OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 15, 2016 11:07 pm  #1

Dating a straightspouse

Recently started dating a woman whose ex is gay.  Looking for advice in does and donts as our relationship progresses?  She also has children from this previous marriage, so any advice in that direction would help also. It should go without saying that I care for this woman and don't want to screw anything up.  This is uncharted territory for me as I had no idea the scope of this issue before reading up on it.

June 16, 2016 3:37 am  #2

Re: Dating a straightspouse

I'll let the ladies comment but first and foremost I'd say don't be gay :/

Otherwise... just be aware that she might - through no fault of her own - have some trust issues for a while. Many of us straight spouses do. I don't mean that she might think you are gay like her ex. I mean that she might be slow to trust you with her heart.

That being said you are NOT her ex so stand up for yourself if those issues become unreasonable.   

Hopefully, with love and patience and understanding on BOTH your parts you will have the kind of relationship that she - and you - always hoped for.

ps Thanks for loving her and caring enough to research what she has been through with her Ex. It says a lot about you as a person so I'm really happy for you both and hope it works out for you.

You have a future. A good one. It begins as a flicker of hope. Nurture it until it becomes a dream and when you are strong enough you will make it a reality. NEVER give up. 

June 16, 2016 7:10 am  #3

God bless you.  As a guy if I were dating one of the kind straight woman that frequent our forum;

Don't be gay.  While this sounds ridiculous. .really if you had any thoughts or history like that just don't date her.. we straights don't need to be hurt again..

A straight whose spouse was gay will have trust issues.. the hurt betrayal and let's be honest..evil that us straights have been through is unlike anything you can imagine.  I'd rather lose a limb or be in physical pain than go through the pain of a cheating gay spouse.

Your an extremely lucky person.. I wish I could date all the straight women on this forum.  They, to me, represent the most authentic and loving woman...capable of true fierce love.  What you see is their true self and not some facade with hidden secrets where they only care about themselves.

..I know my post sounds crazy but there it is.  As betrayed straight I will always grapple with the evilness of my gay ex wife...how could you say you loved me if you didn't mean it?  How could you go to church with me and praise and promise God if you didn't mean it?
What type of person can stand before God and lie?
...not the straights on this forum..that I know in my bones.

Last edited by Rob (June 16, 2016 7:12 am)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

June 16, 2016 1:43 pm  #4

Thanks guys, to reassure you, I am most definitely not gay.  I can not imagine the pain that she, you and all the others have been through. I've had a marriage break apart, it was painful but nothing near like what I've read here.
I will be understanding on the trust issue. From what I gather it's not just falling out of love, it's a complete betrayal of everything you thought you knew.  It will take time. I think she is worth the wait.
I've appreciated the insight and hope to hear from some of the women. I think their views would be very helpful also.

June 16, 2016 2:55 pm  #5

oh okay I'll reply - don't be gay!!!

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  From your perspective she's proved her potential as a good partner - it's our better nature that made us vulnerable in the first place.  What you can expect is for it to take a bit more time to progress but worth it.  She will recover faster with you paying attention to her and will end up strong for the experience.

you are quite correct, it's a betrayal of the soul, even your past changes, it is not what you thought it was - you seem to be to be very understanding and I wish you both all the luck in the world.

June 16, 2016 2:56 pm  #6

I know that for me, the biggest thing I was looking for after my gay marriage broke up was authenticity.  I wanted a man to say what he meant, mean what he says, and do what he said he'd do.  Don't make promises you can't keep. Once I knew what it looked like to be pursued and cherished and protected, I could never settle for less ever again.  That meant that he took the lead on many things - he didn't just sit around waiting on me - he let me know every day how much he wanted to be with me by both his words and his actions.  He told me how beautiful I am to him.  He said hello every morning first.  He asked me out week in advance - implying that I'm a rare commodity that he's willing to do what it takes to get. He opened doors and dropped me off and then parked. All of this made me feel something that my previous marriage hadn't; cherished.

You only have to be you, and make her feel good about who she is. You won't impress with wealth or possessions or expensive meals. You will impress by making her feel wonderful about herself. By trying to make her life better and easier and enjoyable.

Let her talk about her feelings when she needs to.  Try to just let her vent - this is how women work through their feelings - by talking.  You can't fix any of the past.  Just tell her that you're sorry she's gone through that. Tell her she didn't deserve that. Kiss her forehead like you would a wounded child during these times.

Know that there will always be some scars, athough in the best of circumstances, you will help heal a lot of them. Being loved, cherished, protected and desired is the balm for not having had those things before. But the slighest rejection may just take her right back to those old feelings.  If you need to not have sex for a reason, give her the reason. "I am so tired tonight, but I promise that tomorrow we'll I'll be better rested". And then start of the next day by telling her that you can't wait for tonight.

Go slowly, but make sure there is no mistake about her knowing how you feel about her. She came from a wasteland - she will always now want the "You Are Here" map in front of her, even if she doesn't know yet where she wants to go.

Best to you -

Kel

June 16, 2016 3:23 pm  #7

Even if you are not gay if she is like me she will be skittish if you do or say ANYTHING like her ex and his friends. I was afraid to trust and surely didn't have a clue about what straight guys are like so I watched and weighed everything. My ex was intellectual so that was suspect. He was particular about his appearance so well-groomed was under the microscope. And when I met a man who knew the names of plants and had planted them - Yikes!

These were all things that I enjoyed but I thought I needed to find a total opposite - someone with whom I would have little or nothing in common except we both were sexually attracted to the opposite gender. As I learned to rediscover and love myself I became less obsessed. I must have been awful to be with then: I felt I had to control everything because my world had been up-ended. 

I don't know how far along the recovery process the woman you are dating is but the best thing that you can do is be patient. Trust comes slowly and little gestures of caring mean a lot.

June 16, 2016 10:56 pm  #8

Thank you all for responding, I read all of the posts and will take the suggestions to heart.  This has helped me to understand where she may be coming from and why some things are a bit different from my previous relationship.

Thanks again all.

June 20, 2016 10:49 pm  #9

Rob - I just want to give a great big THANK YOU to you for what you said about all of the ladies here.  That was very, very nice and complimentary, and I even got a little emotional.

Board footera