OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 13, 2019 9:38 pm  #1

Friday will be D-Day - recollection, reflection, and asking for advice

I need to vent and reflect a bit and appreciate input.

The Ides of March will mark 6 months since my husband and I separated and be the final date on our divorce papers.  It's hard for me to realize that 6 months have come and gone.  I remember the day vividly; I knew things weren't great between us but I kept hoping it was a transitional phase, something we would work through like we had before.  I had been pointedly ignoring the not-so-subtle signs like ordering women's clothing on Amazon.  I thought it might be experimental?  I was deluding myself.  I recall saying to my co-workers that Friday, "It's ok if I stay a bit late, I'm in no hurry to get home."  I wasn't in a hurry because there'd been so much emotional volatility, neediness, and hints of his being transgender that I wasn't foreseeing peace and quiet for the evening. 

So yes, I saw it coming. 

No, I wasn't prepared for it.

I recall getting home and him sitting down, very quietly, and telling me in a calm, restrained voice that he needed to leave. He needed to explore his gender identity.  

Despite the hints it hit me like a ton of bricks.  The next few months were really kind of a blur of packing boxes, contacting a lawyer, and trying to keep going with work as if nothing was really, truly disruptive.  My life plans had always included him, through rough times and good, so this was totally out of my world view.  I never thought I'd be navigating divorce.  

Fortunately, I'm reasonably professionally successful and in good standing financially moving forward.  I can be financially self-sufficient.  The rest of it kind of sucks, though.  This isn't where I thought I'd be.  I'd planned to grow old together and after 20 years of knowing each other, 17 years of living together, and 5 years of marriage this isn't where I thought I'd be.  

Winter was rough and I ended up navigating somewhat urgent gynecological surgery without a spouse to drive me home as directed. (I'm still working out what single people do with all those medical tests and procedures that say "you must have a driver and cannot be home alone afterwards" - do we just not do them?) My mother was fortunately able and willing to help but I can't rely on that in years future and honestly would prefer not to.  

I've had multiple recurring dreams about him coming back pre-gender issues and the funny thing is that in all of them the nightmare part is that he does want to come back, and I no longer want or trust him, so in the dreams I'm paralyzed by choice.  I usually wake up relieved to find he is still gone and I don't have to make that choice.  I have the very real personal communications and Facebook posts to provide collaborative evidence that he is gone for good and now thoroughly and happily "she" in a new life I want no part of.

In most ways I've felt like I'm moving forward.  I have redecorated for the most part.  I have a new routine.  I've always been an introvert and for half of our years together he worked 2nd shift so evenings alone are rather comforting.  I've also gone out for drinks or dinner with co-workers and friends more and enjoyed it.  I feel good, confident, and feel like I've been working on my loss. I'm looking into travel plans for the summer since he was always a terrible traveler and frankly wanted to mope/relax at the hotel rather than see sights.  I've traveled alone before and can do so again, so I'm enjoying looking into it. 

At the same time, I feel haunted.  I will probably never escape his telling me in a moment of nastiness, "You're too fat to have sex with," (BMI 31.. Yes, I weigh too much, but not THAT much in terms of spousal intimacy).  I know this came from his own issues, I know it came from lashing out, I also know I could stand to be in better shape and would like to be.  At the same time, I won't feel sexy at the beach and sometimes struggle to think I will date again if I don't turn things around.

As of Friday and the court date it will all be very real, not just paperwork and meetings with a lawyer.  We'll be divorced for real.  

I am working on getting in shape but I hate to think I'm not relationship quality unless I do. Part of me thinks I have my act together, part is beset by the multiple (not just weight) hurtful things he said before we eventually broke up.  I do think he has some element of personality disorder and was just plain lashing out.  The hard part is moving forward, recognizing that all of this is really real as of Friday, and looking towards the future.  I want to think I'm good enough as I am, but also know I'm not what I was at 24 when he and I met.  

Ugh, this sucks.  

Thank you all for support. 

-Calamity

March 13, 2019 10:15 pm  #2

Re: Friday will be D-Day - recollection, reflection, and asking for advice

Do not fixate on your weight.  I can tell you that is not important
to a lot of us men.     
I used to say I would out with anyone on this board sight unseen just based on everyone's sincerity, empathy and true authenticity.

