OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 2, 2016 7:39 pm  #1

Almost divorced, husband moving out. Nothing feels right.

Deleted

Last edited by jkpeace (April 14, 2017 7:38 pm)

November 2, 2016 8:24 pm  #2

Re: Almost divorced, husband moving out. Nothing feels right.

jk,
 What I've been telling myself lately about discussing my husband's "journey" with him is that I can no longer take his emotional temperature for him.  He's relied on me to do that, and to initiate discussion; it's meant I've been drawn in to involve myself in his drama.  But that's a way for him to avoid taking responsibility for his own feelings, and it means I stay involved with his needs and distracts me from focusing on myself, too. I've begun to realize that the end result of "staying involved" is that I continue to cling to a hope that he will see the light and return to "normal".  Which is definitely not healthy for me. I have to fully integrate the new reality, and so does he.
 I don't know if that's helpful.  
 I wish I had practical advice for you for help with your kids.  

November 2, 2016 10:15 pm  #3

JK, it's going to be lonely and scary once he moves out, but I think that is a necessary step toward your healing. What helped me was getting out with friends, having people over, and generally not being alone too much. Also used meditation and journaling to accept and make sense of it all.

I'm sorry this is what it's come to. It won't be easy but there is goodness ahead. Peace, honesty, and hope for a better future for you and your kids. Keep us posted on how it's going.

November 3, 2016 3:50 am  #4

You've very brave JK. Your kids have a wonderful and strong mother. As another member shared, it's normal to feel a sense of loss because you've spent so much time and energy focusing on his needs, his problems, his emotions. My ex-wife went through this even after our separation. Despite everything I did, she wanted me back. Letting go is indeed hard as you so poignantly shared. But now is the time to focus on you and your children. If your husband follows a similar path to mine, he'll go through a few hard years and perhaps hit rock bottom before rallying. During this time, keep in mind that he's no longer your responsibility. He has to find his own way now...without you. Good luck and thanks for sharing.    

November 3, 2016 6:12 am  #5

JK,
My lezex moved out suddenly one weekend but it was not unexpected.
The tension in my house was toxic..we were just two strangers not speaking to each other I'm the same house...it was eggshells..one word could set her into profanities and screaming.  She was like a cornered lion( but she created her corner). 

There was immediate relief and calmness when she left. My hands stopped shaking.
Then...
Loss..
tears..
inescapable loneliness.

Since then I've been dealing with this new life..one day at a time.

Since we did not part on the best terms I'm strictly no contact with her. One text can still send her into profanities  and rage. I cannot contact her about any worries or fears. She is not my friend.  It sucks because we have to communicate about the kids.  We share them back and forth but it's still, to me, not normal..and I blame her for it which doesn't help my mindset.  I'm trying the best I can to do all the things she did and make my home appear normal for the kids.
  But every now and then the loneliness comes crashing down on me. That it's just me now.. (this is what she wanted..for me to be alone..to suffer for what I did..for loving her).
I try each day to press forward..another season in my life..
I'm alone ....for now.
I need to get home on certain days ..for now.
I need to eat alone.. for now.
Etc.

Not the most helpful reply your looking for but that's all I have...other than a "me too..I get it".   

I look forward to your other replies of how to cope with the immediate aftermath of what these spouses did..

Last edited by Rob (November 3, 2016 6:13 am)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

November 3, 2016 8:34 am  #6

JK,
 It occurred to me that what I feel, and what you feel, in "letting go," is a form of what children in a divorce feel: wanting Mom and Dad to get back together, wishing for the return of that past when their world was intact.   In some way, we feel our situations the way the kids do, as something that was done to us, forced on us, and not what we'd choose.
   That we now know our marriage and life was never what we thought it was--or can't endure the change-- doesn't prevent the emotional response, the sense of loss.  It's hard to give love up.  It's hard to change our pattern of care for our partner, to see that our partner can't be the partner we want and need, isn't even the partner we thought we had. 
   But we'll get there, because the circumstances necessitate it.  I think that when we are alone, and looking at our lives apart, we will rally.  And you have your beautiful kids to love, and that means you (and you, too, Rob), aren't alone and without love.
    One thing that helps me look forward with hope and even a little confidence is that I have faith in the basic force of life that drives us all forward.  We want to live, our cells want to live (this is why even a dying person has to fight to die--because every living cell fights to live), and I have a faith that my mind can catch up and follow.  That lifts me up.  Those who are religious have their own forms of faith; whatever we believe in, we need to let that faith carry us over the tough times, and make space to tend our faith and the realizations to which it leads us. OK: sorry to go all whoo-hoo.  

