OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 12, 2016 3:17 pm  #1

therapy

Hi all. Just wondered he useful this has been. Tried two recently. The first, a woman just let's me talk continuously.  Then saiys things like " is this helping". I then tried a male gay counsellor. He seems pto keep telling me I don't understand how "bi works". Both asked me if u would feel comfortable letting my husband bring his friends home or if its something I could be part of???  None of these are options to me. More confused than ever. Its like they are saying I can have my life back if I overlook this or accept this side of him. Just feel so tired. Wake up exhausted and go to bed exhausted.

September 12, 2016 3:41 pm  #2

Re: therapy

Typically counsellors and therapists aren't supposed to tell you what to do but they are supposed to guide you and draw out your own thoughts, feelings and ideas. At most they might present options for you to explore. They might also encourage you to see things in new or different ways but ultimately the idea is that YOU come up with the strategies that are best for you.

If you feel they aren't doing that or if you feel the therapist is trying to force values or ideas on you that aren't your own then you might consider changing therapist but be wary of 'shopping around' until you find one that will tell you exactly what you want to hear or who simply parrots back at you what you have just said to them. They aren't particularly helpful either.

Last edited by Steve (September 12, 2016 4:02 pm)

You have a future. A good one. It begins as a flicker of hope. Nurture it until it becomes a dream and when you are strong enough you will make it a reality. NEVER give up. 

September 12, 2016 4:36 pm  #3

Maybe what they are asking you is to consider if this is an option for you, to help you set some boundaries for yourself and your marriage. If your answer is no, and it's being asked of you, or possibly being tossed out as an option by your husband, then you know what you need to do.

September 12, 2016 5:24 pm  #4

Thank you. I guess when I see no way forward and they give me options, it makes me diubt myself. Makes me think its possible to keep my life. But how can I acceptcthr unacceptable. Makes it harder to move forward.

September 12, 2016 5:50 pm  #5

If what is being suggested is that your husband be allowed to 'have his cake and eat it too' (i.e. Stay married to you and live a gay life 'on the side') and that is simply not an option for you then that's all you should need to say.

Most people go into a marriage expecting fidelity. Expecting to 'forsake all others'... 'Until death parts us'. Be very clear where your boundaries are. I mean... When you got married what did you sign up for?? Your husband can't move the goal posts now and expect you to happily play along. YOU are still reading from the script. It's HIM who has gone off script. HE needs to take responsibility for that and accept that you don't have to change anything if you don't want to.

YOU get to decide how far he goes off script before you leave the scene.

Last edited by Steve (September 12, 2016 6:27 pm)

You have a future. A good one. It begins as a flicker of hope. Nurture it until it becomes a dream and when you are strong enough you will make it a reality. NEVER give up. 

September 12, 2016 6:10 pm  #6

Dear L&S-

I’ve been in those same shoes / therapy chairs. 

Counseling / therapy might work for some.  Do, however, pay more attention to what you know in your gut over listening to ‘professionals.‘  This is your life and your journey.  Live it. 

My repeat tries over decades of bad marriage to honestly work things out with my GIDXW caused only repeat scuttles back to her closet.  A more convincing liar than I was telling truth, she successfully gas lighted five (5) marriage counselors, so fixated on helping people that they ignored what I told them and they’d been taught. Closing words to me from the one counselor who really got her was, “You’re dealing with Satanism and it will last as long as you let it.” Gullible, do-gooder therapists who are over their head dealing with narcs are a bad investment of time and money.   

Other thoughts on this: 
-  Explains why NOT to do therapy with your GID spouse: http://www.co.washington.or.us/CommunityCorrections/VictimServices/Services/upload/12-Reasons-Why-Couples-DV.pdf   and http://flyingmonkeysdenied.com/never-take-a-narcissistic-person-to-meet-your-counselor/ 
-  A therapists prayer about narcissists: http://letmereach.com/2014/01/10/a-prayer-for-those-diagnosing-the-narcissist/  
-  “The Sociopath Next Door” book by Stout explains who you’ve been gamed by and spaths’ cold, reptilian world view. 
-  http://www.chumplady.com/2012/10/marriage-counseling-quackery/
-   http://www.chumplady.com/2014/12/cheaters-therapy-precautions/

-  http://www.chumplady.com/2015/09/dear-chump-lady-my-ex-wife-wants-me-to-go-to-therapy-with-her/
-  http://www.chumplady.com/2013/07/dear-chump-lady-my-wife-wont-go-to-counseling/

Your journey from life as a beard / closet keeper is about finding your own truth, then acting in your best interests – and ceasing to waste your time & energy on a duplicitous, gay spouse.  

Best - John

September 12, 2016 7:14 pm  #7

L&S -

It sounds a little bit like you aren't sure yourself what you do want, but you already do know what you don't want; is that accurate?  Like others have said, the therapist's job is to help you discover what you want, and to explore options with you. It is not the therapist's job to tell you what to do or how to do it. Early on in therapy, if they are anything at all like my therapist, they will be asking you a lot of questions upfront designed to help you clarify your thoughts, wants, needs, etc. If you aren't sure of what you want, then tell the therapist that, so that s/he knows that "uncertainty" is your starting point. If you can identify what you don't want, include that too. Their job is to help you fill in the blanks, but not to fill in the blanks for you. But they need to know where and what the blanks are. And if you yourself aren't sure what the blanks are, then they need to know that too.

A good therapist is able to take feedback from you.
A good therapist does not become argumentative with you.
A good therapist does not fix the problem for you, he teaches you how to fix it yourself.
A good therapist works himself out of his job, meaning he teaches you to become independent, even from him.
A good therapist makes no promises but offers hope.
A good therapist admits and explains his mistakes, but does not defend them, and he knows the difference.
A good therapist will ask difficult and painful questions of you.
A good therapist does not ask favors of you.
A good therapist does not give you a fish, he teaches you to fish.
A good therapist listens and empathizes without coddling you.
A good therapist will (tactfully) help you see where you get in your own way.
A good therapist does not claim to have all the answers and admits it when he doesn't have an answer.
A good therapist is licensed and credentialed and will show you proof of his education and training.
A good therapist will not have a dual relationship with you; he is your therapist, not your buddy, not your lawyer, not your minister, not your neighbor, not your teacher. He is your therapist, and nothing else.

On the other hand, if you are repeating a pattern of starting therapy and leaving to find another therapist, and this is a pattern because you can't find a "good" therapist, consider that the problem might be you, and not the string of therapists. After all, if this is a pattern that keeps happening to you, then the common denominator each time is you. (I am talking here about one-to-one therapy, not couples counseling.)

Last edited by BryonM (September 12, 2016 9:44 pm)

"I have given you my soul, leave me my name!"  - John Proctor, The Crucible
"Question everything you've been told; hold fast to what is true and good." - I Thessalonians 5:21

Board footera