OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 29, 2016 2:57 pm  #1

What a world

As a lesbian in a heterosexual marriage, it's definitely a challenge. Every day. But my husband is amazing. He is supportive and without a doubt my best friend. I never had to "come out" to him. We understand one another on a level that doesn't even require words. I know who I am and what I want from life and a huge part of that is having him by my side through it all. Love is love. And I want more than anything for my children to understand that gender and sexual orientation are just labels and they don't define you as a person and they don't dictate who you love b

August 29, 2016 3:31 pm  #2

Re: What a world

Freya, did your H know your were a Lesbian while you were dating and/or prior to getting married?  

"No matter how hard the journey may be, remember to be kind to yourself..."

August 29, 2016 8:15 pm  #3

Re: What a world

So,.... what's all that mean? Do you satisfy your lesbian urges outside the marriage? If so, have you and your husband discussed this and he given you his blessing?  And is he free to do the same?

I don't think the world needs labels, per se. But I do think we need honest, open communication about what to expect in the way of monomogy and desire within our relationships.  And I don't think that it's your spouse's obligation to assist you through "finding yourself" or "exploring your sexuality" when that's code for "cheating on you".  The vows of marriage include "forsaking all others". Your partner doesn't owe you their loyalty in assisting you with breaking that vow.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

Board footera