OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 26, 2016 1:40 am  #1

I need to tell my story...

Hello. I just found  this network. I wish I would have known about it in May of 2013. That is when life, as I knew it, ended.

I feel like I need to tell my whole story here to other people who may understand and offer some real advice. I have talked to Family, friends, counselors, all of which did not help. Everyone said it would get easier, but it has not. People keep telling me I should be over it by now, but I am far from it. I'm sorry if this is too long.

On May 25th, 2013, I found proof that my Wife had cheated on me with a woman. I had suspected it for a while, but she just would not admit it.

We met on a dating website in April of 2007 and hit it off immediately.  I was always very insecure, had low self esteem, problems with my weight and social anxiety. She was the first girl I had ever dated. We were pretty much inseparable from the day we met. She seemed to like me for who I was. I felt so comfortable with her. We had so much in common. We got married in September of 2009. We had our problems, like every couple, but we always worked through it. She would constantly tell me how wonderful I was and how lucky she was to have me in her life. She made me feel like a man for the first time in my life. My Wife gave me a purpose, reason to live, courage to do things I had never done before.

I'm not sure when it was in our relationship, but she mentioned having some "innocent" sexual experiences with other girls during college. She assured me that it was normal and that "every girl does that". I felt a bit uneasy with it, but brushed it off. After all, she had been in many relationships with men, and even engaged before she met me. I had no reason think she might be gay. We had an active sex life, so that was not a problem.

Fast forward to Spring of 2013. She had a new female friend she had met at work. They had become very close very fast. I felt it was a bit strange, and so did her parents. We even joked about them being in a relationship and this woman trying to "turn her gay" I realize that is not a thing. At one point, she told me she was going out of town with this woman on a business trip. She again assured me they were just friends. Having suspicions, I checked through her bag of clothing she was taking with her. I found lingerie, high heels, etc. I wanted to confront her about it, but knew she would be angry about me checking up on her. 

When she returned from her trip, I asked her if there was anything she wanted to tell me. She said no, that nothing happened. I wanted to believe her, but I just didn't. A while later, I caught her looking through photos on her tablet. The photos were of her in lingerie. I asked her why she had them and who they were for. She lied and said they were old pictures. I could tell they were recent.

A little side note. All through this, she had been confiding in friends and co workers about what she was doing. Instead of coming to me and telling me her feelings, she would sneak off and have conversations on her phone. She would talk to this woman outside so I could not hear her. I definitely knew something was up.

May 25th, I was home from work and decided to see if I could find anything online. I managed to find a folder of documents transferred from her device on the cloud. I'm not very computer savvy, so I'm not sure how that works. Anyway, there were poems about this woman she was seeing. They were explicit and pretty much said they had had sex. I immediately printed the documents for proof, then texted her. I told her we seriously needed to talk. She came home from work because there was no denying it anymore. We had a big blowout. I told her to call her mother and tell her, which I now regret.  It was bad. I moved out soon after. Out of the blue one day, she asked me to come back because she missed me. She said she realized she wanted to be with me. I went back but it only lasted a little while before she realized she wanted to be with women. That was very hard to take, basically being dumped a second time. I thought we were going to work things out and get back to our life together.

She said she had those feelings, but never realized what they were. She seemed to have a strange obsession with women, but I thought she was just weird. At 32 years old, she met someone who made her realize what she was.

The woman she cheated on me with pretty much used her for a one night stand, lied to her and dumped her. She was more upset about that than about losing me. That's what hurt the most. 

When we split up for the second time, we both agreed that we would be civil and have a simple divorce. That did go smoothly, thankfully. Also, we had no children, which made it easier. We both said we were in no hurry to be in another relationship soon. She said she was done with other people. She also said she would never live with anyone again.  By July of that year, she had a girlfriend who she had moved into her house. From rumors I have heard, they may be married by now. She texted me on my Birthday last week to tell me she is moving. I have been thinking of her a lot and it is so difficult.

When I lost her, I lost everything. Ever since we split up, there has been nothing but stories about gays on the news. It makes if difficult because I am constantly reminded of everything. I feel replaced, thrown out like trash. I know it's not my fault or hers, but I just don't know how to feel or what to do.

Again, sorry this is a very long post.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by PittGuy76 (August 26, 2016 1:49 am)

August 26, 2016 5:32 am  #2

Re: I need to tell my story...

