OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 12, 2016 5:24 pm  #1

The worst pain - known only by straight spouses

If you conducted a survey of random people in the world and asked what is the worst pain a person will endure in their life, I suspect most would answer "The death of your spouse".   This would certainly be a horrible experience. You would feel the loss of love, the shattering of your future and hopes and dreams, and the void of your partner in life. 
This must truly be the worst thing that could happen to a person..  

Except it isn't 

What's worse is an unwanted divorce.   Like the death of your spouse, you lose your future and your dreams, your companion in life and the love that you count on. But with divorce, you now have to deal with rejection.  The person that vowed to love you until death has now decided they don't love you any longer.  What did you do wrong?  Why are you not good enough?  Unlike death, where a family comes together to mourn and there is finality and fond memory, you are now left with a family torn apart and emotional scars from the rejection.  
Truly this must be the most painful thing that could happen to a person..  

Except it isn't 

What's worse than an unwanted divorce is when your spouse divorces you for another person.  As with the death of your spouse, you lose the future you thought you would have and the companionship from your partner.  You also feel the rejection of the person who you thought would always love you.  As this these weren't painful enough, you also have to feel the sting of betrayal.  Your spouse vowed to love only you, to be intimate with only you, in the bond of marriage, but now has given themselves fully and intimately to another person before separating themselves from your marriage.  You are now deeply wounded, stabbed in the back, and have lost trust in other people.  Truly the loss of your companion and future, the pain of rejection and the sting of betrayal must be the most painful thing a person could experience. 

Except it isn't.  

The worst thing that can happen to a person is to have an unwanted divorce when your spouse divorces you for another person of the same sex.  When you find this out you learn that your future as you thought you knew it is now dead.  Your hopes and dreams for the rest of your life are shredded and destroyed.  You will lose the companion that you've spent years of your life with.  You will feel the rejection that comes when they will leave you despite making a vow to stay with you forever.  You will feel the sting of betrayal when you find out they have been sleeping with other people.  In case all of this wasn't hard enough, you will also realize that in addition to losing your future you have also lost your past.  Everything has been a lie.  All those memories of love and joy were false - tainted by the knowledge that their love for you was not full and complete.  That they lied to you about who they were and therefor you didn't even know the person you were married to.  You gave years of your life and were lied to and taken advantage of.  You have now lost your whole life.. your future and your past.  Taken away by the selfishness of the person you thought loved you until "death do you part"

If only it was just the death of our loved one, that would be so much less painful. 

Such is the life of a straight spouse.  We endure the ultimate emotional wound.  One with layers upon layers of pain and hurt and damage.   Yet we get little support.  Somehow our society doles out support in levels unequal to need. Our society rallies around those who's spouse dies.  They come to together at a funeral and offer countless gestures of support for months and years after.  Those who's spouse leaves them are given support, yet not as much.  Those who's spouse leave them for another person are supported, often unsurely, and spoken about behind their backs as though they must have had some fault.  There is a stigma, so many people who would offer support find it easier to move along and ignore.  

The Straight Spouse;  we who are most scarred and destroyed.  Yet we often receive no support at all.  Many times it's because we don't even ask.. our shame is too great.  We are threatened or guilted into keeping the secret because it would hurt the person who hurt us.  When our plight becomes public knowledge it is often our spouses who receive the conciliation because "their road has been so hard" and because so many people want to show how open and supportive they are to LGBT communities in this new modern era of compassion and understanding.  Those who would offer support don't even know where to begin, so it's easier to just ignore.  

So we, the straight spouse, are harmed the most, but get the least support. 

That is why we are here - the Straight Spouse Network.  This community is here because only we know the real worst pain.  We get it.. we've lived it.  We will help each other live through it. 

God Bless you all!

