OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 15, 2016 7:39 pm  #1

Aha Moments

A thread for "aha moments" that don't necessarily fit into other threads.

*told to me by a stunning airline attendant yesterday, one of her aha moments became a new aha moment for me, too: her GIDX's favorite vacation spot was Maui so they went all the time, I guess her job made that easy. He would be amorous beyond belief on the flight to Maui, HI-- as she later discovered, the world's down-low capital for closeted GID men-- and as soon as the plane touched down he'd verbally attack her and keep at it until she freaked out at which point he'd storm off and not come back for hours, claiming he needed to "cool off." Once he returned to their hotel hours later he'd be relaxed and "nice again" for another 12 hours, then get increasingly restless and hostile, pick another fight, leave her in the fetal position on the bed, and storm off to "cool off." Over and over. For the whole trip. Every time. And it was his favorite destination so they went countless times.
Once she figured out his screen name (he used the same one on all the gay sites) she was able to track him from site to site-- to all his down-low gay apps, dating sites, including trannydate.com (she sent me his profile pics and they leave zip to the imagination) and his "likes" were consistent-- orgies, "water sports" (urine play), TG/TS/TV, toys, "nipple torture," BDSM, fetishes, etc.) And she took screenshots of it all as proof.
From listening to her story, the aha moment for me personally was her description of her GIDX routinely "picking fights in paradise"-- because that's what my GIDX did. He was all over me kissing and cooing on the flight out, then he'd do or say something stunningly vicious the moment we landed, then repeatedly til the end of the trip, always then disappearing for hours to "cool off" and coming back calmer. He came back cold, with no eye contact, but calm and no longer vicious.
The aha: that that's how they got away from us to go cruise and hook up-- by picking fights very suddenly, just a 180 in mood, saying vicious things to provoke a bitter fight, then storming off to "cool off" but it was actually for gay cruising and sex.

*aha moment of realization, 15 months after leaving him: 7 months into our relationship (which featured "amazing incredible best-ever" sex, or so I thought), one morning after lovemaking, he suddenly praised me, with some odd condescension, for my having come "for the very first time in all this time we've been together." He appeared to have ZERO memory of the thousands of orgasms that I not only had had with him-- but which we'd joked about (the theme being: how fantastic my GIDX was in bed-- how skillful, how masterful of my body.) The pleasure he brought me was not something I ever hid, and more than that, it had seemed to be a huge point of pride for him. And then 7 months in, one day, he suddenly says afterward "good girl, you know that's the very first time you've had an orgasm with me."
Uh. Where was he for the first thousand? I think we can guess. The worst part, is he gave me all those orgasms LOOKING RIGHT INTO MY EYES. That's some pretty hardcore dissociation, there. To be right there inside a woman and looking into her eyes during it..... and "not remember" any of them. Obviously he was with someone else in his head while he stared into my eyes with that loving expression on his face.

Last edited by Billie (October 29, 2016 5:17 pm)

October 16, 2016 9:22 am  #2

Re: Aha Moments

Billie,
You sound empathic and compassionate. .no I don't think you have to worry about being a narcissist.  I was very worried too in the beginning I'd go through this and become a mean monster like my ex.  I didnt...still me.   Unfortunately what's left of me is just this abused lonely indidivual..im ok but I'm half to one quater the person I was. Even my kids can yell at me with confidence thanks to over a year of watching their mother do it.

I'm not going analyze what I could or couldn't have done.  The fact was I authentically gave all I could.  My ex was a narcissist. I was a caring codependent. Like you I would rather eat glass than go through this again.
And that means it's best I'm alone.  Better alone than with hurt and evil.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

October 20, 2016 7:54 am  #3

BIllie, you said,

"I believe this will hit home for most of us str8 spouses here on this forum. We did not protect ourselves or honor our own needs-- because it was more important to be empathetic."

And oh, boy, do I empathize with that! (lol, bitterly) So true!
I was so socialized to see my role as supporting others and putting myself last no matter how unreasonable they were that I have a hard time now distinguishing what's reasonable and what's not, and my first impulse is to explain away my husband's self-absorption, selfish behavior, and inability/refusal to consider my position or how I might be feeling, finding "reasons" in his past for why he is so unable to be a real partner. (I am 19 months out from my husband's revelation after 33 years of marriage, that he wished he were a woman, followed by his attempts to feminize himself.)  Not only that, but I will second guess my own feelings when they are "negative," just because I don't want to be "unfair" or "harsh."  It has seemed supremely important to me that I test my own perceptions, because it feels wrong to impute to my husband cruelty or narcissism, but really what I've been doing is positioning myself as a doormat, which has allowed him to forge ahead and do what he wants without reference to my needs.  And I've been the one who has done it to myself.  
   That's what I've been learning in the few weeks now that I've been reading here and listening to you all on this site. It's been eye opening, empowering, and difficult, too, because of the grief that comes with seeing things clearly, knowing I must act and change, and fearing that I can't either live on my own or act, even though I know change is coming whether I want it to or not.

October 20, 2016 8:31 pm  #4

Outofhiscloset,

Don't beat yourself up.  There's nothing wrong with being empathetic to your husband...that what marriage is supposed to be about.  I think we only feel foolish  because our spouses didn't hold up their end of the promise.
No we did not do any of this..it is all them. They now are not entitled to our empathy.  Whether they want it (your husband) or don't want it anymore (my ex)...it doesn't  matter..their actions have caused them to forfeit our love and empathy.  They cannot expect no consequences to their actions.

Last edited by Rob (October 20, 2016 8:32 pm)

October 21, 2016 3:56 am  #5

Omg billie,  2 gid guys in a row.
That gives me no hope.
I'm convinced in my present state that all woman can suddenly like another woman..that it's somehow normal.  This can't be so though..it just can't can it?
I would never cheat on a spouse.
If you put a gun to my head I would not like guys.
  I'm just going to hang out alone for now.  But if I ever were to date I don't know how I could tell.  Narcissism I'm not even sure I could see..     no I'm really damaged.

A prayer for you..no one should have to endure this twice. I could not.

Last edited by Rob (October 21, 2016 3:58 am)

October 21, 2016 4:18 am  #6

Empathy? NO. What I had was a strong realization of the commitment I made when I married him. I do not feel sorry or feel I somehow owe him any kind of understanding. I'm not responsible for his inability to signal the world or his wife what his sexual preference was or is. He is. I believe when you make a commitment, you keep it. It's just that simple. That's what integrity is all about-keeping your word. My self preservation eclipses what he may or may not be needing for understanding. I almost died because of him. I'm terribly damaged,  not all that healthy and alone at 65 years old because of this narcissistic jerk and closeted Gay man who never offered me any kind of empathy because well, as most know, narcissists have no empathy for anyone. The reason is clear why I stayed for 46 years - because I kept my commitment until it became clear if I stayed in the marriage any longer, I'd probably die. When you are compassionate to others eventually you need it back. When you don't get it, you end up depleted and sad. Good relationships aren't one sided or with someone who won't consider you. That's my lesson in this. 

Last edited by Judy (October 21, 2016 4:21 am)

Board footera