PitGuy76....I am sorry you went through all you did but pleased you found us here on this site.  It will help you to see the patterns of behavior we have all put up with.  If I may offer some simple advice and suggest seeing a good counselor to work through your problems of low self esteem and insecurity which you mentioned in your post.  You will see from many posts, that we all have many of the wonderful characteristics that you shared with being strong and forgiving, trying to make a futile relationship work but for who's benefit?  I have told my story here in several posts and have been trying to channel all this hurt and betrayal into positive energy to help myself become a strong and effective person and to avoid falling into a similar pattern.  I am putting all my effort into moving from that "victim" and into a "butterfly"....see how wonderful life can be after we get our wings back and live the happiness we all deserve and not the toxic place we've unfortunately all experienced.  I am seeing a counselor today to work on all the emotions this horrible experience has brought us.  I wish you a peaceful place and hope you will continue your posts here to even just vent and help you face what needs to be done.  Hugs..

August 26, 2016 6:54 am  #3

Pittyguy,

Cheer up.  With no kids I see little reason you need to talk to her.  I mean you could talk to her all you want but all you will get us hurt.. 
My lezex did pretty much the same thing...went away overnight with a friend and then that was it...never came near me again (thank god). 

I don't have good self esteem either but I do have basic human dignity ..which was trampled and abused by her.

Be kind to yourself, get a therapist..  move forward without constant abuse and hurt.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 26, 2016 6:58 am  #4

Hi PittGuy76,
I'm glad you have found your way here, you'll find here, you'll find lots of support. We know the feelings well. You said something that gave me pause, "when I lost her, I lost everything." I know it feels that way, but I want to assure you that that isn't true, I can tell by your words you are a loving and giving person who gave their all. She hurt you terribly, and it's a matter of rebuilding and redesigning your life going forward. That means different things for different people. I agree with retired and lost, working on your low self esteem would probably be helpful, and sometimes it takes more than one therapist to find the right match for you. For me, I have found the face to face support groups through sr8 spouse have been a lifesaver. If you call or email them , they can put you in touch with that. When we all got married, we took our vows seriously, ( I was married for over 30 years) and it's soul crushing to discover things our spouses were capable of. Are there things you enjoy doing that you can get involved with out if the house, volunteer work? It's really just a series of baby steps, until you realize that your days are no longer consumed  with thinking, missing or anger directed towards them. When you hardly think of them at all you realize you're going to be ok.
Keep posting, we get it.

August 26, 2016 7:43 am  #5

Pittguy, 

You are not alone.  I'm glad you are here.  We can help each other through this. 

You may think you are the only person in the world who has gone through this.. but here.. you are one of many.  Your story is so much like mine that it's scary.  I know EXACTLY how you feel.. Though I'm only 2 months into the pain of finding out.  I also have kids and had 16 years of marriage before I learned it was a fraud.  However, the point is.. you are not alone.  We can share the pain. 

You said this in your post, but I want to make sure you really believe it..  It is not your fault!  Repeat after me..  "It's not my fault".  Keep saying it until you believe it 100%.   She lived the lie and she has fault, but not you. 

I've used the "thrown out like the trash" metaphor so many times.  I feel the exact same way.  

Keep talking.. keep sharing..   Tell us more about your emotions and instabilities so we can help you get through them.  You need to get over her and move on and be happy.   Don't try to run from your emotions or avoid the healing process.  Face it head on, get help and support so that you can heal and be healthy and ready to find a new woman to share your life with.   I keep hearing people say it will get better.  I'm confident that they are right. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

August 26, 2016 9:06 am  #6

Welcome PittGuy76,

So glad that you finally found us.  Thank you for sharing your story.

When I found out that my XH was GID, my counselor told me that while it takes a long while to get over a divorce, it may take double that time to get over finding out that a Spouse is gay.  I don't think 3 years out for you is too long to still be experiencing the pain. Some here are able to rip off the band-aid and move through the process more quickly.  Others take years to finally acknowledge enough is enough and move on.  Whatever the approach, you will find understanding and advice here from people who have been where you are, tough love, and sometimes some much needed laughs. 

I hope that you can begin to embrace taking care of yourself.  Consider being kind to yourself by: going no contact w/ your X; eliminating any triggering media and perhaps going only positive media and social input for now; starting a new hobby, exercise plan, counselor, or volunteering.  Again, some here jump into establishing new habits and others take it one baby step at a time.  While they may seem silly any one of these things can be a start in the right direction (eliminating negative input from family, friends, news, books, etc. had a huge positive impact on my life when I was going through the early throws of discovery).

Good luck, keep reading and posting.  You are not alone.

"No matter how hard the journey may be, remember to be kind to yourself..."

