OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 8, 2016 10:38 am  #1

I need clarity. Advice appreciated.

I've been dating my boyfriend for 8 years. We were each other's first everything. 4 years ago he told me he was more sexually attracted to men but still loves me and wants to be with me. I told him I supported him and love him and he can always be honest with me. When he opened up that improved our relationship and opened it. 2 years ago my boyfriend privately continued his struggles with his sexuality. 6 months ago he told me that he needs to come out about his sexuality to everyone. Again I supported him. But now he feels convinced that our relationship cannot continue. That he feels like it will be hiding who he is even though I've been supportive of him, that I said I'm fine if he is gay and we are still together. He doesn't know how that can work. He says he still loves me and cares for me but doesn't have a solution theresfore doesn't think we should try.  He is afraid trying would hide him. I don't want to do that but do think we should try if we still love each other and all the other parts of are relationship are good, just not the initmacy. Maybe now that he is now open with everyone in his life that will help what's been blocking us. Is it wrong to try for even 6 months? Is it possible to be straight and date a gay guy and both be happy? Any advice or if anyone has gone through similar experiences. Please share.

October 8, 2016 11:02 am  #2

Re: I need clarity. Advice appreciated.

"Maybe now that he is open with everyone in his life that will help with what's been blocking us."

What's been "blocking" you is that he is gay and you are not.  That block will never go away. He will always prefer men to you.  I lived it for 28 years and then some (post divorce).  Be glad he is so open and honest and apparently caring.  He seems to value your friendship and relationship very much - so much that he wants to be honest, trusting, and not hurt you.  He is sending you a very strong message; be open to it.  Many of us here never got such caring and concern.  Best of luck.

October 8, 2016 11:37 am  #3

My ex-wife came out as gay and asked for a divorce. I guess that's what your bf is doing too right... without the divorce part?

In my experience a spouse or partner publicly coming out changes EVERYTHING. They don't have to hide any more. They don't have to pretend any more. That leaves US - their former closet buddy - in a very vulnerable position. We become - I hate to say it - 'surplus to requirements'. It's a horrible position to be in

You could both try to keep the relationship going but I fear that he may be wanting to move on to a completely gay life with a male partner. By being honest with you he has made this transition in plain sight which is more honorable than doing it in secret but it unfortunately doesn't guarantee that your relationship with him won't fundamentally change.

Do you have children with him? Im very sorry that you find yourself here. Please keep posting.

You have a future. A good one. It begins as a flicker of hope. Nurture it until it becomes a dream and when you are strong enough you will make it a reality. NEVER give up. 

October 8, 2016 11:47 am  #4

I can't speak directly to this situation as my ex and I both agreed that trying to maintain our partnership would be unfair to both of us in the long run. I do know this - it's takes two fully invested people to make a life partnership work. I don't know the solution to your situation but it does sound like you can have a honest conversation about it with him. Is intimacy important? If you define it beyond the sexual I think it it what makes the difference between being 'friends with benefits' or roommates vs. being a couple. Try changing perspectives, what if a BFF came to you with this dilemma? What might you suggest? Best wishes.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

October 8, 2016 4:04 pm  #5

JK,

'Surplus to requirements' is just another way of saying 'not needed any more'.

Often, when the non-straight spouse finally comes out or is outed, the straight spouse (who up until that point was used as cover or as a companion or as a 'friend' or as a co-parent or as a cash cow)  gets dumped.

It's awful to realize that you are not wanted. / needed any more and you get discarded like an old couch.

NOT SAYING it always happens that way but that's what happened to me and many others here.

Last edited by Steve (October 8, 2016 7:23 pm)

You have a future. A good one. It begins as a flicker of hope. Nurture it until it becomes a dream and when you are strong enough you will make it a reality. NEVER give up. 

October 8, 2016 6:11 pm  #6

Hello there, Buffy.
This reminds me of my thinking and the game mine played with me. He spun me in circles and I just kept on trying even when it involved negotiating a new existence within the horrible marriage. There comes a time when you have to stand up for yourself and get out of a relationship that can't possibly benefit you. Morphing a marriage into something your newly declared GAY spouse wants for convenience (i.e. maid, child care cook etc. ) is just plain never going to get you anywhere. Most seem very good at attempting to do that. You deserve better than having him decide your future. One thing is clear. You don't have a future with him.  I've lived this. I did what you are considering for decades which ended in epic heartache and my realizing what a fool I was to even consider it. Please don't take this as harsh. I think we're doing far too much dancing around here due to someone who accused us of being that way earlier in the week. We all know we were duped, secrets kept from us and even open lies. We just don't want to have that happen to you with no end in sight. Cut your loss and press ahead. You deserve to be happy with nobody else negotiating how that comes to be. We all support whatever you decide to do. This is a horror to live through. I'm sorry you have this in your life at all. You're in my prayers...I know you'll make the correct decision for you.

Last edited by Judy (October 8, 2016 6:23 pm)

October 8, 2016 6:16 pm  #7

JK - Talk about a learning experience! I agree. I never knew ME this well. Busy life, Gay fully closeted husband and the constant swirling of reality. I really like ME. Found out I am a survivor and that I love myself enough to press ahead all by myself. Getting here was a heartache but plenty of good is starting to ooze from the wreckage. Thanks for helping me realize that. 

jkpeace wrote:

Thanks for clarifying, Steve.  The coming out of the gay spouse is, certainly, a seismic shift in the relationship.  So far, I can't say that I've enjoyed the experience.  I can say, finally, that I am learning from the experience.

JK

October 8, 2016 10:39 pm  #8

Thank you all for the advice. It's comforting hearing that others have felt the same emotions and confusions.

It's just hard to understand how can two people be together for so in long, in love, shared happy times - half that time knowing about his attraction to men - and then all of a sudden he turns the switch off and is done. He makes it seem so black and white - if he wants to be open about having attraction to men then he can't have any emotions or feelings for me.

Is it wrong for me to want to give it a try for 6mths and see if we can make it work? I think if we were to do that I'd either find closure and we can move to being friends or we find a way to both be happy and stay together.

October 8, 2016 11:02 pm  #9

I don't think it is wrong for you to want to give it a try.  You are in love.  In all likelihood, however, your efforts will be futile.  As someone said on this forum some time ago, in situations like this, you have maybe even make yourself "fall out of love".

I'm so sorry for your situation. It hurts and there is no way around it.

October 9, 2016 5:55 am  #10

Buffy ,   I would say I knew my now exwife all my life...married decades, my girlfriend in college..  kids now.
It didn't matter..like a old couch I was discarded.  If I look at what I was discarded for its even more demeaning.  Call it my ex wife's midlife crisis...like a light switch I was suddenly garbage.  Imagine all physical contact and basic conversation being withdrawn from you..but you did nothing wrong..can't even apologize or fix it.
I would not wish this on my worst enemy.  I'd rather have a limb cut off.it goes beyond and transcends physical pain..

Run..run like your hair is on fire.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

Board footera