November 3, 2016 12:35 pm  #7

Jk, along with the lonliness and sadness also comes freedom. You can do what you want. Eat what you want. Turn the sound up loud and dance. Move the furniture around. See who you want.

Turn the love and energy you were giving him right back to yourself. And your kids. There is love. There is hope. It's just going to be different. Some days good, some days bad. I'm sitting at my kitchen table and I just had this thought: this is my new life, and that is fine.

Let us know how it goes.

November 3, 2016 2:43 pm  #8

"..You can do what you want..."
All,
That is true...I can do whatever I want now.. there is no wife or boundary of marriage telling me what to do.
But I'm like an abused dog who had his cage opened..  the cage is opened I'm scared to leave...I know no other way of life..  I was fine with the boundaries of marriage and limits the ex wife placed on me...  That is coming back to bite me now though as she estranged me from family and friends..  isolated me and then
discarded me..  

I'm taking care of myself and am kind to myself.. but the truth is I did not plan this new life so I'm still figuring out what to do.    I'm trying to take it one small step at a time... nothing else I can do..     

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

November 4, 2016 12:47 am  #9

Hi Rob, I was happy within the bonds of marriage as well. Totally oblivious that anything was wrong or missing, although looking back there were some warning signs. After 25 years I figured some dry patches were to be expected. Wow, was I wrong. Totally blindsided, I went from happily married to divorcing in a matter of days, once the ugly truth became clear.

I will say this past sixteen months have been the hardest struggle I could imagine, let alone having lived through. Blinding anger, fear, rage, despair, depression, sleeplessness, inconsolable crying, howling, throwing things, lethargy, and just raw pain. He wasn't there to make me feel these things, he was gone and I suffered a long time over the betrayal. Just as I began to regain my balance, my dad died, and then my aunt. These losses, plus moving and divorcing and TGT almost sent me over the ledge.

So when I say you can do whatever you want, I really mean you are free from lies and deceit. Free to do whatever you can to be happy again. I truly believe we have to give ourselves all the love and care we missed in our marriage. What would give you even a little satisfaction? I made a list one day of twenty things, and over time I did them all. I've been to concerts, the theater, a weekend retreat, made new friends, started a meditation and a yoga practice, bought myself flowers....this was not easy but I'm worth it-----and so are you. And all of us.

I beg you to figure out what you need to heal, and then take tiny steps to make it begin. You've been horribly abused; I was not, I was abandoned. But this is your life now, so why not do all you can to make it pleasurable. Yes I still have moments of despair, but fewer all the time.

Sending encouragement to you Rob, and all of us as we move through this valley and back into the light.

November 4, 2016 11:26 am  #10

I agree with Keepinghope above.    Rob, you described yourself as an abused dog with a cage door open, yet afraid to leave the cage, so you stay put.   It's time you broke out and explored the new world. 

Nothing will change until you make it change.  Time to make it change. 

I'm trying to prepare myself mentally for when my divorce is final and when my wife moves out (not necessarily happening at the same time).  The divorce seems like a mere formality to me.  The move out is what will change things.  I'm starting to plan what I want to do with my house and my time.  I'm already making plans..  I don't want to sit paralyzed when that time comes.  I want to have a plan already in place so that I can just set things into motion.  These things will include making changes in decor, furniture, arrangement in my house, some new toys to enjoy, and some new regular activities.  I'm already reaching out to friends and trying to set up some routines.  I know for sure I will have every Monday and Tuesday alone, so i'm making tentative routines for those days.  I'm starting to strengthen friendships for those every other weekends that I'm alone so that I will have people to spend time with. I won't be ready to date for a while (mostly because I want to make sure I'm healthy so that I don't hurt someone else), but when I am ready I look forward to that as an exciting new phase. 

I'm also trying to anticipate what things will hurt me and represent challenge and pain.  So I'm trying to figure out how to mitigate those things as well.  Loneliness is a big one.. so as mentioned above, I'm working on finding routines and people to be with to help.  Also activities and hobbies to keep me busy will be key.  

The part that I know I will struggle with and will have no way to fix in the short term in the romantic void.  I'm already struggling with this and it's only been 4 months.  I'm trying to learn to cope with this right now so that it's less of a stress later.  Even so.. I know that this will be the hardest part and it will cause me pain.  I refuse to try to fill the void with short term flings or casual sex.. that is not cool with my morals.. so I will have to learn to be patient and endure until I am blessed with another woman to love and hopefully marry someday. 

JK..  what can you do with your time and home to make things feel new and exciting?  Can you find new hobbies?  Can you find new friends or rekindle friendships to help keep the loneliness at bay?  
You need to find some hope and optimism to focus on..  What can you think of to look forward to?

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

Board footera