OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 4, 2016 4:21 pm  #1

Narcissism

You know I talk about you guys all the time, right?  To my (2nd) husband.  He is always floored by what has happened to all of us here.  Sometimes I read some of your posts out loud to him because I can't believe what some of your spouses have put you through.  My past seems so much easier than most of yours in that I was already long over my ex by the time I found out he was gay.  Of course he killed off the love with lots of rejection over the years, so as I've said before - it's a lot like labor - you can have one take days, or just a few hours.  I'm convinced that the shorter one isn't easier just because it's shorter - the pain is just more intense that way.

Anyhow, I was talking about my sister's soon-to-be ex the other day to my husband, and remarked how awful it must be to be married to a narcissist.  Now,... my BIL is the biggest narcissist  I've ever met.  It's all about him - his body, his ventures, him getting everything out of her that he can.  Anyway, I said that lots of you have experienced severe narcissism in your spouses, and I was thankful to not have gone through that.  My husband said, "You sure?"

Me: "Yeah"
Him: "Well, what's a narcissist?"
Me:  "Someone who makes things all about themselves.  Like (BIL)."
Him: "Yeah, but specifically, how would a narcissist be defined?"
Me:  "Ummmmm, someone who considers themselves more important in the relationship than all the others."
Him:  (blank stare - implying that that's exactly what my ex was/is)
Me:  "I mean,.... someone who lies about stuff and makes it all your fault so that they can still have what they want."
Him:  (raised eyebrows accompanies by blinking)
Me:  "Someone who turns everything around so that you feel it's your fault - even when it's their behavior causing the problem".
Him:  "Ummmmmm????"
Me:  I don't think (X) was narcissist."
Him:  "Really.  And why not?"
Me: "He was just a guy who figured out at some point that he was gay."
Him: "And I thought that you learned last year that he knew when standing at the alter with you that he was gay."
Me:  "Oh.my.God.  Was I married to a narcissist, too?!?"
Him:  "I seriously thought you already knew this."
Me: "No, I just thought the suffering that came along with it was just part of it."
Him:  "And I think he was a gay guy who lied to you about being straight so that you'd marry him, bear his children, and then reject you for over a decade."
Me:  "Wow.  Just.... wow.  I guess I never thought of it that way.  I just figured he'd figured out along the way that he couldn't do it anymore, and things just kind of spiraled from there."
Him:  "No,..... YOU figured out you couldn't do it anymore - without even knowing what the root of the problem was.  HE only came out when trying to use you as a beard became futile.  He used you all along, all the while with you telling him that you were suffering, and he didn't care.  If that's not a narcissist, I don't know what the hell is."

I'm speechless.  It's interesting how clearly I can see other peoples' shit, but not my own.  It remains somewhat moot since I've moved on and healed and am happy again anyway.  These are all just realizations now vs. discoveries.  Meaning that they don't really impact me beyond mental learning.  They don't hurt or make me struggle in any way.  But it's amazing to look back and see what I went through without even realizing it wasn't normal.

Kel

Last edited by Kel (November 4, 2016 4:22 pm)

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

November 4, 2016 4:51 pm  #2

Re: Narcissism

Isn't it strange how other people reveal things from a fresh perspective? Earlier this week some football parents from my son's team revealed how much they hated my ex. She was only there 2-3 times in 9 years but it was enough to leave a mark and the things they said just gave me some "aha" moments that made me realize what I was dealing with. 

Really glad to hear you're over the pain now. It gives hope that I'll be over this hump one day.

November 4, 2016 7:52 pm  #3

Kel, your post made me chuckle.  I was the exact opposite.  In the end I knew my H was a Narcissist because our marriage counselor told me.  But I did not know about him being on the Down-Low for several more years.  I remember devouring a book on NPD. It was not an easy read, but it helped me navigate the full depth of narcism he was unleashing.  One Chapter was titled "The Gay Narcissist".  I was so very grateful to be able to skip that chapter because he was not gay!   I was certain of it.  Ha ha ha!

"No matter how hard the journey may be, remember to be kind to yourself..."

November 5, 2016 3:06 am  #4

Thank your husband Kel, for helping to point out the obvious to me as well.  It's still a challenge, years later, for me to wrap my head round that description fitting my ex especially as he appears to be very well regarded by others, presents as a great guy and is charming, fun in company.  If it wasn't for you folks here I guess I'd still be thinking it was 'my issues' that were the problem as I was led to believe.  

November 5, 2016 10:19 am  #5

Omg.. kel yes..tell your hubby you can't make our stories up.

".."See, here's the perfectly good reason I did that soul-crushing dehumanizing thing to you..."

