OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 27, 2016 2:39 am  #1

Almost lost it....

I'm so happy to have found this site. I found out my husband was sleeping with men in November  of 2015.   We have been married for 16 years. Throughout our marriage he have had several affairs to which I found cell phones at different times. He works nights and I work days. It seems as though he's been caught enough times that he just think it will go away after a while. We went on a vacation to Aruba and at that time he met a woman and he flew back and forth to Detroit to see her more than twice. As I dug deeper through the cell phone that's when I saw that he was also sleeping with MEN. LAST Friday it what took me over.  I just lost it whe didn't pick up our children on time from school, they are 11 and 8 years old. He wasn't answering our cell phone calls from my daughter and me.   I had a location device on his phone as I have on mines and our daughter.  I will do it is so that we can know where each other is with all the happenings in the world. When I put and to see where he was it showed it was in a residential area so because of his consistent infidelity I went there. I did not see him but I saw his car and I scratched it all up I could have done more damage but I know he needed to go get our children. I am so over his lack of commitment accountability and responsibility as my husband but now as their father. He shows No Remorse he's just always upset when I bring it up as if he's the victim. I am ready to get a divorce but having three young kids 11 and under makes me feel like there no way out.   I'm afraid for them because this is the only life they know. But then I know they will grow older and go their way and I will be alone because I stay in this relationship so long and became bitter. I am now having anxiety and panic attacks and this is very stressful.  I am becoming very short with everyone around me. Please help me to clear my head.  Are there any particular questions I can ask an attorney right now or can I just go can I go straight for a divorce.  My head is so foggy that I can't think clear.

Last edited by MsDevistated15 (September 27, 2016 1:10 pm)

September 27, 2016 6:42 am  #2

Re: Almost lost it....

Msdevistated,

You are in shock at the moral violation and taboos he broke.

Take time to breath, cry, take your anger out but not on him..you cannot change him...the solution your seeing cannot be found with him.  You need to be calm and stoic for the kids.  Your kids need someone that puts them first and you being cheated on and emotionally abused is not putting them first.  They need an unabused mom..

Start taking small steps..  find a therapist friends,family..start to build your support system.  It takes time so you need to do it all discretely and stoicly as he sleeps around..but don't go near him anymore.

Take time for yourself to gather strength..go to the library,  for a walk.  Move into a seperate part of the house if you can't stand being in the bedroom. 

Baby steps..   I remember crying as I opened my own checking account...it felt wrong and down low but make no mistake my lezex had one already..  we slowly do what needs to be done..it is both moral and right.  Same for the lawyer..I simply met with a couple  discretely on my own time..it is necessary and morally right.

So so sorry your here but please know you do not deserve this.  I look back and think of it as an accident or emergency that one cannot respond to or solve in a quick immediate way.  But we can respond slowly and firmly and morally. 

A sincere ehug. (Virtual but authentic)

Last edited by Rob (September 27, 2016 6:45 am)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

September 27, 2016 8:34 am  #3

Rob, Thank YOU!  I heartfeltly appreciate your response. 

My family is supportive and not or I may be to damaged to see it.  They are always saying they don't want to get involved and I have to be strong and just get over it.  When they say that I just feel 😨😨.  Make sure this is what  i want to do.  My friends are but I have yet to disclose that he was sleeping with men.  Even when my 1 friend said it earlier on.  I just couldn't get it to come out.   

I was seeing a therapis when it initially happened, but having the 3 kids and him working evenings Inhad noone to watch my kids, I guess that has also given me no time to cry it out. 

I am so happy to have found this site where I can talk to people who have experiencedit hands on and I don't think I'm crazy.

September 27, 2016 9:28 am  #4

Dear Ms- 

I'm so glad you found us!  I found this site and its contributors several years into my recovery after 3+ decades of a GID wife.  It has been wonderfully useful in polishing my recovery to a fully functioning person.  

Your sad (and typical) post will soon blossom with wise and empathetic advice and support. Wait, read, enjoy and learn.  Then, plan and execute your escape and recovery.    

You're now rightly devastated now because your no-good cheater narcissist has worn you down by his years of disrespect and abusive behaviour.  Rebuilding your esteem and strength is essential to ridding yourself of this lying cad and dishonorable dad.  

SSN is my go-to site for support, recovery and understanding.  Another I have increasing respect for in changing people from victims of the gay thing to avenging lionesses is Chump Lady.  She specializes in channeling and developing your righteous anger in an always humorous way.  Moving from victim to self reliant person is essential to rebuildling one's self after years of being duped by cheaters.  http://www.chumplady.com/

Congratulations on starting your journey to the better life and family you deserve. 

Best luck - John

September 27, 2016 10:57 am  #5

John Thank you!  I appreciate those kind words.

September 27, 2016 12:00 pm  #6

Dear Ms. Devistated15,

I know that your head is spinning and you feel like you are in a fog right now.  I completely understand how you feel.  I have been there myself. I am trying to understand your exact question(s). You mentioned that your H has been in court multiple times and you mention an accident attorney.  Are you asking what questions you should be asking his attorney or are you asking what questions you should ask yourself of a divorce attorney at an initial meeting?

Last edited by WendiT (September 27, 2016 12:02 pm)

"No matter how hard the journey may be, remember to be kind to yourself..."

September 27, 2016 1:12 pm  #7

WendiT,  i was using talk TO text and it type added things onto what i was saying.  I've been trembling so that I could barely use my keys on my phone.  Re-read please I made the corrections.

September 27, 2016 1:34 pm  #8

MsDevistated15 wrote:

Please help me to clear my head. Are there any particular questions I can ask an attorney right now or can I just go can I go straight for a divorce. My head is so foggy that I can't think clear.

Dear Ms D,

First take a deep breath, hold it, and let it out.  You can get through this.

RE:  Attorneys

You can do it either way.  You can meet with a Divorce/Family Law Attorney and then get your paperwork together or you can make an appointment and get your paperwork together and bring it with you on your first appointment.  When you make an initial appointment you can also ask the attorneys office what paperwork they would like you to bring. My advice would be to secretly and quietly get copies of all vital records and financials and bring them with you on your first visit.  But if having to accumulate all the documents is overwhelming and going to cause you to postpone the appointment then just go to the appointment. Many attorneys do not charge for an initial consultation.  This gives you an opportunity to get information and advice and then seek out other attorneys if the fit is not right for you.  Also, you do not have to have your mind made up about filing for a divorce in order to seek out information.  But having that information and knowing what your rights and liabilities are may be very helpful in planning to seek a divorce.

Either way the attorney will guide you through the initial interview, so you do not need to necessarily prepare questions for them but if you have specific questions you should write them down and bring them with you.

I hope this answers the question you were asking.

"No matter how hard the journey may be, remember to be kind to yourself..."

September 27, 2016 1:42 pm  #9

Thank You!

Board footera