OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 26, 2016 3:24 pm  #1

Kind, Honest, but Lesbian Wife

Hello all (apologies for the length),

My wife came out as lesbian a couple weeks ago, trying to process everything, still very fresh. I am 30 years old, we have been together since age 21, met in college. Began living together immediately after college (I was in law school, she was working a crappy job trying to make ends meet), and finally got married two years ago. We have been through multiple cross-country moves together, multiple job changes, and really just clung to each other through our uncertain and broke post-college twenties. We were finally starting to settle down a little bit the past couple years after our wedding (which is probably when her uncertainty began creeping in--there was finally room to breathe and think about the future, rather than just trying to survive). 

She has not cheated ( I guess she could be lying but I believe her; I pretty much always know where she is and she communicates well, answers her phone, etc.); she wants to be honest with me and not live a lie, and she seems 100% certain about who she is sexually. The strange thing is that while there has been a lot of fighting and pain these past few weeks, she has actually been quite kind about it--acknowledging the hurt she is causing, sitting with me, letting me ask questions, letting me get mad, etc. There is no doubt in my mind we still love each other a great deal (I have felt it very clearly), we just apparently want different things for the relationship. I can feel her hurt as well, and it is genuine. She is scared too. She has said she does not want to be a lesbian, and does not want to divorce and break up our life, but is acknowledging that is likely where this leads if she is being true to who she is, and if she truly wants me to be happy (which she says she does). 

She told me she was scared to tell me because I have said in the past that I would cut-off all contact with an ex, and while she isn't sure we can be married, she does not want to lose me being part of her life. Now facing the prospect of this situation as a reality, I cannot imagine losing her either. It is not her "fault" she is a lesbian, and she has not been unfaithful or dismissed my feelings at all. The only thing I can really be upset about is how it turns my life upside down, and the fact that she is just figuring this out now. We have been through so much struggle together and built a life together after college from literally nothing--I cannot imagine going through all of that with someone else. But at the same time I don't know if it is fair to either one of us to continue being married. 

I do not hate my wife; I never will. I do not want to live my life with bitterness and resentment. That gets me nowhere if I ever want to find happiness. Frankly, I actually respect her even more for how she is handling this awful situation. But she is all I have ever known, the only adult relationship I have ever had, and it is probably ending. I don't know what to do and I feel lost. 

Is there anyone who has a similar experience with a spouse that has handled coming out in a loving, honest, and respectful way (yes, I realize it is relative, given the situation)? What did you do? Where did you end up? Did you stay together, get divorced? I am angry for sure, but I am much more sad and scared. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. 

September 26, 2016 4:29 pm  #2

Re: Kind, Honest, but Lesbian Wife

Hi sct86

yes isn't it confusing when your partner turns out to be attracted to their own sex not yours.

overwhelmingly people report that they experience their sexuality in adolescence.  

It's not surprising you should have some feelings on discovery - it's good that she's being as honest and caring as she is and it sounds like there is real love between you and frankly a good friend like that is worth all the tea in China.

every bone in my body says that a mixed orientation marriage will hurt hurt and hurt more - not just my experience but that of so many.  

so yes I believe her, and I believe that she truly does want you to be happy in her suggestion of moving forward into divorce.  goodness, you have the chance to stop the marriage now and become friends for life.  that would be wonderful.  you could help each other.

wishing you all the best, Lily

September 26, 2016 4:49 pm  #3

Hey Sct86.... Scott? < my guess at your name

It's certainly not unheard of for a spouse to come out as gay NOT having cheated and being very remorseful. I guess it makes it a little easier but it's still heartbreaking. Heartbreaking in a different way maybe.

You didn't mention children so I'm hoping you don't have that complication.

What you do have (hopefully) is time. Since your relationship is good I suggest that you take things slow. Consider going to couples or individual counseling (or both) to explore this new revelation.

In the past I have noticed that once the truth is out things can change quickly. You might find your wife suddenly wanting to 'act out'. I'm hoping, for your sake, that there isn't someone in the background of all this. Don't get me wrong.... there may not be... and I'm not trying to make you paranoid.... but often there is   Women usually stick with the status quo until they have options and all their ducks are lined up - or at least as lined up as they think they can be. Your wife might be different and is simply being completely honest with you about her attractions.