-Lostdad

Last edited by lostdad (November 12, 2016 5:28 pm)

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

November 12, 2016 7:54 pm  #2

Re: The worst pain - known only by straight spouses

Thank you for this post, you have said what I have felt for years but was never able to express it in the words you have so eloquently written. For these words, I thank you from the very bottom of my being.
Lostdad, I have been through many things in my life at 71 years old, two breast cancer surgeries,loss of many people close to me,family illness,however, this has been the hardest fo me to deal with.
For the 30 years of my marriage,I had tried to figure out what was wrong,was it me,I didn't feel that it was. I tried talking with him and help him through whatever it was...I was there for him. Always putting myself last,as he put me last.
When he left after my last BC surgery,he said he was bored,wan't to work and liked being with guys...we had just spent a month in San Diego so I could recuperate from the surgery and radiation. I should mention that her had left for four months prior to the diagnosis. He came home to help me through everything. 
He left without a look behind and once again left me to come to my own conclusion. I began an "autopsy" on my marriage,looking over the years together and moments of my life came to me as if a movie were playing in my head. I then realized he was gay,of course, he was a coward and let me do his work.
I wish I had had this forum at the start of this. What Sean and Cameron write have been the answers I have for ever searched for.
What you posted has brought it all together for me.
I am so grateful to have everyone here for support.
Too all of you,thank you.

November 12, 2016 10:47 pm  #3

That about sums it up, Lostdad.  Thanks so much for articulating it so well.  And to sunflower1, there are several of us on here who are in our 50's, 60's and 70's.  The older we are and the longer we were frauded (and the victims of narcissistic abuse) the more difficult it is to recover.  At a time when others our age are looking back over their lives, now that they are slowing down due to illness, loss of parents, siblings, retirement, they find peace in knowing that although not everything in their lives went perfectly it was a pretty good life and they did their best.  We never had OUR life, some CRAZY PERSON who was manipulating us STOLE it.  It has nothing to do with their sexual orientation or sexual addictions. It has everything to do with their narcissistic personality disorder.  Normal people feel guilt.  Normal people are capable of true empathy.  Normal people could not do this to someone else.  Be grateful and please find some comfort in the fact that he is out of your life and we get it and are here for each other.

November 13, 2016 12:03 am  #4

Well said! In many ways, it feels like we go through ALL of those losses (except death) at once and the idea of people "congratulating" them on their bravery is infuriating.

November 13, 2016 1:48 am  #5

Yep...id rather have my arms cut off then go through this.  Death would be welcome and pales compared to the deceit and evil I endured.  Just thinking about what I endured gives me anxiety and I can start shaking.

And my ex is not dead..rather she is some ghost still inflicting hurt for the rest of my life..for all eternity. .except I did nothing to deserve it.  I fear her more than I fear death.  Always waiting for the next mean thing.

When I envision hell I imagine it's filled with gay spouses of straight people..capable of inflicting infinite hurt.  Acting like they are right to hurt us..that we deserve deceit and rage and hurt.  I envision what I went through. .hell on earth

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

November 14, 2016 8:40 am  #6

Lost dad - well said.  I don't think anybody has understood how I have lost my past as well and I scrutinised every detail of when we were married and pre marriage, everything he had said, everything he had done, everything he wrote (ending every card and note to me 'always and forever') and every time he was out, where was he, who had he been with.  

Then the support you've mentioned.  How true is that??  I remember calling a gay and lesbian hotline to see if there was any support out there for me - the forgotten.  I started to tell my story and the woman on the phone said 'I'll put you through to the lesbian hotline!!!  They eventually gave me a number for a lady who's husband was bi sexual.  She still lived with him and her children and she went on to tell me how happy they were.  That didn't relate to my husband saying 'I'm gay' and then left. 

Then there was the councillor I saw referred to by my GP (doctor).  She listened and 'kindly' told me how hard it must have been for him to stay married and worst of all (words never forgotten and never forgiven) how he had my children because I wanted them.  So he did that for me!!!  Don't get me wrong, I adore my children with a passion but up to then had believed they were conceived because we both wanted them.  

I'm sorry we've all had to go through this but it's a relief when I see some of the posts to know what I went through is 'normal' in this type of situation.

November 14, 2016 11:16 am  #7

While I do agree that this sucks ass on a level that is unable to be explained to most people (other than our group), there was always one thing that kept me going and gave me some hope in the worst of times.  Many of you will disagree with me but I know there is a small minority that feels this way....