Kel, all,

Yes if I look back I don't see gayness in my lezex ...but I certainly see narcissism.. lots of it.
How could I be so stupid...because I loved her..because it was never directed fully at me until she decide she was gay and wanted out of the marriage...then it was like all my fault that she had to cheat and have a gay affair.  She was entitled to have it. 

To be sitting there shaking and crying and have your spouse and best friend look at you like "what's your problem"...not a shred of remorse, compassion..that what she was doing was morally right..  well we call it narcissism. ..but to me it was pure evil. 

Its that behavior that killed me..more than TGT.     More than the lies.  For her to think that I was some bad person not worth compassion ..that takes special contempt and hatred..I did not know people like that really exist except pychopath in movies.

If you put a gun to my head I would not take her back..and not because she's gay but because she lacks basic human empathy and morals.  The ability to hurt someone so much and think you are right in it.. no.. I fear her for that.

I'll close with this..in all my years with her I never heard the words "I'm sorry" about anything. ..she could be completely wrong about something and in my low self esteem or insecurity or forgiving nature..I always let it slide...I never demanded an apology.    I fed the narcissism..  I was perfect supply.  But I loved her.
It must have been very easy for her to cheat and still sleep at night.  Easy when for years you were a god that was always right.

I long to meet someone someday that is humble and moral.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

November 5, 2016 11:40 am  #6

Rob wrote:

...in all my years with her I never heard the words "I'm sorry" about anything. ..

This is a significant character trait to look for in anyone. The ability to admit you could have done better with some humble apologies says more about a person than their reaction to triumph.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

November 5, 2016 11:42 am  #7

WendiT wrote:

One Chapter was titled "The Gay Narcissist".  I was so very grateful to be able to skip that chapter because he was not gay!   I was certain of it.  Ha ha ha!

Afterwards did you read it?

― Joe Strummer

November 5, 2016 11:54 am  #8

jkpeace wrote:

My point is that Not all of our gay spouses are/were narcissists.  I do believe that many, many were.  I do believe that, if they are not narcissists, they Are very, very broken and in need of much work...work they must do, themselves, to get better.

I agree, my ex most certainly was not but was, as you said, broken in other ways and in need of personal work. I also don't think it's a coincidence that I went through a more peaceful split than so many others here. It's the drift towards absolute denial, subterfuge and gaslighting that start to indicate the potential narcissists.

― Joe Strummer

November 5, 2016 12:58 pm  #9

Daryl -

Yes I did go back and read that Chapter. But at that point I had moved past learning about Narcissistic Personality Disorder and found a new subject to study: "Gay Husbands on the Down Low".  Whoa Hoo!  That's when I joined the club no one wants to belong to!  So glad I found you all and this site.  It gave me plenty of reading and stories to learn from. I lurked and read for years. Bless all who share(d) their stories.  

Wendi

November 5, 2016 1:34 pm  #10

jkpeace wrote:

He even went to counseling to try to figure out what child custody arrangement would be best for our children.  The counselor convinced him that 50/50 would Not be best for our children.  Sadly, he agreed.  A narcissist wouldn't have done that.

First, jkpeace, I am in no way suggesting that your H is an N. From what you have written it sounds as if your H is truly trying to do what is in the best interest of your children and following the counselors advice clearly illustrates that.   However I want to address a subject you brought up, that is "Children and the Narcissist" for others on the board who may be trying to navigate divorce, custody and visitation with an actual Narcissist... 

My experience with my N was the exact opposite. Narcissist will give up the kids.  Children will be retained by the N so long as they serve a purpose.  The hard core NPD gives the illusion of being the quintessential parent but truly the day in day out effort, burden, and expense of being a full time parent is more work than the N wants to put out.  To the true N, the world revolves around them and there is little room in their world for children who have age-appropriate developmental narcism.  They don't need a rival for attention and it has been suggested by some experts that the N secretly abhors children for their neediness and narcissim.  If you are divorcing an N, they may be very happy to turn over their rights and visitation, if the cost outweighs the benefit.  This does not mean they will give it all up easily and they may fight you tooth and nail, but in the long run the N has little stamina and endurance to be connected to others unless they receive adulation and Narcissistic Supply in return.  An N will happily allow you to raise their children and do all the work.  After all, we should all be happy to serve them.

And I was happy to raise the kids myself because at that time it was believed that NPD was purely a learned behavior.   The less time spent with a Narcissist meant the less time children would have to pattern the behavior.  Unfortunately, now experts suggest there may be a genetic component.   Either with or without the Narcissit your kids will need a stable, present, and honest parent.  Eventually, they will see the N for who he/she is and they will need you to cushion the ugly. 

Board footera