OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 14, 2016 9:23 am  #1

How to trust again

So, I am moving out this weekend for good and I think he will be moving back to Texas (we currently both live in NC, but TX is his home state). 

I'm of course thinking about the future and how I don't want all of this to "ruin" me. 

How have you all that have been through this moved forward and learned to trust again? How do you know you aren't dating another man/woman that is bi or gay. I have so many fears and don't want to live my life alone because of them! 

September 14, 2016 10:58 am  #2

Re: How to trust again

Ca,

Once the healing begins and some time passes, you will begin to have the desire to get out there again.  There are guys out there worthy of trust and dating can be fun when you have regained your sense of humor.  After TGT I was eventually able to trust again, but not naively or blindly like I had in the past.  Where I had once trusted too much, I now trust enough.  

I think many of us fear finding another GID or being alone. Those fears are really common after TGT.  But, you are one smart strong woman and I think that you will be able to weed out the GID guys from the Str8 ones the next time around. Once you have been introduced to the world of GID it is hard to not see it when it is coming at you.  

You have spent some considerable time being gaslighted by a partner you trusted.  Time and space away from him will clear your head and make you realize how wonderful you are. You self-esteem will return and when the time is right to start dating again you will know it.

Stay strong this weekend and remember to breathe.

Last edited by WendiT (September 14, 2016 1:20 pm)

"No matter how hard the journey may be, remember to be kind to yourself..."

September 14, 2016 1:12 pm  #3

Thank you, WendiT! Your post was very helpful and made me feel hopeful! Hugs! 

September 14, 2016 1:21 pm  #4

Sending E-Hugs right back at ya, ca.  

You can do this and we have your back.

"No matter how hard the journey may be, remember to be kind to yourself..."

September 14, 2016 1:30 pm  #5

Perfect response WendyT.

They say 'time heals'. I'm not sure that it 'heals' but it at least dulls the pain. In time CA you will feel less broken and a desire will be re-born in you to love and be loved. It might take a while (and you actually should give yourself that time to grieve) but always have at the back of your mind that your ex is not 'everyman'. He's just one messed up guy.

There's plenty of straight guys out there who would love to be loved by you and who will love you back. One day - when the time is right - you might go get one

You have a future. A good one. It begins as a flicker of hope. Nurture it until it becomes a dream and when you are strong enough you will make it a reality. NEVER give up. 

September 14, 2016 9:09 pm  #6

I hope to trust again someday. 
For now I'm alone..it's just me.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

Board footera