August 26, 2016 9:43 am  #7

Thank you all so much for taking the time to read and reply. It is nice to finally meet people who understand what I have been through! I have so much more I want to share and ask. I also would like to get to a place were I can start helping others to deal with their own situations. It really helps to just get everything out there in words. I have never really sat down and thought everything out and put it out there.

I do realize I am lucky that my relationship was only a short one. Finding out sooner than later is a good thing, I guess. I can't imagine what it must be like for those of you who were together for 15+ years of marriage. And I'm sure it is very complicated with children involved. Right before this happened to me, My Aunt found out her Husband of 40 years had been cheating on her (with a woman). They had been together since they were 16, and have two adult children. I saw the devastation she went through. My XW was saying how terrible my Uncle was, and how she would never do that to me. Only a couple months later, I was going through it.

I have tried the zero contact / out of site, out of mind approach. It is difficult since we live only a couple minutes from each other in the same small town. We know a lot of mutual people. I worked in a store where she and her girlfriend would come in. I had to quit my job over that. Well, I didn't  HAVE to but it was hard to keep seeing her. I would be a wreck for days after seeing them together. We still have a few material possessions of each other's also. She wants to meet so she can give me a box of stuff and I am terrified to see her. I have no idea how I might feel. I have not seen her in almost a year.

She has always been the one to maintain contact with me. She says she wishes we could be friends and I could be in her life in some way. I know there is no way that could happen. Seeing her with someone else is still too difficult. I don't think she quite gets what she has done to me. I didn't fall out of love with her, she fell out of love with me. I have told her you can't just turn off true feelings overnight.

The conflict I have is not knowing what to feel for her. Anger, frustration, understanding, loss. I still love her as the woman I thought I knew, but I don't know if it was real. I want to believe she truly did not know she was a lesbian when we met and married, but how could she not know? I don't want to have hatred for the entire LGBT community, but it is difficult. Maybe I am still partly in denial that she is an actual lesbian, and not just going through one of her many phases or obsessions. Without sharing too much personal info, she does have other issues and history of mental health problems. The bottom line is not knowing for sure if she just used me, or truly loved me. She says she loved me and I want to believe that.

I know it was not my fault. That is both comforting and hurtful at the same time. To know everything I did for her and to try to keep us together was pointless. I feel like she has won in this. She has someone else, her own house, good job, has lost weight and is happy. I did everything right, and I'm the one suffering? Not trying to be a victim, that's just how I feel. Her ex friends have all told me I am better off without her and that she always had a reputation for being a little nuts. I wish they would have told me that before lol.

Oh well, I could go on all day but I don't want to take up too much space. Thank you all again. This is a huge help already.

Last edited by PittGuy76 (August 26, 2016 9:46 am)

August 26, 2016 10:01 am  #8

On of my biggest struggles in the beginning was trying to figure out whether any of my marriage was "real" or not., how long he actually knew, despite him claiming he "just found out" on and on. I was driving myself nuts. I think in the beginning that's a normal reaction to such a traumatic betrayal. But then I realized that I was never, ever going to have any answers that made sense, and it was keeping me from moving forward. But the number 1 , best thing ever, I did to help myself heal and move forward is to go 100& NO CONTACT! Our kids are older, so I was fortunate to be able to do that. That's when I felt like I was the person in control, not him, it was me! I blocked his number from my phone also. You don't need to see her to get your box, you decide another way, so she can keep it. If it's causing you anxiety just thinking about it, then don't do it, cause you don't have to do! It's very empowering, trust me. And instead of thinking she won, turn it around, look at it instead that you've been given a chance to reset and be free of her craziness. She treated you very poorly, and you don't need to be her friend. You get to choose, not her.

August 26, 2016 10:07 am  #9

Take up as much space as you want..  as much space as you can. 

I've found this to be incredible therapy.  It helps for me to type out my feelings.  It's like you let them go a little bit each time you say or type them out.  It helpful to not only express my own emotions, but also to read about others and find ways that I think I might be able to offer help and support to them.  We can all share the pain and it lessons for each of us as we share it. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

August 26, 2016 10:20 am  #10

Hello PittGuy - What I found most helpful was going no contact and this forum.  Family and friends do not always understand.  They might try and they might get some of it, but not necessarily, and not completely.  A number of people on this site did not find counselling helpful either.  Again, I suggest no contact and this forum for the most benefit.  Even with those things, you will need to take very small steps and give it lots and lots of time.

It is a very unique, painful, and long and rough road.  I wish you the best.

Board footera