OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 6, 2018 6:51 pm  #1

Separation/divorce - Emotional

I originally included this as part of the logistical post but was afraid no one would read it all. It seemed like it made sense to spin these out into their own thread. Here's part two: the harder questions...

Quick background if you haven't seen the other post:

My wife came out as bisexual in August 2017. We thought we might be able to do the whole mixed orientation thing, but it turns out she just really wants to be with women, and I'm not down with the open marriage concept. So it looks like it's over. We (she) came to this conclusion a few weeks ago, after a 3-month trial separation that happened after I found out she was having an affair. Now I'm trying to figure out where we go next.

We can't afford our house plus another household, but we probably won't be ready to sell for at least another 6 months. We're picking up an extra bed this weekend, which I think will help, but staying in the house together will really make it difficult for me to decouple and move on. I'm still in love with her and am struggling with the thought of losing her and everything we've built together.

Here are some additional questions I was hoping some of you might be able to help me figure out:

6. Can we remain friends?
I love my wife. She's my best friend. Unlike a lot of the stories I've read on here, she’s been pretty open and honest with me (except for the cheating thing...which is not insignificant.) She's still the first person I want to tell when I have good news. She's still the person I want to lean on when I need support. (Which has been REALLY hard lately because she can't support me through this.)  We're linked for life through the kids, and she's made lots of comments about how we get to make our own rules about our relationship post-divorce. Part of me doesn't want to lose that friendship and the amazing family dynamic we have together, but part of me feels like that will make it that much harder for me to move on. And I don't want to watch her fall in love with someone else. And it kind of doesn't feel fair that she gets to keep me as part of her life after all she's done to me. (While I do still love her, there have been lies and cheating and she's basically blowing up my life...so there's that.)

7. Can someone please remind me this wasn't my fault? It helps to keep hearing that.
I know this is a common refrain here on SSN. The straight spouses blame themselves for not knowing. For feeling like they should've done things differently. For feeling like they should’ve tried harder. But in most cases none of these things are true. For me, though, it feels more complicated. My wife didn't really know she was bi until 10 years into our marriage. And she immediately came to me about it. She didn't cheat on me at first (that came later). And we uncovered some issues with our relationship through couples counseling that I think are at the root of her longing for female companionship. In our own ways, we’re both emotionally handicapped from our upbringings and so a deep emotional connection has never been part of our dynamic. For most of our time together that’s worked. But now she’s feeling like she needs that in her life, and I feel like she didn't give us enough time to work on it together. But the bottom line is she doesn't think she can get that from a man. So while I may have failed at providing this to her, maybe her expectations are too high. Maybe she's looking for something that doesn't exist. At least not between a man and a woman. Who knows? I'm rambling now and I've already written more than anyone would ever be interested in reading.

Thank you all for being here and taking the time to share your stories.

Last edited by DaveRG (December 6, 2018 7:44 pm)

December 6, 2018 7:34 pm  #2

Re: Separation/divorce - Emotional

I'll be the first one to jump in to tell you that this is not your fault.  You need not take yourself to task for not trying hard enough or for not being what she needs.  Your actions or lack of them are not what made your wife's bisexuality/gayness come to the fore.  Nor are your actions responsible for her cheating on you, either.  That's on her.  Her discovering she's bi or gay does not give her the green light to cheat.  She cheated on you because she convinced herself that it was ok to cheat on you.  But the honorable thing to do was not to go behind your back but to initiate a separation or a divorce before she undertook a relationship with someone else.
   Finally, and this will be hard to hear, but your future does not lie with your wife, and you need to start emotionally detaching from her.  

December 6, 2018 8:02 pm  #3

You might be able to develop a friendship at some point but I think it would be only after both of you have moved on, gotten past any hurt and restarted your lives. Right now you need to become your best friend, coach and cheer-leader. Often it is the straight spouse who has the harder time moving on. Being there to witness your spouse leap head first into her exiting new life will be difficult and might even hold you back from yours. Then there is the temptation to compare the speed of your journey to hers, but it's not really a race. You don't want to be down on yourself because you don't seem to be keeping up in comparison.

Be well and post often.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

December 7, 2018 10:09 am  #4

Just wanted to post a quick thank you to those who have responded. Always great to know there are others who can relate and have experience with this sort of thing. I’ll write some more thoughtful responses when I have time.

-Dave

December 7, 2018 10:23 am  #5

Dave, 

Two more great questions.  I'll answer as well as I can and as you can see, the other members here will offer their own amazing advice. 

Can you be friends.   Yes - but don't make that a priority over your own healing.  
The truth is - every couple is different and every divorce is different.  Some couples are supportive of each other throughout and can part ways on good terms and remain friendly and good co-parents.  This is the goal as it makes things easier for everyone (especially your kids).   But it doesn't always work out like this.  In most of our cases our spouse was very dishonest, controlling/narcissistic, cheater on us, lied to us, used us.  Coming to terms with these transgressions typically leaves us bitter and angry.  The funny thing is, many times the lgbt spouse leaves angry and bitter as well.  Of they feel such incredible guilt that they have to project blame on us to justify their actions and help them sleep at night.  They often expect us serve up their future on a silver platter (have their cake and eat it too).  

