OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 7, 2019 4:22 pm  #1

thoughts on bisexuality and monogamy

Though I know human sexuality is a massively complex picture, I cannot escape the conclusion that where the rubber meets the road sexuality is binary, it is magnetic, either you are attracted or you are repulsed.  

The idea of bisexuality at that level of purely physical attraction - well I can only imagine it as inoperable - to be attracted and repulsed at the same time?

We don't want to jump into bed with everyone who has the right bits, do we.  It starts with being attracted to the person.  falling in love.  feeling romantic is feeling phyically attracted to a particular person.  Monogamy is at work.  We want to start a family.  

For the straight there is no problem.  It all collides - the wish for emotional intimacy, children and life partner coincide in the one body but for the bisexual there is this issue of wanting the same sex physically going in the opposite direction - away from the union.

and I know for me it was like in the early days there was this inexplicable cooling off and I went through all the oh it's my fault but I ended up not wanting to have sex with him either.  Emotionally it was like sucking on a lolly that has a nice taste on the outside but not nice inside.

So the latest thought that has occurred to me, horrible as it is, is that the more bisexual a person is, the more they can tolerate having sex with a person of the wrong physicality, maybe that's a sign they are less in touch with their feelings.

sorry.  had to share...

all the best, everyone, Lily

Last edited by lily (June 7, 2019 5:27 pm)

June 7, 2019 6:44 pm  #2

Re: thoughts on bisexuality and monogamy

I think....no person can ever be exactly the same as  another.

"more bisexual" must be a purely personal reckoning, from the particular moment
in one's journey, combined with history, personality and intimate knowledge of the
bisexual one perhaps....
I know my points of view about this subject aren't the same as they were 2 years ago, 
so I know for a fact this is a constantly changing, not a stagnant beast.

KIA KAHA                       

June 7, 2019 7:28 pm  #3

to quote myself

"Though I know human sexuality is a massively complex picture, I cannot escape the conclusion that where the rubber meets the road sexuality is binary, it is magnetic, either you are attracted or you are repulsed."

See the thing is LXO, the bisexuals seem to me to have an anything goes type mentality and though this might work for them it doesn't for the straights.  We often like to think things through and it really helps when we achieve some objective understanding.

in a sense everything is a 'purely personal reckoning' of course it is but I explained what I meant in my post - the ones who are more able to tolerate having sex with the opposite sex.

thanks, Lily

June 7, 2019 8:48 pm  #4

I know what you mean about the "anything goes mentality"....because 10 years ago I had the same, convinced by the safety and trust in my r'ship that nothing could hurt us. It was exciting, I felt adventurous...but I look back now and tho 
I can't pinpoint the exact moment it happened at some point...the way we both viewed our r'ship changed, and while I "put the brakes on" he seemed to possess an entitlement for "everything and full-steam ahead"

Little did I know.....I actually didn't know him at all

KIA KAHA                       

June 8, 2019 6:23 pm  #5

"put the brakes on" - my guess is that is your wish for a monogamous relationship kicking in. 

Me I am your garden variety straight monogamous - give me the right man (straight for starters) and I am not going to stray, I am not going to want to open up the marriage at all, I'll want him to myself.  My ex knew that and he just kept lying about being gay.  

He finally admitted to being bisexual and I think two factors were at play - first he was surprised when I asked him if he was bisexual and hadn't already prepared himself to deflect it.  and second there is a lot of chat on the internet amongst bisexuals about bisexual meaning you can marry straights and this is how you get your straight spouse to go along with it.

as I said - anything goes - no real connection to a shared reality with straights in what they say but say it enough and before you know it we're all believing it.

when I persisted in saying whatever bisexual was it wasn't straight and he should have told me he took it back.   I'm 100% straight he said and expected to be able to get me to go along with that.

No I didn't know him at all either.  It was a rapid education, and years later I am still unpacking it.

Enjoy the peace and quiet though.

Last edited by lily (June 8, 2019 6:26 pm)

June 8, 2019 7:42 pm  #6

lily wrote:

"put kicking the brakes on" - my guess is that is your wish for a monogamous relationship kicking in 
Yes...and kicking in too late..

No I didn't know him at all either.  It was a rapid education, and years later I am still unpacking it.
Enjoy the peace and quiet though. I can imagine the Peace and Quiet but can't quite visualise it 
as being real or even possible yet. 

