OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 16, 2016 8:59 am  #1

Holiday Ideas

Any suggestions on how to handle this very first holiday season? 

Last edited by jkpeace (April 13, 2017 8:04 pm)

November 16, 2016 12:57 pm  #2

Re: Holiday Ideas

I suggested that we would have every second Christmas and opposite new year's eve. She got to choose which one she wanted first. This works fine even though the first Christmas without my children was awful.

Jack

November 16, 2016 1:21 pm  #3

I don't feel like it's Christmas without my kids.  For that very reason, my ex and I share the kids on that holiday - meaning we each have them for part of the day.  He gets them on Christmas Eve, overnight and through the morning.  He brings them back around 11 am, and they then spend time opening gifts at our house from me and my now husband.  Then we all get ready to do the big meal and family presents from extended family wherever that's held that year.  The kids love it.  Their dad loves it.  They get multiple holidays, really.  The never get bored anywhere - it's time to go move and open more presents as soon as they would have gotten to that point.  Dh and I get to celebrate Christmas Eve however we want (often my extended family goes to my sister's, where she hosts her dh's family.  That's the sister that just found out her ex has been living a double life and cheating on her with people of both sexes, so I'm not sure how this year's X-mas Eve will go down now).  Regardless, it still gives dh and I time to wrap presents before the kids get home - usually while watching a funny Christmas DVD together - like Nat'l Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.  Drink some spiked eggnog, get the living room full of wrapping paper, scraps and bows, get the stockings stuffed, and then sleep in a bit on Christmas morning, when we open our gifts to/from each other before the kids get home.

Do you have family in the area?  Or good friends to celebrate with?  I'd try to start a new tradition this year.  Talk to your dh about the holiday.  Tell him it wouldn't feel like Christmas without the kids, and you don't think that he'd want to give them up every-other-year, either.  He'll likely agree.  Then hammer something out.  If it works out well, you can put it into the custody agreement.

We swap the kids every-other-year for holidays.  If he had them last year for New Year's, I get them this year.  It's kind of nice, in a way; on the years that I have the kids (let's use NYE as an example), I plan a party - we talk about what kind of food we want to make, shop together, make it all evening, eat.  We get party plates and noisemakers and confetti cannons (little ones).  We get stupid hats and we light off firecrackers at midnight.  We all call family and wish them happy new year.  On the years we DON'T have the kids, we try to go out to a nice hotel party - all dressed up, just the two of us.  We make the most out of each situation - whether with the kids, or without.  We've even gone away over Thanksgiving when they kids have been gone.  Drive a few hours away and stay in a nice hotel and have Chinese for Thanksgiving dinner.  We love the holidays no matter how they wind up.  We make sure it's planned so that we relish the time vs. just miss the kids.

Best of luck

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

November 16, 2016 10:33 pm  #4

New to me also..  I have a legal schedule..  but the ex has no respect for that.   I can't decide whether to insist on the schedule or give in to her holiday suggestions..    We are divorced so her anger is not  my primary concern..rather what is best for our first year.. what the schedule says..or what works out and makes everyone happy..

Last edited by Rob (November 16, 2016 10:33 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

November 16, 2016 11:57 pm  #5

Rob - I think it depends on how fair the suggestions are. If you give in to unfair demands, just to keep the peace, you will have set a dangerous precedent for future years. You are just as deserving of your time with your children as she is. I think the adjustments should be if it's in the kids best interests. Example - they could only see certain extended family members at a time that wouldn't work with the schedule - then do a fair for fair swap. It would be nice to make everyone happy and still be fair but I'm not sure your situation makes that very likely.

Last edited by Daryl (November 16, 2016 11:57 pm)

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

November 19, 2016 7:46 am  #6

This is our first holiday separated, and our last together.  I don't have any family per se (growing up in foster care) so her family has been my family for the past 23 years.  My son (18) and I are going to her sister's house for Thanksgiving (as with tradition) but won't be staying long after, partly because we don't want to stay and partly because he has to work early on Black Friday.  I'm doing it out of "respect" for them, and quite frankly, I want a Thanksgiving meal that I don't have to work at. ;-)  We always hosted Christmas at our house, and this year will be the same.  My STBX asked that we host one last time and I figured, why not?  It gives me a chance to say goodbye to them on my terms.  I'm not saying it's going to be easy, but it's just one more step in the healing/moving on process for me.

Last edited by cramyamel (November 19, 2016 7:46 am)

"Just keep swimming..."

Board footera