knowing what it would be like. I am extremely uncomfortable with this. I don’t want an open marriage and he has agreed not to (for now) because he does not want to do anything that might jeopardize our relationship. He does want to keep the conversation open.

I feel like I’m stuck between two terrible options. I keep my boundary and he gets more and more depressed and resentful (a big assumption, I know), or I agree to let him try it out, feeling awful about it, and he discovers it’s something he can’t live without (another big assumption).

I used to think the worst case scenario was him deciding he is gay and wanting a divorce. Now I think it would be far worse to end up depressed, resentful, and unable to ever be truly happy because he’s so afraid of losing the good marriage and family life that we have. Not to mention the years we put on in the meantime.
What do we do?

Last edited by EleanorIsntHere (January 13, 2024 11:36 am)

January 13, 2024 12:35 pm  #2

Re: Can he be happy?

** I used to think the worst case scenario was him deciding he is gay and wanting a divorce. Now I think it would be far worse to end up depressed, resentful, and unable to ever be truly happy because he’s so afraid of losing the good marriage and family life that we have. Not to mention the years we put on in the meantime.
What do we do? **

Eleanor 🤗 welcome to our Forum.

Gay, bisexual, trans....they ultimately all mean the same. Your husband will never be the man you thought would be yours alone forever. Even if he never touches another man he will always have the feeling he wants that touch... inside him. I can see, in stressing about what this means for you, you focus more on how your husband is feeling, what he's missing out on, what it's doing to him 
But what about you? This is your life too.

Many of us, in trying to save our significant others end up losing ourselves in the process, because in fighting something we  can't see or trust in we forget that we deserve respect and a good life too

I tried for years to make the 38 years with my partner work but in the end his bisexuality, the way he saw the world and saw me, the separations he could make between the 2 parts of who he was meant that if I didn't break away I'd regret it for the rest of my life.
So I did. It's the best and worst thing I ever did but I'll never regret it.

Elle

You are what matters on this Forum Eleanor. We're here to help you

KIA KAHA                       

January 13, 2024 1:20 pm  #3

Dear Eleanor, I am in a similar situation.   My bisexual husband has agreed to a monogamous relationship because I do not want an open marriage.   He doesn't want a divorce.  It still bothers me that he would like to have sex with men on the side.  I think that he may cheat again in the future if he thought he could get away with it.  However, I have asked him to let me know if he decides that he really wants to explore his homosexuality and I won't blow up his life or jeopardize his relationship with our son.  I just don't want him to deceive me.  We could part as friends.   It's all unsettling.   I don't think I'd be happier if we were to divorce now.  I may feel differently in the future.   He has been trying to be attentive and loving.   He acts like he doesn't want me to leave him.  I think about his sexual attraction to men almost constantly.   I don't think that I really "understand" bisexuality.   I think that perhaps it would be easier if he told me he was gay.   It seems that married bisexual men want to have their cake and eat it too. LOL 

Last edited by M-Kate (January 13, 2024 1:35 pm)

January 25, 2024 5:32 pm  #4

Hello,
I hope you are doing well. I know all of this is still incredibly fresh and feels scary. We have all been where you are. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and your feelings are valid. 

It is 1,000% ok to not ever be ok with non-monogamy. When my bi husband came out 17 years ago I was very clear that monogamy was all I wanted. For us, I found that communication was key. Constant, open, honest, judgment-free communication. We also had to learn to speak each other's language, because while we were talking a lot.. we were not always communicating EFFECTIVELY. It took some time for BOTH of us to learn to listen and HEAR each other and stop trying to do those things from a place of fear. When it was from a place of fear nothing was getting through. The biggest thing for us was finding ways to SAFELY have these conversations about all the possibilities of life (including non-monogamy).  Being open to learning about things and understanding them better does not mean you're agreeing to them. But educating yourself and also allowing him the safe space to talk about his feelings can only bring you both closer and give you all the information you need to make a fully informed decision. 

He just came out. It is VERY common for a newly out partner (ESPECIALLY one who has severely repressed their feelings for the reasons you stated) to have a bit of a dramatic awakening. Sometimes they go through something referred to as a second puberty or a second adolescence. They can often get lost in their emotions and the excitement of FINALLY allowing themselves to feel things they have never allowed themselves to feel. Sometimes they can get blinders on and get a little carried away. It is ok to call this out. They still need to be respectful of your feelings and be patient. It is also very common for a lot of bi folks to have a VERY strong urge to want to explore right after coming out. Especially in older generations as they tend to have a bigger feeling of what if or that they might be missing out. Mid-life crises are common across all people... bi folks just might have an added level of complication to that feeling. Their feeling this way is common and understandable, but that doesn't mean your only choice is to let them explore or nothing will ever be ok again. They will need to do some introspective work on their end to sit with these feelings and understand themselves on a deeper level. 

Try not to stress yourself too much right now with the what-ifs and all the terrible things that COULD be. There are PLENTY of negative examples of what your relationship could look like if you go looking hard enough. Try to focus on the person you love and just trying to understand him. He has shared something with you that he might have been terrified to share with anyone his entire life. You have power here, even if it doesn't feel that way. You don't have to do anything that doesn't feel right for you. The important thing is for both of you to remain open to the conversations ahead. Go forward with empathy, love, and patience. 

Straight wife to wonderful Bi husband 
20+ years together, out to me for 17+ 
Monogamous
https://www.morandmore.org/

January 26, 2024 4:26 pm  #5

I don't understand why infidelity with a man would be any more acceptable than infidelity with a woman.  My bisexual husband didn't / doesn't think that it's really cheating.  He said that he didn't tell me because he thought that it would be best to keep that part of his life "separate" from me so that it wouldn't hurt me.  I believe that it's selfish and dishonorable behavior.  

January 26, 2024 5:01 pm  #6

He also said that he never lied to me.  He said "where is the lie"?  WTF

January 26, 2024 5:10 pm  #7

M-Kate
I definitely do not find it any more or less acceptable. Infidelity is infidelity. People cheat on their partners every day. Some people can come back from that and rebuild the relationship and some never can. A lot of bisexual men have expressed that they do not see it as cheating because it was with a man... honestly, I think that might be a form of compartmentalization and internal justification to make themselves feel better. To minimize behavior they likely knew was not ok. 

Straight wife to wonderful Bi husband 
20+ years together, out to me for 17+ 
Monogamous
https://www.morandmore.org/

January 26, 2024 5:30 pm  #8

Yes, that makes sense to me.  I think that I'm still struggling emotionally since he really hasn't apologized adequately.  He doesn't even acknowledge that he deceived me for 29 years.   He has compartmentalized and rationalized his extramarital sex. He has apologized for hurting me, but not for his behavior.  I think that he's sorry that I found out (because he was being blackmailed).  

January 26, 2024 5:37 pm  #9

He said it was none of my business.   He says that he loves me and wants to recommit to our marriage and that he won't seek out sex with men again, but I don't trust him. 

Last edited by M-Kate (January 26, 2024 7:51 pm)

January 27, 2024 2:01 am  #10

M-Kate wrote:

My bisexual husband didn't / doesn't think that it's really cheating.  He said that he didn't tell me because he thought that it would be best to keep that part of his life "separate" from me so that it wouldn't hurt me. 

Yeah that's what A. said too. He thought keeping it separate, and that it was a man, meant 
it was somehow less hurtful

E

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera