OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 16, 2018 7:12 pm  #1

Pushing to remain married..

I have been reading a lot on this forum as a guest for a while until I registered recently. I have also been discouraged with many stories and at the same time got some encouragement from a-few. However, I have summoned courage to post my story. I am a straight man in a marriage of over 16 years with a woman I love so much and we have 2 children. Little did I know that she was a lesbian all these years. We met in the university while I was studying for my degree program and our friendship ended up in marriage although she’s 9 months older than I, but I am more mature than her in every way. I always feel I am older. Going back the memory lane: I remember that after our marriage I was looking forward to having great sex with her but the drive to go to bed was always coming from me never from her. I kept on my regular lifestyle. My job makes me travel a lot and I put my energy and passion into my job and that kept me busy. I am a workaholic! As a decent man I kept myself in all my travels and always looking forward to return home to meet my family. Each time I returned back home, I try my best to give a helping hand to her and be around the kids to cover up the lost time together. I also make-up to them by travelling with the family to couple of places for vacation. Generally, I believe, I have been a good husband and father.
She’s into the business of different types of jewelries of bulk sales and when I see a couple of ladies in the house at weekdays or weekends, all my mind was that they were her jewelry distributors.  I did not know that she was always attracted to her same gender. Events unfolded and she explained to me that she was in the marriage right at the beginning to please her parent and have children and that she cannot continue to live another person’s life. She said so many things.. I was in shock for many days after this conversation. I was pissed, was very angry and upset. I was particularly disappointed that I have been living with me in deceit for many years. When I put on my cap of memories again: I recall many instances of her closeness to 2 particular ladies but I couldn’t relate it to anything of this nature. I was bitter for a long time especially looking back into the family bond we built for over 15 years and her dishonesty to me all these while. I was depressed and I think my frequent work travels did not help matters.
We have been alienated for over 18 months and it has impacted my health. I am taking care of myself with my medications though but the separation is impacting the children much more. My children well-being are my most priority and concern. I see a divorce looming from any party. I personally wana break the separation after many considerations, especially the children and my religious belief to remain in the Marriage. I have read a couple of stories and comments on this forum and other platforms too. One aspect that will be impacted for me is our intimacy. Sex. I need grace on a sexless marriage. I’m almost 45 and whether my libido will continue to nose dive is what I cannot tell as such and I don’t know how things will play out.
I am getting over the madness and healing up gradually. What I’m coming to term with is, to settle-in to accept who she is, try to live with it and be positive about the future. It is very tough when there is no hope of changing your partner. I’m pushing myself to remain in the Mixed-Orientation Marriage with the option of Open relationship but I’m not sure if I have other viable options to throw at her.
Any suggestion from anyone that I can also explore? I hope she deals with me with an honest and open heart. What I might struggle with and do not know how it will play out, is to see her bring her partner into the house. My utmost fear is how real is the success of a straight man remaining in marriage with a lesbian. I’m afraid that my fears will catch-up with me. Dunno how this will end up.

July 16, 2018 8:53 pm  #2

Re: Pushing to remain married..

Philly, I am by no means an expert on an open marriage but I have a feeling they will only work when both parties fully support the idea and actively seek out that "other" person. If you are not fully invested in the idea. I think it would be inevitable to not feel hurt or betrayed that first time your spouse spends the night with someone else.

There are a few other members here trying to stay in their marriage. Perhaps they have some more positive advice for you. Whatever path you choose, always take care of yourself and don't stop being the best Dad you can be.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

July 17, 2018 1:12 am  #3

Welcome Philly...

I have one piece of advice. Once you agree to, and get involved in...an open r'ship 
there is no way back. And if you change your mind further down the track all you will
have is regret that you agreed to it in the first place

KIA KAHA                       

July 17, 2018 5:13 am  #4

I have some questions for you:
   Do you think your wife, who entered fraudulently into marriage with you, knowing she was deceiving you but excusing herself by blaming her parents, and who has lived a double life for the entire life you were married, will now be able or willing to deal with you with "an honest and open heart"?
   You say you want to stay married because you are a Christian; is it consistent with the principles of your Christianity to engage in an Open marriage, with one or both of you having sex with other people?  Why are you, a self-described "decent man," so willing to compromise your morals?  
   How is it better for the children to live in a situation in which their parents are staying married as a matter of convenience, watching one or both of them form intimate relationships outside of the marriage, and seeing their father's health suffer from the betrayal and stress?

July 17, 2018 9:38 am  #5

Hi Philly, 

Welcome to our group.  I'm so glad you signed up and posted.  I hope we can help you through this immensely difficult time you are going through. 

I completely understand your desire to keep your marriage.  I felt the same at first until I was given no choice when she filed for divorce.  It's probably good that she did because I would have held onto my marriage for religious reasons and out of fear of the unknown.  Needless to say, I understand respect your commitment to your family and your marriage. 

We have a forum section devoted to maintaining MOM.  Please feel free to post in that area as well and gain some ideas for how to make things work.  It can work.  It's very difficult and requires honesty and communication and boundaries.. but it can work. 

Let us know how we can help.  

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

July 18, 2018 12:44 am  #6

Thank you all for your contribution and advise. All the points are noted..
Here is the thing: I have spent a lot of time thinking on how the hell did I find myself in this mess? I have been hurting and living in pains of disappointment to the extend that I am now nursing my health, reason I wana give it a different shot because I do not want a divorce at least not from my side (dunno if she will, down the line from her side.. not sure what she can be up to). Obviously, I do not want to compromise my morals as a religious person and this is a big moment of my life and real time of tests for me. I am so confused! I also want the best environment for my children as well.  I also do not want them exposed to too much of this impact. The open marriage is an option... reason I am looking for support, ideas and other options from those that might have the experience. I want to know how to make it work. 

July 18, 2018 7:41 am  #7

Philly, 

I would advise that you start another thread in the MOM section of our forum:    http://straightspouse.boardhost.com/viewforum.php?id=5
That area is built specifically for positive reinforcement and discussion of strategies for how to make a mixed orientation marriage work. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

July 18, 2018 4:15 pm  #8

Thanks Phoenix, I did that already... yesterday.

July 18, 2018 4:22 pm  #9

Cool!  Hopefully you find value in that area..   Let us know how we can continue to support you. 

July 18, 2018 4:41 pm  #10

Sure ... I'm glad to be here.. indeed the Mom threads gives me some encouragement and inspiration to focus at my target despite the alarming statistics. Thanks.

Board footera