If you can stay on good terms that is best.  I wish you good luck in this.  But PLEASE prepare for things to go south quickly.  Expect the worst and prepare for it. 

It's absolutely positively not your fault.  Don't ever forget it!

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

December 7, 2018 3:34 pm  #6

Dave,

I'm sorry you find yourself here. It's not a fun place to be at all. For what it's worth, here are my answers to your questions.

6. Can we remain friends?
I'd really love to think the answer is yes, of course. I think it is SO much easier on the kids if Mom and Dad are not only amicable but friendly. My parents divorced and until my Dad got remarried, my mother invited him for holidays every year. It really helped. Now, their situation was different, no cheating, no hidden homosexuality, etc but they worked hard to remember that they were each human, and as such, had human faults and frailties. I'm trying very hard to remind myself that my husband did not to this to me out of spite or hatefulness. He was lost himself and thought marrying a woman was the answer. I don't think he ever envisioned the pain it would cause me. I'm not sure if you feel the same way about your wife, but I find it helps a lot to keep reminding myself of that. 

7. Can someone please remind me this wasn't my fault? It helps to keep hearing that.
I'm certain it is NOT your fault. I struggle with this as well. "How could I not have known?? But, although I can find memories of times my husband didn't seem very into having sex with me, I can think of just as many when he initiated, seemed totally turned on and very into it. I can say the very same about an old boyfriend that I know is not gay at all. So how would I have known??? I would imagine it's even easier for a woman to hide when she's not as into it as she could be...as a straight woman I know I've hidden that at times. So I'll say it again...IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT!!!!!! 

*hugs*  

Last edited by jkc1214 (December 7, 2018 3:36 pm)

December 7, 2018 9:07 pm  #7

< deleted >

Last edited by Estella Oculus (May 1, 2019 10:16 am)

December 10, 2018 10:44 am  #8

Remaining together is probably desired by most of us initially, we were blindsided by this in most cases. I certainly have the feeling of not wanting to lose the person that I have built a great life with. I really want to remain friends. There are no questions of infidelity. We work together and have spent almost all of our time together for the last 12 years. Seeing each other and talking about whatever seems natural and really hasn't changed, I do not want it to change either. I know that having some separation will help me to heal and see things more clearly, I could never hate her. I will be transferring to a different location with the same company, seems like a small first step, but a necessary one from what I read on the forum. Remaining friends if at all possible would be more desirable in these situations. I believe, for me anyway that it is easier to not lose all of this part of your identity and it is also much easier if there are children involved.

As for not being you fault, I struggle with this every day. My situation may be unique in that my wife had a 6-7 month relationship with a woman right before we met. It came after a bad breakup with her boyfriend of 10 yrs from high school. The woman was her boss and offered comfort to her, she was confused and took the comfort to ease her pain. The woman got tired of her and dumped her, saying my wife was not really into the relationship. She gave no indication of interest in women when we met, we talked about it openly before we even dated. She said that some of these feelings started to return about 18 months to 2 yrs ago. I keep racking my brain thinking what did I do then to deserve this, to drive her away from me an dour family. I can think of nothing, but there must be something. Our relationship was still loving and passionate at that time. I still fantasize although it has only been a week for me, that she will find her way back to me, just kike the first time. I still love her very much and am constantly looking for clues to what happened to cause this. 

December 10, 2018 2:27 pm  #9

Zoso, you are right, you could never hate her, not in a romantic way.

It's a whole different raft of feelings we get as our gay 'best friend' partners step out of the marriage - specific feelings to specific situations.  I read once that our feelings don't lie, they can be a better indicator of what is around us than our thoughts.  

Our childhood traumas make us vulnerable.  For me it was oh, I'm feeling anxious because of my difficult father.  No.  Just no.  Your feelings, your gut instinct feelings are about what is happening now, in the present.  That is why so many of us report an immediate improvement when we leave.

many many people have said sexual attraction is magnetic - we are attracted by one side and repulsed by the other -  'animal magnetism' is a common term that's been around for a long time.

From what I am seeing it looks like there are quite a lot of people, usually identifying as bisexual, whose early dating pattern is to go from one sex to the other.  This tends to sort itself out as they mature.  I have a friend who was like this and one day, when he was in the middle of saying it didn't matter what sex they were it was the person that he loved, I said to him so who do you fantasise about when you are masturbating, oh Brad Pitt of course, he replied.  

DaveRG - of course you're not at fault!

December 10, 2018 6:40 pm  #10

Dave, my friend

First off this is not your fault... Please believe that!  I have walked in your shoes and understand what you are going through.  It is pure hell to give yourself to someone forever and find out forever is over now.  It is tough but you will get thru this.  I found out my ex-wife cheating on me with another woman, confronted her about it and she was gone... not my decision, in fact I made very few decisions back then (end of 2016)  It was right before my 40th birthday.  My best advice is seek out people to talk to.  If you can afford therapy for yourself I would highly recommend it. As much as you can focus on you.  It's time to take care of you.  Be well keep posting.  

Board footera