OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 17, 2016 5:13 pm  #1

Wish me luck, I'm ready to end this fiasco!

Well, I am sooo over all this BS and have reached my saturation point with it all.  In an attempt to recover my power, I took it upon myself to contact a few roofers for a replacement for my roof.  I have allowed my partner to take full control with every decision in this(MY) house and gave ALL MY POWER TO HIM since I've known him just to avoid confrontation.  He is a right fighter, control freak and chronic liar and I get so exhausted arguing even though he's wrong and never apologizes.  Yes emotional abuse I've come to realize.  Now that I've attempted to take what little control I have, he is pissed as hell that I did something without him actually doing it.  He was condescending on a phone call and shocked when I actually made a decision without making sure it was OK with him.  Imagine that???  There's so much more to this conversation and I'm exhausted from no sleep lately having to run around hiding all the info I've put together to financially get from under his reign, hiding all the documents to keep for my own sake and safety of stuff....I've been to the lawyer and counselor and have another counselor appointment to keep me sane at this point and direct my negative energies into positive channeling of getting those ducks in a row.  The dilemma I have is that I'm OVER all this and just want him the hell out....and NOW....its just prolonging the agony and I'm now losing sleep thinking about how much strength I need and all the emotions of actually ending it....I'm beginning to think I may start off by just telling him this relationship is working for me but I know he'll ask WHAT isn't and I don't want to get into all that giving him MORE control with his BS excuses and he can change or try to....appease me with so much stuff I now realize and don't "need to hear" to make things work....nope I'm done and I think this w/e might be a good time to end this, let the chips fall where they may and figure out how the hell to pick up the pieces as I go....

August 17, 2016 7:03 pm  #2

Re: Wish me luck, I'm ready to end this fiasco!

Yes, at a certain point the pain in staying becomes greater than the pain of leaving, and that is saying a lot.  I know you already have a lot on your plate, but do try to manage your stress by eating healthy food, getting outside for fresh air, and getting some sleep.  Sleeping through the night is usually nearly impossible, so try to get naps and try sleep aids.  Good luck.  I know it is hard and often unpleasant but taking actual steps towards freedom can end up feeling better than waiting and worrying about doing so.  Try not to let him rope you into long conversations you dont want to have.  Someone who has been lying to you does not deserve your endless time and the more you say, the more effort he will put in.  Just like with small children.

August 17, 2016 7:48 pm  #3

Retired&lost,

It takes strength and faith...a bus load of each.

At some point I made the decision I'd be better off sleeping in my car than living another day with her constant lying cheating and demeaning behavior. I believe she called me garbage and nothing just to emphasize that I was worthless (but keep paying the bills).
She would even invite her girlfriend over the house if she knew I was working late. 
I would shake with trauma and basically decided as you are that the house, our life etc was all worthless without love and trust.  A house and marriage is made of the 2 people in it.

Have courage..gather strength and support where you can.  We must go through the valley.  But we are not citizens of the valley. We should not make our home in the gay abusive valley.  It will be a tough season but it does have an end.

Ehugs

Last edited by Rob (August 17, 2016 7:49 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 17, 2016 10:58 pm  #4

Get yourself into a cold, clear state of mind when you tell him. Just tell him you are DONE, you want him OUT, and you are not taking his crap anymore. I told mine he was welcome to sleep with all the men he wanted, but he could no longer be married to me. He got the message pretty quick. Don't let him argue with you. Just keep repeating those lines. He'll catch on and you will be FREE!

Sending you strength and courage.

Last edited by Keepinghope (August 17, 2016 11:00 pm)

August 18, 2016 12:32 am  #5

reading your post was like reading my history with my ex of 16yrs.  it may be difficult to walk away but know it can be done.  my divorce became final last november and now i am in control of this house, of me.

best of luck my friend!

August 18, 2016 8:27 am  #6

Good luck on  the way forward to reclaiming your life!

August 18, 2016 5:53 pm  #7

I am feeling pretty "sane" today with a clear head(thank God)...I also got some sleep last night....I can see myself now doing much more PROACTIVE planning instead of REACTING to all this emotional toxic way of thinking.  I have an appt with a counselor next Friday and will be asking her how I can deal with the everyday stresses that this "situation" brings with it.  This is the most difficult for me and I'm grateful that I have and still hope to have this group as a sounding board.  There is much support and education to be had here with all the experiences we have endured so I've decided to stop all the drama with the REACTING to him and ensure I stay focused on MY goal which is to exit with my dignity and respect and all the values and expectations that were shattered living with someone like this.  The attitude I am having now is so much more PRODUCTIVE than the worrying IF or WHAT he is(GAY or BI) as Kel has mentioned in another post.  This should not be the focus of our energies....it is the betrayal of trust, the last 15 yrs living half truths, excuses, me walking on egg shells trying to appease a control freak and everything else that goes with it.​Yesterday, I had a mini melt down bc my roof is leaking under the porch ceiling and I don't have the money to fix it so arranged a few roofers to give me an estimate.  He blew a gasket bc I did something on my own without asking him first.....my attitude now is "oh well"....I was concerned about the money and have decided to sell the engagement ring he gave me 15 yrs ago bc I never wear it and it would  probably cover 1/2 the roof expense and probably return to work part time for the rest of the money I may need OR sell something else here I don't use....So things are not as bleak as I orig. experienced...I just want to say thanx to all of you for sharing your stories and especially offering suggestions and advice.  I know it has helped me through the roughest part of this recovery.  I know things will get difficult when the actual separation takes place but I'll have this soft place to fall when it gets unbearable.  I can't say thank you enough! 

August 18, 2016 11:14 pm  #8

R&L, I'm so glad to hear you are focusing that energy on yourself! It feels good doesn't it? Feels like you're taking back control of your life (or at least beginning too). Such an empowering feeling. Keep it up!

Board footera