OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 30, 2018 11:02 pm  #1

He’s confused, which makes me confused

Recently my husband told me that he is confused after we were arguing because he is depressed and I feel that are lives are going exactly the way we want with our careers and life path etc. When I asked what he meant, he said it again, and said that he couldn’t live with himself if he is what people have teased him about growing up. I asked him what he meant and he said he is confused because he has the desire to kiss and cuddle with another man but not to have sex. He also said he has hung out with guys who he felt he could be more than friends with but not to the point of sex. I told him that doesn’t make sense to me because when we cuddle and kiss it often leads to sex etc. he said that he would off himself before he had sex with a man.  He said that he loves women and that he may be bi sexual but that he is not gay.

I just don’t understand how he can have the desire to be intimate with a man but not want to engage in sex? Sounds to me like he’s in denial and struggles with a lot of self hate about having these urges. Now that i think about it, there were some odd stuff that suggested to me that he wasn’t all the way straight. Before we got married he told me he was gay on the phone then hung up. I had to call him for over an hour before he finally answered again and told me he was joking. I was a teenager then and may have believed him too easily. I am struggling with knowing if he is really truly attracted to me. We have a good sex life, have a 3 year old, and are trying for another baby. I don’t doubt that he loves me, but I continue to doubt whether he is truly attracted to me after learning of his struggle with sexuality. but how could he not be in to womenwith as much sex as we have? I want to talk about it with him but he gets upset because he doesn’t want to acknowledge it. Anyone in a relationship with a bisexual man and everything worked out? Also thoughts on him wanting to be intimate with a man but thinking sex with a man is disgusting???

August 31, 2018 2:32 am  #2

Re: He’s confused, which makes me confused

Hi - thing I think makes them not want to have sex with men despite having the attraction is when they are the 'bottom' or submissive one.

good luck with everything, all the best, Lily

August 31, 2018 8:13 am  #3

He sounds like a gay man.  He has given you proof already.   No straight man would ever say "I'm gay" as a joke and then hang up the phone and not answer for an hour.  He told you "he is what people have teased him about growing up", which means he is gay and he doesn't want to be because people have teased him about it.   The line about wanting to cuddle and not wanting sex is self-denial.  He does want sex, but he can't allow himself to admit that to you or even himself yet.  
It's not abnormal that you have  a decent sex life right now.  Many of the women who go married to gay men at a young age report that they have good sex lives early.  That's because sex is still new and exciting and even though he's more attracted to men, having sex with a woman is "acceptable" and still enjoyable.  For most, this changes in time.  As youth wears away the man gets tired of hetero sex and his desire for another man grows.   So your question about him wanting intimacy but not sex makes sense to me. 

Whether or not it can work out depends on the two of you.  Is he truly Bisexual and is that permanent or is it a transition phase where he begins to accept who he really is.  Is he willing to be honest with himself and then be honest and transparent with you?  Is he willing to remain monogamous or does he need another party?  Are you ok with that idea or do you require him to be faithful?    

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

August 31, 2018 6:03 pm  #4

I would not be trying for another child with this man.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" - Sir Walter Scott

August 31, 2018 7:01 pm  #5

Lake breeze, he’s a good father, a good husband, and he works hard to provide  for his family. I have no issue having another baby with him. In fact, I have no desire to divorce him if he’s bisexual because I believe we can continue to have a good marriage. Even if down the road he decides he is gay, that still won’t make him a bad person or a bad dad. I want another baby and so does he, I’m not going to take that away from us or our daughter.

August 31, 2018 7:42 pm  #6

Seahawks, 
 I hope you will read around here in the forum, because if you do you will begin to see a pattern of men who claim they are bisexual because they can't bring themselves to admit they are gay and have married women in attempts to prove they aren't.  You will also see a pattern of spouses who make assertions like yours, particularly early on, when they are in shock and determined to rescue their marriages.  
  Maybe what you say about your husband is right, but you also ought to entertain the vision of what might happen if/when he falls head over heels in love with a man, wishes to leave you and the children, and drifts farther and farther away.  I suggest you do a thorough read of Sean's thread.

Board footera