KIA KAHA                       

June 8, 2019 10:20 pm  #7

Thanks for posting and having this discussion, lily and ellexoh.  I know I have been parsing out the whole "bi and monogamy" thing on a couple of different threads the past couple of days.  This because in my own situation, it is such a huge part of the fog and confusion.  I end up writing a lot about it, and it helps me to see it more logically when I write it out.  But it is also very very triggering, and puts me into the world of confusion, so then I end up exhausted. 

For me, one of the biggest challenges has been how my husband's definitions of things and waht he says are ever-changing.  Like he is a shape-shifter.  I really believe that for him, "bi" is a way of him trying to convince me I want to stay, to manipulate me to get what he wants, for me to live in a reality where he matters but I do not, and "truth" does not. 

I asked him once, as he was first identifying as bisexual, trying to affirm at the same time, though feeling absolutely frustrated with his denial:  "That is very lovely, that you love the person for themselves, not for the gender.  But I was here all along, warm and consistent, and I am one of the two genders.  Why did you need a man?"  He tends to answer "It is more complicated than that."  or "I felt alienated from you" or "I don't feel like I matter; you never care about what I want."  Etc etc.

There is always a reason why I am not enough.  And I know it does not matter whether he is on hookup sites for men or women--he just does not want me.  I wish he would just own what his actions should be telling him.  Instead, he continues to obfuscate.

June 9, 2019 7:23 am  #8

As you all know, bisexuality was not the issue with my then-husband-now-ex.  But OnMyOwnTwoFeet, much of what you are saying about your "parsing out" what he meant, and your husband's responses to you as well as his actions toward you, fit exactly with my situation. 

Although my now-ex declared himself to be trans, not bisexual, I spent hours and hours--the entire summer of 2015, in fact--trying to figure out what, exactly, "trans" was, reading the work of both consulting and academic psychologists, online activist groups, gender critical feminists, etc etc ad nauseum.  (Over at Chump Lady, they call this "untangling the skein" (focusing on HIM, not YOU), but I hadn't then discovered Chump Lady.)  I have often said I gave myself a graduate degree in Trans Studies.

I would often ask my then-husband questions, based on what I was reading, to see his reaction.  And here, yet again, OnMyOwnTwoFeet, what I experienced was a lot like what you have.  He would answer, sort of; sort of, I say, because is answers about what he was thinking and feeling, how he experienced and defined himself, were "ever-changing." 

He wanted to stay married to me, he said, but his actions didn't match his words, at least not in my judgment, from my perspective.  If I were going to stay married to a person who called himself trans, and refused to take any future feminizing action off the table, which meant, as far as I was concerned, that our entire future was contingent on what he might do, I needed openness and transparency, a willingness to engage, to provide me with the information I needed to make an informed decision about whether I needed to exit the marriage.  He wouldn't give this.

Instead I got a lot of obfuscatory talk (verbal gymnastics, I called it once here; Chump Lady calls it "word salad"), some acknowledgement he needed to change ("I know I need to communicate more" he said, at least three times, but never followed through), and blame-shifting ("I know I need to communicate more" morphed into "I don't feel I can talk to you").  I, too, heard a version of "it's more complicated than that," which in my now-ex's case also meant "I'm just more evolved than you are." 

I also got manipulated; he once actually admitted to manipulating me to get me to accept his pushing the boundaries.  I was perfectly willing to deal with him up front, two people in a committed marriage negotiating a compromise of what they each needed, but instead of honest conversation he opted to manipulate me to get me to do what he wanted. You say your husband is like a "shape-shifter"; I say mine was a fog machine; he was creating a fog around me so that I would lose my way and be unable to see the twists and turns and alternative routes available to me.  

The bottom line was exactly what you see it to be, OnMyOwnTwo Feet.  There was always a reason I was not doing enough to accommodate what he wanted.  I figured out eventually that I would never be able to do enough, and he would never consider me an equal partner whose rights were equal to his, and who was due equal consideration and respect.  And like your husband, mine would never "own what his actions should be telling him."  Instead, my now-ex, too, "continue[d] to obfuscate," and he left it up to me to act to end the marriage.  

I spent some time trying to figure that out, too, before I decided that it wasn't worth my while figuring it out, that it distracted from the work I had to do for myself, caring for myself, and healing from what was a very damaging experience.  All I have to know is that he is very troubled person who was willing to sacrifice me to fulfilling his newly declared desire, and that I am better off away from him.