Your self care and future plans sound great..keep it up.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

March 14, 2019 7:04 pm  #3

Calamity,
  I wouldn't be at all surprised if your ex's (soon to be) venomous attacks on you were at least partly motivated by his envy of your femaleness.  Unlike our exes, who must convince themselves they're women, and ape Woman by outward show (clothes, makeup, unnatural and learned  gestures or ways of moving) and believe that makes them women, our femininity, our woman's way of moving in the world, comes naturally from within, and therefore is effortless for us.  My ex both envied and resented that in me, my effortless womanhood, even when he was proclaiming his love for my femaleness (although he styled me "butch," a style and sense of self that has never been mine, that undermined my own sense of myself as a woman, and which I eventually realized he pinned to me because it served his desire to be a girly-girl and therefore to cast me as his opposite).  
   What he did by attacking you over your weight was give voice to his envy and resentment, and to try to offload onto you his own anxieties about passing as a woman and feeling himself to be one after he transitions.  (Don't worry; take comfort in the research, which shows that transitioning does not in fact quell that anxiety; he will continue to feel it, and become more and more defensive about his status as a woman, demanding everyone acknowledge it.)  
    I felt something of what you do now, a lack of self confidence as a woman, full of doubt about my worth as a woman and my own desirability.  It's a result of what they've done to us and what they put us through.  I have found it useful to reclaim myself in a number of ways.  One, I found a photograph of myself that I liked, one in which I am nude, and 7 months pregnant, taken by a woman friend of mine who is an artist, and I looked at that photograph a lot for a little while, and I told myself, "That is what he wants for himself--but it's mine."  I allowed myself to feel a real "ha ha, it's mine and you can't have it" feeling.  In the run up to the divorce, whenever I had to meet with him, I would deliberately wear make up or nail varnish, to combat his charge that I was "butch," and I took a great satisfaction in its being a taunt, as well, because my ex is in the closet, and therefore doesn't let any thing of his "feminizing activities" be seen.  Petty, maybe, but something I needed to do to regain a little self respect after his devaluation of my femininity.
  Good luck tomorrow.  The whole court appearance is anti-climactic, as well as surreal.  Someone I knew who had been through a divorce told me to take someone with me, and you may want to do the same, but I went alone (my ex did not appear, at my request).  
  Congratulations on getting free from a soul killing situation.  And my sympathies that it was necessary.

Edited to add:  Your ex probably wanted you to feel as uneasy in your womanhood as he does in his...
And, Lily's suggestions are good ones.  I've cultivated new networks with friends, and we "do" for each other.  Single women, especially, understand the necessity of cooperative help--I also cook once a week for a friend who hates to cook.  She enjoys the company and the food (I always make enough for both of us to have an additional meal the next day), I get the benefit of cooking for someone, and we each step up in other ways when we need help.  I also catsit for other friends, who then pick up my mail when I'm gone.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (March 15, 2019 11:14 am)

March 14, 2019 10:52 pm  #4

I'd just like to add to the lovely replies you have got so far that I make a bit of an effort to dress attractively when I go out - sometimes you get these nice responses and that can be amazing, but just pushing myself a bit to look good (the extra weight just about disappears with clothes on) helps enormously.

oh and re getting to appts, airports, car servicing etc - I have made friends with a neighbour who lives alone too and I cook for her a bit and she does those drives for me. (she already has an established network of people who do the drives she needs)

Last edited by lily (March 14, 2019 10:58 pm)

March 15, 2019 10:44 pm  #5

Thank you everyone for the supportive words. Out, funny you should mention the make-up; I,too, tend towards very little make-up but in the aftermath of his claims that he knew what "normal" women did (and in support of his habits) I have found myself rebelling a bit. I can certainly wear make-up and looked perfectly good in it. It is mine.  In retrospect, I think for at least the past few years of our relationship he has wanted me to be what he wanted to be, not what he wanted me to be or what I wanted to be, if that makes any sense. To quote: "Your ex probably wanted you to feel as uneasy in your womanhood as he does in his."  Yes, I think this is true in part, maybe even only subconsciously.  I think he felt I had a natural advantage I simply made poor use of.  I could wear more make-up, but opted not to; I could wear heels, but opted not to.   You get the idea. I think his frustration with himself made him lash out at me. 

At first I swore I was going to drop 30lbs and get in phenomenal shape to spite him; but the realities of my body, life, and schedule are what they are and I quickly realized I needed more realistic expectations.  I am getting better at feeling good about myself and realizing that I am ok despite some of the things he said. I know his really devastating words came from deeper issues. Rob, thank you.  I really do want to be in better shape but know I can't hinge everything on "when I manage to...." 

I should have specified, but we actually got the in-person court hearing waived as we had already come to an agreement.  I was fortunate in this.  Now I just get the paperwork in the mail.  I have a host of things to do once I have the paperwork in hand - most involve trucking over to my employer's HR office. 

Prior to today I had a kind of dread in the pit of my stomach - this is all real now, no going back.  (As if I ever had any hope it somehow wasn't...)  In the end I had a pretty normal day at work, a really fun evening out, and am feeling ok.   When this all started I was very much of the mindset that it was one foot in front of the other.  Now I'm thinking it's still one foot in front of the other but also that the unknown future isn't as bad as either I had imagined or what was formerly on track to be.

A friend very thoughtfully arranged dinner out with several other friends on D-day.  I think it did me a world of good.  I felt supported, not alone, and had a great time.  

Board footera