OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 16, 2016 4:32 pm  #1

What is it really like when they move out?

I'm nearing the end of my divorce.  I'll be done in either December or January.  I have a clause saying that she can stay in the home until she finds her own place, up to 6 months after divorce.  But I know that she is itching to buy a house and move out so i don't think it will take that long.   I suspect she will move in the next 60 days. 

What is it really like?

I'm looking forward to the freedom.  I want to move some furniture around, get a new TV, use a bit more closet space, repaint a bit, etc.  I look forward to being able to go see a movie any time I want or go out with a friend and not have to check in at home first to make sure she didn't have plans already.

I'm really scared of being lonely.  I'll have my boys 50% of the time, but what about the other 50% when they are with their mother?  I'm not even so scared of just being in the house alone..  What I'm really scared about is being lonely.  Even though our sex life wasn't fulfilling I still enjoyed being married.  I liked living my life with her.  It was nice to have someone to cook and eat with, someone to run errands with, someone to talk to, watch TV with, etc.. It was nice to have someone to hug me when I was having a bad day.  Someone to tell me "it's ok" when I was stressed.  

Even in this horrible purgatory of going through divorce, I still feel a little bit of love from her.  We still talk, we still hug, still ask each other how our days went.  I still have a shoulder to cry on. It's nowhere near what it used to be.. but it's still better having someone that says they care about me. 

How hard was it for the rest of you when your spouse moved out?

I know some of you were abused or constantly fighting, so it would have been a relief for you.  But isn't it still hard to be alone?  How much is that going to hurt?  How long is it going to last?

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

November 16, 2016 5:34 pm  #2

Re: What is it really like when they move out?

I can only speak for myself, but The relief I felt was indescribable. I knew things were obviously bad, but I didn't know how awful and soul sucking they were for me until he finally left. It was like a black curtain was lifted and the light started coming back through the windows. My insomnia was gone that night, which I had been struggling with for years, and has stayed gone, I might add! I've never minded being alone, so I'm fine with some down time, and I enjoy it. I made some new single friends, and keep busy with work and other activities I enjoy. It's going to be an adjustment for you, but I think you'll get into a new routine and be just fine. I was happy with him taking the Living room furniture , cause I associated that with him sitting in them anyway, and picked out what I wanted new. Then I had the kitchen repainted. Neither cost that much. And yes, you will probably get lonely at times, just accept it , and it will pass. Use that time to develop your very best kick ass self!

November 16, 2016 10:24 pm  #3

".. We still talk, we still hug, still ask each other how our days went..."

Sigh...I'm thinking all the guys here have saints for ex's or soon to be ex's.    In my hell (purgatory would be better) my ex could not look at me without flying to violent profanity and  rage..when not raging she made sure she had discrete mean things to say.. otherwise it became complete silence.  Years ago it was nice to come home to a hug and have someone to eat and do things with.   But TGT and the divorce made life a  toxic hell.    Eggshells, rage, silence... I can still shake just writing about it.

I 'm still struggling with the alone thing.  There was and still is immediate relief from the toxic hell..  but my enthusiasm dwindled as I have my kids less  and am by myself more.  I'm getting used to it.. I'm much better company to myself than someone screaming me.     I 'm safe and relish the peace.

I found having a routine and schedule helps a lot both with the loneliness and keeping life simple.  

Last edited by Rob (November 16, 2016 10:26 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

November 17, 2016 2:16 am  #4

lostdad,

I'm in a similar situation.  My wife is house shopping but plans to stay in the family home until summer (when our youngest graduates high school).  However, my wife is less friendly.

I am terrified of being alone; we have been married over 20 years and my youngest child will move away to college next August--probably far away.  I spent a long time trying to figure out why I married her and stayed with her (it has been four years since I found evidence that convinced me she was a lesbian),  I wanted to stay near my kids, but I think my fear of being alone (fear of reliving the crushing loneliness and isolation of my childhood) has kept me here.  Half a century of fearing isolation has made her departure seem terrifying.

I regularly go through waves of excitement followed by crushing fear.  I imagine how I will de-clutter the house and make it my own.  I imagine the overwhelming pain of loneliness.  I imagine the freedom to do what I want.  I imagine the solitude.  I image having sex (it has been many years).

HOWEVER, lately I've started thinking about my single years before marriage and instead of just thinking "that sucked", I've been trying to retrieve and relive those feelings.  I try to wear those feelings in my current life and much to my surprise they don't feel nearly as bad as I remember them.  They actually feel  ok--better than having my wife in the house.  Facing my fears head on has relieved some of their strength.  Sorry to sound trite, but maybe the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

Even though I am in your situation and can't advise you from the other side, I encourage you push away that preconceived notion that it will suck and imagine that life alone might be a lot better than you think.  

