OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 22, 2016 7:15 pm  #1

The latest

So I had my counselling appointment yesterday.  I told him I was going as I was heading out the door and he was shocked.  I admit I was a bit chicken shit in waiting until the last minute.  At the counsellor I described to her what was happening and afterwards she pulls out this 'wheel' of abusive behaviours and it was verbatim what I had just said minus any of the physically abusive behaviours and minus the financial control he's never done that either.  It was sort of weird to see it there like that on paper and have it validated by a professional.  When I literally just described to her those behaviours I can't really argue that he's not controlling/manipulative.  So there you have it.

​When I got home I told him why I was upset with him minus discussing the gay thing, we do not speak of that, and anyway his behaviour is reason enough to send me to a therapist.  What did he do...defend his actions!  Nothing, didn't take me up on my offer to go with me to the counsellor, nor did he agree to see one when I asked.  He didn't apologize, he barely said anything.  I don't know what I expected really I think he just wants to sweep it under the rug as per usual.  None of this is news to him, we've discussed these behaviours many times I just hadn't connected the dots that is was controlling behaviour and that really pisses me off.

He's never happy or satisfied with what is a pretty good life, healthy children, good house, good car, good financial state, so I asked him about that, I asked him to really think about it and don't answer me but do I make him happy.  I am the one thing constantly in his life and he's never been happy, he changes jobs, friends, we moved, whatever it is we do it and is not satisfied.  So is it me he's not happy with? 

​Funny the gay thing wasn't enough, I thought we could work on THAT?  What was wrong with me?  But this I don't think it's possible.  I really think the outcome would have been different if he had been forthcoming and honest with me.  I tried so hard, he did not.  So that time has passed and I am over feeling sorry for him and driving my self mad from exhaustion, it's not fair to me. 

​We're hardly speaking to one another so it's a bit awkward.  The fact that I have work to do gives me an excuse to be tucked away in the basement working late to avoid speaking to him.  I don't really know what to do next.  Like I said he is actively working on his own business so it will be months before he has any significant income at all.  Likely longer that that before he can support himself.  I cannot kick him out, it was half my idea to come up here to the country to make a go of freeing ourselves from our office jobs.  I might just transition myself to the spare bedroom for now.  What I am afraid of is that he won't care if I do, I think if that happens it will be very hurtful.

​Vicky

November 22, 2016 8:59 pm  #2

Re: The latest

Hello. It's called Power and Control Wheel.  I have a copy of it in front of me. I got it at a meeting for women in abusive relationships. Under violence-using coercion & threats. Using intimidation. Sexual-using emotional abuse -using isolation. Violence-minimizing,  denying &blaming. Using children. Physical-using male privilege- using economic abuse.   Each section in the wheel gives examples of the type of abuse. Domestic Abuse Intervention Project in Duluth MN developed the Power and Control Wheel. I hope you can locate it online. God Bless. Hope this helps.

November 22, 2016 9:21 pm  #3

I'll send you an email with a pic.  I'll also forward you the link of what she said were tools to create boundaries.  Like what I expect in the relationship. 

But basically from the wheel:
​making her afraid by smashing her things (destroying her property) he only does this occasionally but it's usually out of the blue and unwarranted and overreacting to a silly thing

​Making her think she's crazy

​making her feel guilty (he's a pro at that and does it regularly)

​controlling what she does, who she sees and talks to, where she goes, limiting her outside involvement (he's scared a lot of my friends off usually and this had been a bone of contention for me for a long time, I broke up with him over this but then discovered I was pregnant)

​making light of the abuse and not taking her concerns about it seriously, saying it didn't happen. 

​There were more things on the wheel but these are what applied to me.  There are things not on the wheel that he does but it's basically a pattern of controlling my emotions and manipulating me by making me feel guilty.  It's shocking how long I've made excuses for this behaviour and normalized it, I'm shaking my head at myself.  It's like now I've realized it I can't believe it, shit like making me feel guilty if I do something nice for someone or go to a movie with them, he'll say 'I would've liked to go with you to that movie' or 'I would have liked if you had bought me that'  I am always balancing what I do with others so for example if I see a movie with someone I make sure to suggest we should have a date night the next day, or else he'll say something about how I enjoy being with other people and not him, and if I do something nice for someone I do something nice for him too so he won't complain to me that I don't think of doing those things for him (not true at all).  I'll need to run errands and he'll want all of us to go, ya me him and 2 small kids should go to the grocery store, the drycleaner, the hardware store, etc.  Oh great idea.  But he wants to 'spend time with me' he says.

This past year I had already been realizing how I am always sacrificing my time, my appearance - no time for a haircut or clothing shopping because I don't want him pissed I was gone too long.  I often tried to squeeze these things in on my lunch break, I literally would dread walking in the house because I didn't know if he was going to be angry with me for being gone.  So this all sort of fell into place.  I had been starting to push back lately and he had been backing down, but how stupid was I that I just never noticed how bad it had gotten.  Maybe the push back I was giving him was the reason he's been over reacting to silly things lately, getting overly mad at the dumbest things.  Sorry for the rant, I am just stunned, it's cathartic to write it down and I'm just so mad at myself.  My blame in this is that I turned a blind eye to how bad it was with family and friends, we would argue about it and I would 'put my foot down' and threaten to leave but then I never did it.  I wonder what I should do about that, apologize to them, say something to them like that I realize it was a mistake that I'm sorry they had to put up with it?

I honestly think the counsellor thinks I should leave him, she didn't say that at all but she said 'I won't tell you whether you should stay or go' that it would be up to me to decide that. 

​Vicky

November 22, 2016 9:25 pm  #4

One last thing.  Now that I see the light, it is it strange to feel a bit relieved, maybe you can even call it excited?  It's like wow, I am not going to put up with this.  No way. I'm looking forward to it.  Maybe I'll go shopping tomorrow.

November 22, 2016 9:28 pm  #5

November 22, 2016 9:43 pm  #6

I tried repeatedly to PM you JK, but I keep getting an error message.  Oh well maybe someone else can benefit from these links.  You know what if feels good to hear these things aren't normal in a relationship and that I am not crazy or overreacting. 

http://psychcentral.com/lib/10-way-to-build-and-preserve-better-boundaries/
http://psychcentral.com/lib/the-importance-of-personal-boundaries/
http://www.oprah.com/spirit/Begin-to-Set-Personal-Boundaries_1

Vicky

November 23, 2016 9:24 am  #7

Hi JK,
​I can't send you private messages, it's not working for some reason I get an error.  PM me at my yahoo account if you want to.
​Vicky

November 25, 2016 11:46 am  #8

Oh good. He's evolving. He's now using the kids to make me feel guilty.  I am away for the night and he's had them call me twice.  My children are young they don't know how to use the phone and have never called me before.

So it begins...

November 25, 2016 7:48 pm  #9

Vicky, jk,

Can't make this stuff up.  These gay spouses still think they did nothing wrong.  It still boggles my mind to this day.  Somehow they have convinced themselves that they are morally right.

My update ..thanksgiving went well my kids were with me and my parents the latter half of the day...since their cousins were there they enjoyed it immensely. ..they was no bitter battle with the ex since she had them the beginning of the day..everyone was appeased.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

November 26, 2016 1:34 am  #10

jkpeace wrote:

Rob,
Am I reading correctly?  You had a good Thanksgiving?  Hurray!!  I'm so happy for you (& your kids).

Yeah..my parents and siblings have  been great..it's interesting how these spouses destroy families yet they cannot destroy real authentic love from ones old family. I want my kids to see that.  The kids are entitled to my safe haven.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

Board footera