OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 18, 2016 8:02 pm  #1

Moving on - when is it truly over?

For all of you that divorced or are permanently removed from your situation, how long did it take to truly let go of everything? And what is your definition of completely moved on? Do you still look back bitterly, or not at all? And what helped the most in your healing process?

I'm just curious to hear about your experiences, and what I have to look forward too. Thanks!

Last edited by selfrenewal (August 18, 2016 8:07 pm)

August 18, 2016 8:45 pm  #2

Re: Moving on - when is it truly over?

just checking to get notifications, as I'd like to know as well....great topic/thread!!!! I myself am in the "wavering between trust & sorrow / zero trust & ready to move on" stage. AKA, flip flop stage. So confusing & bloody draining.

August 19, 2016 9:07 am  #3

The short answer is that it will be different for everyone.  But I do know one thing for sure, the sooner you move away from it, the sooner you will get over it.  Someone on here recently posted something like: do new things, try a new restaurant, new way to work, new store, rearrange furniture....whatever, just something that isn't related to the both of you together.  It may sound simple but it's little steps like this that lead us away from the past and into the future.

For me, it was a somewhat different experience.  I never had one smoking gun like a craig's list account or seeing he had hooked up with men.  I had so many D days of finding circumstantial BS followed by trying to forgive and then another D day 6 months or 3 months or a year later that by the time I was ready to file I just didn't have an ounce of love left in me for him.  By that time I had completely lost any respect or trust for him and my only beef was with having to move from my home while he got to stay and enjoy it.  But I'd say it took a good three years for it to sink in that I needed to give up and walk out.  Had I walked out sooner, I know I would have gotten over it before three years.  Staying in the situation just started to perpetuate it into infinity.  until I put a stop to the whole BS train. 

Change your surroundings, the things you do, the places you go, and you'll change your life.  It doesn't have to be all of it right away.  Little steps, little things. 

August 19, 2016 9:36 am  #4

It's different for everyone.  And I think it has more to do with how in love you still were with them when the world came crashing down, and how comfortable you are with embracing massive change.  If you aren't sure if you're going to be able to complete a race, it becomes questionable about when to have hope and when to give up.  But when you've complete the same race countless times before, you begin to know that the pain and the fatigue of running WILL be overcome and you WILL be able to make it.  It's the endless race that gets to us.  When you know there is an end and you'll make it, that makes all the difference.

There are things you can do to bring yourself to that place of knowing.  First, realizing that you a 100% success rate of making it through bad days.  Knowing that you WILL keep getting up every morning and appreciating the sunshine and deciding that life is worth it so long as you have breath in your lungs.  After that it's just a matter of slogging through until one day you realize the mud is not as thick anymore.  It's starting to get easier.

It also depends a lot on going as little contact as you can.  When you have someone in your life a little bit, they are still there - still reminding your heart of what you're missing.  But when you eliminate them, and begin to get used to the new life and embrace new things and enjoy what you have, then the old feelings start to die.  Part of us doesn't really want that to happen - especially if we are still holding out hope that one day things will change and they'll want us back.  But once you realize that's not going to happen, you begin to be able to move away from the thing that's bringing you pain rather than gravitating toward it.  You get smarter and stronger.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

August 19, 2016 10:16 am  #5

Moving on was a slow process for me and that may be due to that fact that I discovered TGT after divorce.  It was emotionally like going through the divorce process twice. I divorced for all the strange reasons and problems we talk about here, but just never knew the cause.  In some ways discovery of TGT released me from a lot of self-blame about the failure of the marriage, but it also made me reevaluate my entire adult life against the backdrop of the lie I was unknowingly living.

I can't remember the exact moment letting go occurred.  It occurred over time; a long long time. It was a process fueled by throwing myself into living my life and raising my kids as a single mom.  Once day I woke up and realized I was done.  It was over.  Others here have said:  Living a good life is the best revenge and that time heals all wounds.  I believe that is true.

Forgiveness seemed to be the last piece of the puzzle for me. For the first couple of years I felt sorry for my X and there was little anger involved...until I found out about TGT.  Then the anger came and at some point I knew I had to work on forgiveness.  And finding it has been very illusive for me.  First and foremost I realized that the first person I had to forgive was myself.  Forgiving was not about overlooking his actions, deceit, and cruelty, but rather forgiveness is allowing myself to move forward without using animosity to continue to fuel the rage.  I love the anger that comes with the steps of acceptance.  It moves us to get out of a bad situation when we feel like we are walking through wet concrete about to set.  But at some point it no longer serves that purpose and we must let go and begin to travel light.

"No matter how hard the journey may be, remember to be kind to yourself..."