November 17, 2016 3:14 am  #5

I joined ao online community for single parents, to meet new people and build a new network as I did not really have any outside my ex's family. This really helped with the lonlyness, and the parties and other events was really fun. Although you should be prepared to listen to some bitching about ex spouses😉
Jack

November 17, 2016 10:29 am  #6

After 27 years mine told me and moved out that same day. Although she came back for more the following week. It is very rare when we see each other and and will be even more so since she moved 1500 miles away to a western state.

At first it was horrible after she left. I was afraid to be in public for fear of tearing up. I was lost for months and kept thinking she would change her mind and come back. We did have a very good sex life. Or at least I thought we did. But that was six years ago.

It no longer pains me to think of. I move furniture, painted walls, threw away things she left behind and made my home my own. It was a slow but steady transition to where I am now. Remarried to a nice, straight woman. Believe it or not this will just be part of your past and you will get better.

Be well,
Clif

November 17, 2016 11:32 am  #7

Clif wrote:

After 27 years mine told me and moved out that same day. Although she came back for more the following week. It is very rare when we see each other and and will be even more so since she moved 1500 miles away to a western state.

At first it was horrible after she left. I was afraid to be in public for fear of tearing up. I was lost for months and kept thinking she would change her mind and come back. We did have a very good sex life. Or at least I thought we did. But that was six years ago.

It no longer pains me to think of. I move furniture, painted walls, threw away things she left behind and made my home my own. It was a slow but steady transition to where I am now. Remarried to a nice, straight woman. Believe it or not this will just be part of your past and you will get better.

Be well,
Clif

Thanks Clif and Jack and Rob and Dee. 

I know I will get through it.  I'm very optimistic that in the long term I will be just fine.. probably much happier than I was when married to my current wife.  

I'm just worried about the next 6 months to a year.  I'm getting very weary of this depression and pain that I'm in.  I'm just sick of being sad.  I'm worried that when she moves out I'll be really miserable and down in the dumps.  I've never lived alone.. i went from home to college roommates to living with my wife.  At most I've gone two weeks by myself.. but I always called her every day that I was gone... so I wasn't alone.. just away. 

I'm going to be really alone.  Fortunately i will have my boys 50%.. so the most I'll go without them is 5 days at a time.  But I'm worried...   I really need to get some routines and plans and figure out how to stay busy.   I'm scared that I'll just sit home and be miserably lonely.  I don't even drink.. so I can't drown the pain in that..

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

November 17, 2016 12:03 pm  #8

Hi,
​I feel the same way, that I've never lived alone either and I don't know how I would like it.  However my single previously married friends prefer it.  They get lonely and some have boyfriends or FWB.  But off the top of my head I can't think of a single one who says they can't wait to meet someone and live with them too.  They love the independence of living on their own and the freedom of having a few days without the kids; they miss them but appreciate them more when they seem them.
​Vicky

November 17, 2016 3:18 pm  #9

Great thread lostdad so thanks for sharing. You wrote:

"But I know that she is itching to buy a house and move out so i don't think it will take that long. I suspect she will move in the next 60 days."

​This sounds familiar and I can only imagine how hurtful it must be for straight husbands/wives to see their soon-to-be-ex-spouse positively beaming at the prospect of 'freedom.' Don't believe the bravado for one damn second friends. While the gay spouse may initially feel giddy at the prospect of 'finally' being free, we're just as scared as you are. And if they're like me, they'll spend that first night alone in tears. Why? Because when you're married to someone for decades, you get used to having someone around. I remember living right next to a train line when I was in university. Every night at 3 a.m. train would pass right next to our apartment, horns blaring. When I moved back home for the summer, I found myself missing that train. So no matter how bad (or noisy) the relationship, there is still a feeling of loss when we find ourselves alone.    

For a time, the gay (male) spouse may try to fill that void with sex. But it's the law of diminishing returns. I'd give back all of those faceless hook ups to chat over tea with my wife, play dinosaurs with my youngest, read a book with my daughter, or to kiss my kids in bed every night. I sometimes wonder if my new 'freedom' was worth giving all of that up.

​What's my point? My point is loneliness is scary for both spouses. The gay spouse may seem excited or even downright giddy at first due to newfound love or a sense of freedom. But even the gay spouse will eventually come back down to Earth and have to deal with the reality of separation, divorce, and potentially spending the rest of his/her life alone. 

​I wish you the best of luck lostdad.

November 17, 2016 9:01 pm  #10

Good topic.

Jack you'll be ok.  It's different but not as bad as I sometimes make it to be on the forum here.  Yes I was with my spouse a long time..the fear of being alone was overcome by my raging ex being so cruel that I no longer feared the future alone or really anything else but her.

Clif you give us hope.  Vicky your friends give me hope also.

Last edited by Rob (November 17, 2016 9:03 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

Board footera