OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 27, 2016 8:40 pm  #1

Straight Spouse Face to Face Get Togethers

I just read Sam's story that he posted as the first of the "stories" section.  I was interested in how he said he had been to all sorts of in person gatherings of straight spouses, and I think he said that some of them were in various places around the country.  I also remember reading a good couple of years or more ago, about something like a "straight spouse convention"  that is held annually?  It was in an online article I read about straight spouses and the gay thing.

Does anyone know if there are gatherings all over the country of straight spouses much less anything like an annual convention?  I do have an SSN group in my area that I signed up for, but have yet to meet up with, largely due to limited time, but I am curious about any and all opportunities that might exist to meet in person with other straight spouses.

I would appreciate hearing about any sort of face to face meeting opportunities that anyone knows about.

August 27, 2016 9:50 pm  #2

Re: Straight Spouse Face to Face Get Togethers

They are normally only publicized in the private groups. This is to prevent ...unwelcome... guests. There are several throughout the year. To find out more you need to be a member of a private group.

August 28, 2016 12:47 am  #3

Thanks, Sam.  Maybe I should look into the private groups.  I have pretty much just relied on this forum for help and info.  Looks like it might be time to branch out a bit.

August 28, 2016 7:52 am  #4

Hi All. Just wondered if anyone on here is from the UK?  I'm not sure if there are groups here but would love to be able to talk and share with people facevto face.

August 28, 2016 10:35 am  #5

I would like to know about these "Private Groups" thing as well. I have contacted my local SSN liaison that was sent to me after registering here. That was 8 weeks ago & I still have not heard back.I'm Canadian. Tell me I'm not the sole STR8S in this glorious country.

August 28, 2016 11:00 am  #6

There are a number of people from the UK and Canada that post here, hopefully you will hear from them. Whatasham, I would suggest you write SSN again and let them know you have not heard from the contact they sent you. That person may have gone inactive and there may be a new contact. As far as I know there are contacts in all provinces. You are not the only Canadian str8.

August 28, 2016 11:22 am  #7

Thank you Sam, I will do that & perhaps offer to step in if there isn't one in my city. I know from going to events with my x & seeing the turn out, I am definitely not alone ;)

August 28, 2016 3:01 pm  #8

whatasham - there is a Toronto group. Not sure what part of Canada you are in.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

August 28, 2016 5:34 pm  #9

Not from "Torana" anymore Daryl, but thanks!! 

September 7, 2016 1:00 pm  #10

I'm in Calgary, a few here

Board footera