June 10, 2019 12:06 am  #9

Thank you so much for this generous response, OOHC.  I so appreciated this validation.  Your graduate degree made me laugh!  I had just told my husband yesterday (in my I-am-so-angry-that-my-hair-keeps-flying-in-my-face  talk) that I had read and written enough for two PhDs now.

The word salad and untangling the skein--BTW I love ChumpLady!--I agree with this, that it is a waste of my life to work on this.  However, I also think it is required to a point for two things: first, as WE NOW ALL SHOULD KNOW from our required-reading NYT essay by Ana Fels (!) we are trying to rewrite our personal narrative, so we keep searching for information--we are desperate for any information.  And second, because we are still in love when we get the life-changing news, and our spouses often keep trying to have cake, we just don't know what to believe.  I know I kept looking for anything that might help me make sense of my husband's feelings for me.  Even though I can't read his mind, it is important in an intimate relationship to have confidence in your partner's feelings. 

Several of the points you made reminded me of a book I've been recommending on this site recently--have you read it too?  Bancroft and Patrissi, Should I Stay or Should I Go?  I really appreciate their guided approach to not just assessing my relationship based on standards for healthy relationships, but also in helping me see through some of the obfuscation, shape shifting, blame shifting, and fog. 

I especially appreciated their "rules for a saveable relationship" and the point about how absolute truth about past sexual behaviors (or any other foundational thing) is required, because a partner must give us the information we need to make informed decisions about our own lives.  It really drove home to me:  why would I even be FRIENDS with someone who would try to manipulate me by withholding such important information. If a partner is not willing to do this, that means they are manipulating you.

I also have appreciated how they guide readers into thinking about ourselves--what is our time worth?  What is our insight worth?  What are our goals?  Can we be whole people in this relationship?  Reading this book has made me realize my relationship was much less healthy than I had even realized--and on issues that are not sexuality.

When do we get our new diplomas?!

June 10, 2019 6:54 am  #10

OMOTF,

I got my diploma from the court in the form of my divorce decree .  I should hang it up alongside my BA, my two MAs, and my PhD.  It was without a doubt the most difficult of all for me to achieve.

Funny, I have never read Bancroft but when I was in the "can I stay?/what means I'll have to go?" stage in the first nine months after disclosure, a phase that also overlapped with my "pick me" dance, I told my now-ex that if he wasn't going to take any future feminizing act off the table I needed to know what he was thinking and planning--in other words, that he needed to be transparent (haha, inadvertent trans joke, referring to the tv show)--so I could decide--make an informed decision--what I needed to do for myself.  The thing was, he wasn't interested in my making any informed decisions, or in being transparent (except in that tv show way).  He was only interested in getting what he wanted. 
     At the time, I thought that what he wanted included me and staying married; after all, in a moment of sexual satisfaction when I had prostituted myself to his acting out his sexual fantasies/desires he had gushed "I want to live with you the rest of my life!"  I had yet to learn that consistency over time was not behavior to be expected from him, and that he had not committed to anything more than living with me on a contingent basis, which to him meant, "as long as is convenient and useful for me."  And that turned out to mean "as long as you service my sexual needs, validate me "as a woman," on top of the service I was already providing as the dutiful wife appliance taking care of everything around the house.  I kept thinking he just didn't understand what I was going through, and believed that if he did he'd change his behavior, so I kept tryng to tell him, but it wasn't that he didn't understand--he just didn't care.  There was no empathy either in intellectual or in emotional understanding.  There was only him and what he wanted.  Once I figured that out, I had the key to understanding him, and that allowed me to stop hoping "things" (oh so much contained in that "things"!) could be fixed.

Your point about friendship struck home with me, because while we were in the thick of the divorce process, my now-ex wrote to say he "hoped" that "once we're through the hard part we can be friends."  My response was exactly yours: "Why would I want to be friends with someone who has treated me the way you have and said the things you have?"  I also know that his desire to be "friends" serves his narrative of "amicable divorce," which in turn serves his continued inhabitation of the closet and the deception he continues to perpetrate on our son, his own father, and everyone he works with.  Now that I'm no longer living with or married to him, he sometimes acts toward me--gaslights me--as if nothing that happened ever happened, as if I am a baby who has not yet acquired the capacity for object permanence.  I, however, have pictures and emails, printed out, and saved; when I occasionally need the reminder that yes, it happened, and yes, he was as off his rocker as I remember him then, I get them out to validate my sense of the way things were.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (June 10, 2019 8:16 am)

Board footera