If it is the case... that there is no one else and there is no immediate plan for her to leave she might be willing to explore this whole issue with a counsellor or therapist. Not with a view to making her 'not gay' but with a view to making the dissolution of your marriage as easy(?) as possible. *not that any divorce is easy but you know what I mean*

Last edited by Steve (September 26, 2016 8:19 pm)

You have a future. A good one. It begins as a flicker of hope. Nurture it until it becomes a dream and when you are strong enough you will make it a reality. NEVER give up. 

September 26, 2016 4:55 pm  #4

Sorry you are here and there is no need to apologize for the length of your message. If your wife hasn't lied to you, still loves you and truly gets what she is putting you through. Then you have been given something that many of us don't get ! Even better it sounds like there are no kids involved.  I can't answer your question specifically. But I will say that I understand your hurt and the feeling that you have done so much together and that you can't imagine being without her.  I don't see how you can stay married now. Although you can't see it now you are young and you do have so to look forward to.  There will be other people who will want to share their life with you. In the meantime,  I am sorry that this has happened but know that you will get through this !

September 26, 2016 7:02 pm  #5

She may not have acted yet on her SSA but she will probably want to in time. It also sounds like she knows that it's not fair to you to leave you hanging around in limbo. I think the idea of counseling is good but don't neglect a private counseling outlet. It's important to have a way to talk about any hurt without the other party in the room to feel guilty about it. Maybe you can explore the different options together, separation vs. divorce or how to get from one to the other in a way that is fair to both of you. If you continue to co-habitate figure out what the arrangements are. If either of you explore other relationships is bringing someone home a "no-go"? If you both care about each others futures you need to talk about all these "what-if's" before they become "right now".

For what it's worth, I don't hate my ex but don't have much contact either, mostly just the odd comment on facebook. We split without a ton of drama but there's not a lot to talk about. Old times are just uncomfortable reminders of what was and couldn't be in the long run.

There will be pain but you can come out of this as a more confident person.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

September 26, 2016 10:06 pm  #6

Steve: first name is Spencer, apologies.

Thank you everyone for the replies. Feels nice to know there are others out there. She is seeing a therapist about it, and we have talked about eventually seeing someone together to figure out the transition (I think it is a bit early for that though, it's been fairly explosive the past couple weeks). I don't think open marriage is realistic for either of us--we have talked a little about it and both acknowledged it probably wouldn't go well. 

We have talked about what to do with the house and our two dogs; and you are all correct, no kids in the picture. She is sleeping in the guest room (on the advice of her therapist--in order to avoid sending mixed signals), and has acknowledged pretty explicitly she wants to act on her SSA eventually, hence the need to move on from the marriage. I agree it does not have to be immediate, however, I don't think it's fair to totally slow play things, either--it just keeps us stuck in something that isn't real anymore and prevents healing.

It just really, really sucks knowing you're going to lose the person you've shared everything with to this point; and it is far worse knowing in your heart that losing that person is actually what's best for you and what needs to happen for you to be happy. That's not a truth many people have to face, and I guess I don't know what to do with it right now.  

September 26, 2016 10:53 pm  #7

The dog was a sanity saver for me. Unconditional companionship and a regular schedule of stuff to do instead of wallowing in my own misery.

You're right - this situation sucks. None of us want to be here. We have to keep reminding ourselves that there is a better future ahead no matter how dark the road looks at present. Thankfully a few of the regulars here have made it which gives us all hope.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

September 27, 2016 6:52 am  #8

Daryl,
I don't have the schedule for a dog or pet but I now see why folks have them. It really shows one what love is and a dog does not lie or cheat.
Its funny...I was like a dog to my lezex, I gave unconditional love..well conditions being she be faithful and treat me kindly..but she thought those conditions were too much.  Its a scary thought to realize our spouses were never capable of basic human love.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

September 27, 2016 12:39 pm  #9

Dear sc,

You and your wife have both worked very hard towards creating a family and a life together and it has created a strong bond. Like most young couples you do it for each other and you do it for your future together. Now you are both faced with having to move in different directions even though you both love each other.  No break up is easy, but this is your first one and to someone that has been with you every step of the way through your early adult years. That closeness makes the breakup even harder.  But your W did the grown up and honest thing and she has told you the truth.  Her honesty and truth is a gift to you.  It tells you that you did nothing wrong, that you are capable and worthy of creating another loving relationship, and that you will be able to eventually move on and recover.  While it would have been better if she had told you she was a L two years ago before marriage, she is telling you now. If she loves you that much then she will love you enough to let you go and find a woman who will love you as only a straight woman can.

