OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 14, 2023 7:22 pm  #1

31 years together and 4 years post disclosure

We are so proud of us. I know it’s an odd thing to say, but we have seen so many others around us divorce and remarry, divorce again etc… We’re really proud of us as a couple. We surmise we probably have a healthier marriage than more than 80% of those we know. We just celebrated a wedding anniversary so my husband and I were talking about all of this. It’s pretty amazing.

Tangled

Last edited by TangledOil (August 14, 2023 7:33 pm)

December 31, 2023 8:29 pm  #2

Re: 31 years together and 4 years post disclosure

Hi Tangled,

Congratulations on 31 year of marriage and being four year post disclosure as of August.  I am sorry that no one else has taken the time to congratulate you.  You should be proud of your marriage.  

I am currently about 5 days post disclosure/discovery. I am proud that I ate real food today and have not had a panic attack.  We have already met with a counselor and have individual appointments for this coming week.  We are talking with each other a lot.

What advice would your give or what do you wish you had known when you were at this stage of your journey.  

February 28, 2024 2:24 am  #3

Re: 31 years together and 4 years post disclosure

Congratulations, Tangled! My husband came out to me as bi just over two months ago. We are both committed to staying married and I generally couldn't wish for a better partner. He is respectful, smart, successful, a great farther, handsome, we are emotionally close and we have great sex. Despite all this, it is hard. I feel sad for him having to keep this secret all his life; and for me having to deal with this whole new side of him. I have to say my self esteem was shaken. How do I compete with THAT, right? I am slowly coming back online, but it is an emotional roller-coaster. It is inspiring to have positive examples!!! What would you say were the most important components that saved your marriage?

Last edited by Alex1984 (February 28, 2024 2:27 am)

Board footera