OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 18, 2018 8:26 am  #1

Day 19

I am feeling so sad this morning.  My youngest daughter is going to spend the day with her dad~she told me how cool his place is and they have a pool table and cool swimming pool.  I know she is 16 and new is exciting, but it hurts so much.  She is even taking things out of her room here to take over to her dad's...I know she can't understand the pain and hurt, she is a child and she loves her dad.  Her selfish dad thought it would be a good idea to move 40 mins away and she told me last night "I feel bad to tell him but I don't want to drive that far all the time"  Of course, from my perspective it's just one more very selfish moves on his part.  Of course his dtr isn't going to want to drive and be 40 mins away from friends, school (one its back in session), work.  I just don't understand how, as a parent, you can make such decisions, giving no regarding to how your decision will impact you child.  Just don't get it.
Thankful Father's Day is over and I survived my first holiday alone.

June 18, 2018 9:25 am  #2

Re: Day 19

Jacki,
 It is in fact selfish on his part.  That's because that's who he is: someone out to serve himself first, no matter the cost to others.  No doubt he's got a fully rationalized and self serving explanation for it, too, and one that makes him seem noble, something along the lines of "I wanted to spare you, Jacki, the pain of our living in close proximity."  
  My suggestion to you is that you rationally and calmly point out to your daughter that her father made this decision, and that it isn't her place to feel bad.  He had a choice where he was going to move, and he chose not to consider what the effect would be on his ability to maintain a relationship with his daughter.  Also, it seems crucial to me that she should not be encouraged to believe that it is HER responsibility alone to maintain and nurture that relationship.  He's trying to use sparkles to entice her to visit him (a pool table and pool), but what arrangement is he making to make sure he is there for her--to help her out with transportation to and from work or school events, attendance at sports or other extra curricular events, etc.?  How about choosing a college?  College visits?  
  You have to remember that although your child is right now the instrument of his hurt, she's not the one responsible for dealing it to you.  She's trying to deal with the break up of her family as much as she can, and just as we go through the deals with ourselves about whether he's gay/bi, etc, as we come to terms with what we're being dealt or what we've discovered, she's cutting deals with herself, too, hoping that she can salvage something out of what is a rearrangement of her world. This is just one more of the hurts HE's inflicted on you--and on your family (the necessity for your daughter to have to try to make lemonade out of the lemon he's squeezed all over you). 

June 18, 2018 9:27 am  #3

And if it's any help, when I was going through the worst of the sad period, I noticed that often a very sad day would be followed by one in which I felt a little better, or angry, and I decided sad days are part of recovery.  You have them, they pass, they become fewer as you fully inhabit both acceptance and the necessity of remaking your life. 

June 18, 2018 9:32 am  #4

thank you Outofhiscloset~that sounds like something I can kinda look forward to, better day after the bad ones

June 18, 2018 9:42 am  #5

The thing to remember is always that he had a choice.  He had a choice not to marry you and deceive you and use you.  He has a choice where he moves.  He has a choice whether he takes responsibility for his actions or whether he chooses to run away from them and excuse himself.  He has chosen not to take responsibility and to absolve himself, and to continue to put the burdens for his choices onto others.  Remember that this will always be his default response, and you will begin to see it in his actions, even to predict it, and the more clearly you see, the less his actions will surprise or hurt.
   You will have better days.  Day 19 is VERY early, and I'd say you're doing very well for day 19.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (June 18, 2018 9:42 am)

June 19, 2018 10:29 pm  #6

My ex did this, too.  Lives 40 minutes away. The boyfriend before this (he always moves in with them) was over an hour away and he wanted me to drive them to him every other Friday. 2+ hours every time. Ugh.

He's still 40 min. away and for a while was putting up a stink about me doing half the transportation. This is when it's down to them visiting him about 5 times a year, and me doing everything else to raise them. Go f*ck yourself, buddy. He threatened to take me to court over it. I told him to GO.RIGHT.AHEAD. I have legal insurance - it won't cost me a thing. And to make it worth my while, I'll be asking the judge for his (my ex's) tax return, to help pay off his arrearage. Suddenly the transportation didn't seem so important.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

June 22, 2018 3:14 pm  #7

OOHC - I'm wondering where you were at the 6 month mark.  I seem to be having a setback.  For instance, he's at the ocean this weekend for a wedding that we were invited to.  I"m here crying and feeling sorry for myself again because I'm alone and the weather is beautiful but I just can't even get off the couch today.  It's just so unfair.  He's playing golf and enjoying all his fiends as I lay here and cry.   I'm just so sad today.  I thought I 'd be kind of past this by now?

WTF

June 22, 2018 4:28 pm  #8

Kathyd

Sounds like you need a self care day...even if its browsing a bookstore, the mall or going to the library..   Do not think about what he is doing.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

June 22, 2018 9:05 pm  #9

Kathyd,
 Six months?  It took me three years even to leave!  I did a lot of emotional work before I could leave, and even so, when I moved into my new place, in March, there were times, especially that first month (when I was going through a cancer scare...I didn't have it, it turns out), when I would prop myself up against the wall and cry.  
  Don't expect yourself to be able to do more than you are.  All you have to remember--and remind yourself of when you are down--is that gradually it will get better.

June 24, 2018 6:14 pm  #10

When this first happened and I got out of the hospital, I told him he'd best not be home when I got there.  He stayed at his brother's empty house temporarily and then got his own place.  Believe me, I was begging for him to come after a few weeks   I'm lucky that he had the foresight to get his own apartment.  Or maybe it was my sister who intervened and told him to stay away until I came to my senses.  I just want this emptiness gone tomorrow!  I know, I do expect too much too soon and I beat myself up daily for not making more of an effort to get a dam life. 

WTF

Board footera