Since you do not have any children, keep it that way.  It sounds like you both will recover and if you both choose to remain friends. My best to both of you. May you both find happiness and love.

"No matter how hard the journey may be, remember to be kind to yourself..."

September 28, 2016 9:32 am  #10

Hello Spencer, welcome to SSN - I'm really pleased you've found us.

My situation is almost identical to yours. When I first posted here (almost a year ago to the day!), I was 31, I'd been with my ex-wife (spoiler alert?) for 12 years (we got together at 19, she was my first girlfriend) and married for 5. No kids, but we did have a pet together. 

In my situation we tried for a few weeks to see if we could make things work - we spoke for hours and hours, not only trying to find compromises which we could both be happy with, but also excising demons and taboo subjects that had grow up in our time together. Sadly, we couldn't reach compromises we could both be happy with. This was on both sides - she was entering the 'gay adolescence' (the period immediately after coming out when the person experiences almost a re-birth - life becomes exciting as they are happy with themselves for the first time in possibly decades. It's almost like being a teenager again). I however in the uncertainty of the situation held firm to what I knew I wanted in my life - I wanted to start a family, I wanted to be a Dad. Obviously there was much more to it than just that, but those ideas were incompatible and so we decided we had to split. 

I don't know if how we handled things would suit you - every situation is different. I will set it out below, in the hope it gives you some support. I must stress this is just how I did handled the situation - I don't claim it to be the right way to do things, it's just how I did it. I really don't want you to take away from this that I think you should do what I did - you need to do what is right for you and you alone!!

OK - after that rather chunky disclaimer... 

We planned how our separation would go. We agreed that we would need to start new lives, and at first we could not be in each other's lives - at least at first. We were quite codependent, which we recognised as unhealthy, and so we agreed the best way for us both to start again was to go no-contact at first.

No-contact is often recommended on this forum. It worked for me - it was awful at first, but it gave me the space I needed to build myself a new life. 

We agreed that after a set amount of time of no-contact, we would via 'gate-keepers' let each other know we were ready to be 'just friends'. The idea of not having each other in our lives was too painful to consider, although we accepted we could only be in each other lives at a reasonable distance to ensure we successfully reestablished our independence. 

After we separated, I started the divorce proceedings immediately - this was not what we had agreed, but it was the most cost effective thing to do. I was also being selfish (and rightfully so) - I needed to know what was going to happen with the assets in the marriage as they were more mine than hers. I therefore got the ball rolling ASAP, as I didn't want that hanging over my head. This was also the advice I got from my family, who in the early days were instrumental in helping me get through.

After about 2 months, we met up to discuss divorce stuff only. That meeting went OK - it was awkward and uncomfortable, but we kept to the subject of the divorce and tried to thrash out some agreement. 

About two months after that we met again, again to only discuss the divorce. This meeting did not go so well. She told me that her feelings had changed, and she didn't want to see me again, and she just wanted me out of her life. To some extent, I felt she was blaming me for what happened, as I had started the divorce proceedings. I've not seen her since. 

This was hard - I was still working toward the idea that we would be friends in the undefined future. Even in just four months of no-contact, we had started to drift further apart in significant ways. It's possible her blaming me was a coping mechanism to help her adjust to her new life (of which I know nearly nothing) but this drove home to me that I am not part of her life any more, and she was not part of mine.

She was not aware of how I had started to build myself a new life. When we split, I threw myself at my friends and family, who were really terrific. I accepted every invitation to meet up with people, and I strengthened my existing relationships and through those built new ones - for example through my best friend I've now made a whole 'gang' of friends and I'm just 'one of the guys'. These guys are now some of the most important people in my life. My relationship with my family is stronger than ever. And last but very much not least - I was lucky enough that a wonderful new relationship has bloomed with one of the friends I reconnected with in the aftermath. 

I did not anticipate or intend to be in a new relationship so quickly. I explained this to my girlfriend at the start, and we took it slow so that it did not impact on my recovery. But when things click sometimes it best just to roll with them...

Here I am a year on from declaration, and I am happier than I've been in years and years. At first I wanted to stay friends, but now I am comfortable with the fact that my ex is now part of my past, not my present or my future.

I think what I'm trying to say, is right now you will not know how things are going to be when you do separate. Don't deny yourself things you want in your future, to preserve part of your past. 

And even more importantly - keep posting. This place got me through the darkest days I've ever known. Trust me - it gets better.

Board footera