OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 13, 2018 3:17 pm  #1

Needing a referral

Hi all! I have tried to contact several lawyers (via email) and after explaining my situation, I almost felt as if I was blown off. A couple even said when they get $ up front, then they will discuss. So, I basically shut down and decided to forget about the situation. I know things are not going to change. If anyone lives in the Central Florida area and can suggest an attorney or two I would greatly appreciate it. 

“And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain, when you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.” ~ Haruki Murakami ~

December 13, 2018 3:23 pm  #2

Re: Needing a referral

Sorry I'm not in that area.
If the lawyer will not give you a free consultation then you do no want them.    Sadly I think you need to see them in person rather than email....tell them your story but try to keep a level head and pick their brain for information.    I will say even the most empathetic lawyer will make a bad therapist as they bill so much per hour. 

Yes, I had a couple that were very cold and dismissive.   Dont give up. 

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

December 13, 2018 3:36 pm  #3

I put out a feeler for you through a SSN contact.   The SSN itself doesn't make referrals, but our members and friends can absolutely do that.  So I'm hoping this person I reached out to can help. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

December 13, 2018 4:01 pm  #4

Here is a place you may wish to contact:

https://www.floridabar.org/public/lrs/

The letters "lrs" stand for "Lawyer Referral Service".

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

December 14, 2018 2:18 pm  #5

Roo I sent you a PM

Life is like phases of the moon.... We really only see it when it's beautiful, full and in our face. 

Board footera