I found comfort in the fact that it wasn't another woman I was competing with.  The way my brain processes it, if someone picks another person over you, you start examining yourself on a level that's very unhealthy.  Could I be smarter, prettier, more handsome, skinnier, fatter, more muscular, funnier, more entertaining, in other words "what's wrong with ME"....on and on and on.  In that scenario it comes down to the fact that they rejected you for another person - even if you were just incompatible, I've still seen people over-examine themselves in that situation.  But with TGT, I had no opportunity to worry about what had I done wrong or could I have done something better or why didn't he want me.  No!  I couldn't grow a penis.  That's all it was that I couldn't do.  And yes, of course it opens up a whole different can of worms about wasted years and so on but this is true of any relationship that ends, no matter what the reason.

I am guilty of over analyzing most things in my life.  I started to go down that road with this situation.  But then it just clicked.  It's not my fault, it's not on my shoulders.  If nothing else, try to find some comfort in that part of it. 

November 14, 2016 11:53 am  #8

Still Wondering, what you say, that you "found comfort in the fact that it wasn't another woman I was competing with" hits me where it hurts.  As the spouse of a man who has declared that he's transgendered, and wants to give shape to the woman he fantasizes himself to be within, I am competing with another woman--it's just that she's not a flesh and blood person I can point at.  It's exactly that fact that in the worst moments makes me feel awful: apparently I'm so lacking that even a fantasy woman is preferable to me!  I find comfort, however, in telling myself what you do: that our sexualities are simply incompatible.  His sexuality is not mine, and that was indeed a "click" moment.

November 14, 2016 12:23 pm  #9

Outofhiscloset - Ah but see, that's exactly the point.  It's a fantasy!  How can anyone compete with a fantasy?  What he wants doesn't really exist!  No matter who or what you were wouldn't matter.  No one could live up to the stuff he comes up with in his head.  And I guarantee you that his fantasy is updating and changing constantly.  He's shaping himself, not you.  Please take comfort in the fact that there is literally nothing you could have done.  You're not right for him (and that's a good thing) but you're perfect for someone else.  I'm not saying that it doesn't suck.  It sucks worse that anything has ever sucked before.  But you'll pull out of it.  I promise.  One day it just won't matter anymore and you will have peace.

November 14, 2016 12:48 pm  #10

I dunno, guys.  I totally get where you're all coming from, having lived through it.  I can only say that as a parent of a child that is emotionally and mentally ill, that the gay thing is NOT the worst thing I've lived through.  When it's over, it's over.  You can move on from it.  You can find new love and appreciate the hell out of it.  When you have a child that is ill or dies, there's just..... no coming back from that.  It takes up space in my mind and my heart every.single.day, unlike my former gay marriage.  I agonize over where my son was last night - was he sleeping in his car again, out in the cold?  Is he doing drugs today?  Is he safe tonight?  Has he eaten in the past 2 days?  When he calls me next, will he ask for something I can't or won't give him?  Will he ever understand that I needed to oust him in order to protect the other household members, or will he always see me as a mother who abandoned him?  These things tear at my soul in a way that my ex gay spouse not loving me enough ever did.  Even now - so in love with what I see as the most wonderful man on the planet - if he left me, I could find love again.  I would be raw and bleeding, but there would be hope.  My son being this ill leaves me no hope for his future, or for ours as a family.  Every picture of us without him seems like a lie.  Every holiday seems hollow.  When he's there, it's a struggle to contain myself because he is so awful to everyone - so self-centered that it's plainly narcissistic.  I cannot let him walk all over everyone that way. And yet,..... he is my SON.  My firstborn, who I brought home from the hospital and nursed at my breast.  Who I swore with my life to protect and provide for.  And I can't do that anymore.  He is 19.  He is so thin that he looks like he's starving.  He is lonely and scared and angry. And yet he makes no changes to help himself.  It is utter torture.

Give me a gay spouse any old day.  That I know I can handle - can bounce back from.  This seems to never end.  There is a fine line between love and tough love, and it seems to move all the time.  I cannot have what my own heart wants without taking from the hearts of others I love and am sworn to also protect.  I am the rope in a giant tug-of-war.  Whichever side pulls the hardest wins at that moment.  I myself am just always being dragged through the mud, trying to be the strong rope so that two sides can still have a middle.  It's excruciating.

Kel

Last edited by Kel (November 14, 2016 12:51 pm)

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

Board footera