August 19, 2016 3:39 pm  #6

The final straw was very recent for me, but I've dealt with finding evidence, leaving a few times, and also lived with my disease for a few years now. It seems for me that letting go has come in waves. No matter how crazy it is, I do still love him deeply and still have that urge to figure him out - I know this is wrong. Sometimes I accept things are over and I just have to work on the trauma caused, other times I'm stuck in a world of hurt and what-ifs. I'm assuming this is all the long process of completely moving on and the periods of acceptance will be longer and better, while the reminiscing/questioning will lessen. I also agree space and nc has been most helpful - it hurts greatly, but not worse than continuing to inflict pain.

Writing here has been extremely helpful to release my emotions. Sometimes I feel I write too much, but I'm trying to be helpful and honestly it's the best way I process things. Thanks again for listening!

August 19, 2016 6:03 pm  #7

Selfrenewal, never apologize (on here at least lol!) for posting, no matter how long the rant or plea for a hug it is. This forum & all the heartfelt, brutally honest, raw entries are what helps us all come out of the dreaded dark closet we were unwillingly thrown into & realize we are not alone, it's not our fault & that it will get better. I couldn't imagine going thru all of this without being able to hop on here & hear answers to my nagging questions, get a virtual hug, a kick in the ass or wicked on-point advice.

No one, not even my beloved sister or bestie can truly understand what this is like & what we need to hear. The right words at the right time really can be a life saver. For that, I am forever grateful to the founders of Str8Spouse & y'all here.

WendiT:you wrote:"when we feel like we are walking through wet concrete about to set.  But at some point it no longer serves that purpose and we must let go and begin to travel light."  That is a brilliant visual & so beautifully describes what it feels like to go thru this wretchedness! I look forward to the "light" part. I'm 5 years away apparentley :/ 

Bless you all & I hope everyone has a gentle weekend xxxxx

Last edited by whatasham24 (August 19, 2016 6:08 pm)

August 23, 2016 5:52 pm  #8

Does it really have to be over?  Have any of you considered acceptance and trying to work out some sort of open relationship with your gay husband/wife.  We love each other and part of me wants to run but part of me wants to work it out no matter how difficult.  Maybe this forum isn't for me.  There seems to be a lot of anger, resentment, and frankly gay and partner bashing in these threads.  Is there any one out there that is making an open MOM work?311

August 23, 2016 6:14 pm  #9

I don't know the statistics but I have heard that most attempts do not last much beyond a year. For what it's worth, I don't see what I would call gay bashing here. I do see anger at choices and actions made by specific people who are, or maybe gay or GID (or variant of LGBTQ). Back to your original question - relationships only work when both people's needs are met, they are happy, fulfilled, feel cherished and valued. They can implicitly trust and it is fully reciprocated. Nothing is hidden. Most here have not experienced this and the idea of a MOM gets floated out like a consolation prize. A MOM might work if it the relationship was understood to be this from the get-go but, from what I've read, it seems it always comes up as an accommodation by the straight partner. The gay/bi partner can go do what they want but I don't think I've ever heard from someone who, as the straight partner, also had the same freedom to explore relationships with other straight people. Anything is possible but examples are few and far between, at least with the folks here who have tried it.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

August 23, 2016 6:23 pm  #10

Joan, You're very right, this forum is for spouses that are quite pissed off. We either have been dooped out of an authentic life for sometimes DECADES by someone who professed to loving us. If you read some posts & look beyond the (justified) anger, you'll see all the reasons why we are hurt/gutted/angry/guilt ridden/ feel hopeless/abused....& on and on. You may be in a different mindset, based on the stage you're at in this str8t spouse/LGBT partnership. I too was where you're at. In fact I remember coming to sites such as this to see what other women were doing to cope with a CDH, but left because I was hoping to support my husband & still keep some sanity. I too thought these groups were full of unsupportive angry individuals. So I hopped on over to Crossdressers.com and lurked there for 8 years. finding all kinds of "positive" feedback on how I could help my HUSBAND cope with his issues (of course there is nary a board or interest on those forums to support the spouse). But after my GIDCDH secretly & swiftly escalated to Transgender, well on his path towards hormone therapy, feminization facial surgery & spending 85% of his time devoted (secretly) to everything trans, trans friends, secret accounts etc., I naturally was no longer going to support that shit. The respect was NEVER reciprocated, at least not to the level GIDTG had favored. So yes, you are not there, not angry (yet) and don't understand perhaps where the anger comes from.

I wish you clarity & strength to deal with what is surely coming down the pipe for you. At the very least, bookmark this site. 

Sincerely,
Sham

PS. Not everyone bashes LGBT. I am a strong supporter in my city for LGBT rights. I take issue, like 90% of the people here, with being lied to about someone's sexuality & intentions.

Last edited by whatasham24 (August 23, 2016 6:26 pm)

Board footera