OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 5, 2018 8:02 am  #1

My day 6

I am sick to my stomach.  More like an empty whole of emptiness.  I cry, I get bad, I imagine we will work beyond the horrible feelings and be friends~we've been friends for 30 years, how could we not?  But then I think, were we really friends?  Who is this man that I've laid next to for 30 years?  I read a lot about asking questions and I find myself specifically NOT asking questions because: 1) will the truth (if he is even truthful) help ME?  will it help me to heal or will it just cause me more hurt and agony?  will it add to the scenes i've already made up in my mind?  will that help me heal? 
2) do i NEED to know more specifics, more details than i already know?

At this point we both know the marriage is over.  My husband is a good man and has been an ok dad, but he has been a really shitty husband.  So while I thought, ever so briefly, of the possibility to stay in the marriage, changing the expectations and boundaries, I thought "why in the world would i even consider that?"  I have been starved for the very basics in terms of loving affection for 30 years, why, why, why would i choose to continue that under these circumstances?  So, knowing that we will move forward to eventually divorce, why would i need to know any more than the basic big picture?  I can figure out many answers on my own.  Asking and not evening knowing I will get the truth is one thing I consider, but the other thing is would the true answers help ME heal?  

The hurt is indescribable, tho i know many here have walked this path.  I want it to end yet I know it won't for a long long time and that hurts and pisses me off.

Today my husband is moving out, per my request.  I know it will be sad for me, but I also feel its better for me.  I need some space for me, some space to breathe and cry and be alone.
Thanks for listening.

June 5, 2018 9:14 am  #2

Re: My day 6

jacki, 

You are asking such incredibly wise questions.  These are the kind of questions most of us don't really consider until afterwards.  

I can tell you that I snooped on my ex's computer and I overheard some of her live phone conversations.  What I read and what I heard burned my soul.   It's hard enough to have the concept in your head that your spouse is gay, in love with someone else, cheating on you, etc..   Having that vague conceptual understanding is more than enough to make necessary decisions and move on with your life.  Please trust me on this.   When you start to learn the details that fill in that concept and turn it into a real picture in your mind it burns and sears and hurts so much more.  Example..  Knowing she spent the night at her married lover's house (with the excuse that she drank too much to drive) was hard enough.. i figured she was cheating, but had no proof and could try to put it out of my head.   But later when I read their text messages talking about how great the oral sex felt it was so incredibly painful.  Overhearing her talk on the phone, taking off her clothes on videochat, saying "I love you" in the playful cooing voice that she once reserved for me..   Those vivid details are burned into my memory and even bring tears to my eyes today.. nearly 2 years later.  You have no idea how much I wish I could go back and stop myself from needing to "get proof" or know what was going on.  

I implore you to have peace in your decision and don't ask for details, don't snoop, don't wonder..   just point yourself forward and start walking.  You know all you need to know and every additional detail will only bring pain. 

Good for you for asking him to leave.   It is hard at first but the separation helps healing so much!
When you are ready.. the next step is considering all the legal aspects and negotiations of divorce.  We can help you with that process... .but don't rush into it.  Give yourself more time to get through the initial shock of all this.   

We are here for you!

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

June 5, 2018 9:42 am  #3

I do believe it helps to know the truth of the matter when it comes to healing, but it does seem to me you have an accurate picture - I was starved of affection and support for a long time too.  And right now I think you need to focus on your future.

Can I suggest you talk to a lawyer as well as a doctor.  

I always thought my ex was a good man but the realities were so different, not just emotionally but in every way.  One thing I discovered was that before I knew he was gay, before I had any conception of divorce he was already preparing for it with a secret bank account he had been siphoning money into for years.

I think it's amazing you've taken the space you need so strongly.  well done.  That will really help.  I retired into my studio which was a separate building and I put my bed in there, it was like my HQ and I could rest on my bed and my plan was simply just to do one thing a day.  it took 18 months but now I am divorced and have my own house.

wishing you the best of luck, and sending you a hug.

June 5, 2018 12:21 pm  #4

I can only share my experiences. I accessed my husbands gmail account 2 weeks ago and found things I wish I hadn't. It didn't help in any way at all and has probably set me back in my recovery. Knowing he was gay and that our marriage was over was probably enough. The extra information did nothing positive. 
Him moving out although traumatic may give you some space to think. You can just be for a bit.
Best of luck xx

June 5, 2018 4:40 pm  #5

It really does get a little better Jacki, the pain becomes less sharp over time.  Yes, this is a living nightmare and it does take a while to even process it.  I'm 5 months in and IDK, I don't miss him so much exactly, it's the trauma of it all and the loneliness that still hurts.  After so many years it's very strange being alone. 

You'll NEVER get the whole truth out of him but I think knowing some of the truth definitely helps you to heal.  

Last edited by Kathyd (June 5, 2018 5:12 pm)

WTF

June 5, 2018 9:53 pm  #6

Thank you for asking this question. I’ve only asked high level questions. I know that it will kill me to ask for more. I appreciate everyone’s response too. It’s priceless information!

June 6, 2018 8:14 am  #7

Thank you everyone for all the support and encouragement.  Today is my day 7 and first morning waking up alone (I asked my husband to move out and he left yesterday).  I am feeling so sad and hurt, over the anger.  Not sure if it is because it is so new or because I haven't seen, searched for "stuff"~for which I am grateful.  Will I get to more anger later?  Will things be revealed that lead me to anger?  There are so many unanswered questions.  4 years ago I was ready to divorce my husband due to his addiction and lack of intimacy and openness in our marriage (as much about communication as physical intimacy).  He went into treatment, got clean, works a 12-step program and I also went into recovery for myself.  I have worked hard thru this, on myself.  But why didn't he walk away 4 years ago, when I was ready?  How do you go thru treatment and work the 12 steps and still keep this deep dark secret?  A year and a half ago we went thru a "guided separation" and he moved out for 3 months.  Why didn't he leave then, again when I was ready?  It doesn't add up in my mind.  Is it cowardice?  
I do love this man that I have spent the past 30 years of my life with.  That I have searched and searched for ways to fix our marriage, tried multiple marriage counselors, neurofeedback, so many opportunities for this man to let me go and let himself out.  I don't have the experience of some~to my knowledge, he hasn't been unfaithful with another person.  I REALIZE THIS COULD STILL COME TO BE KNOWN, but for right now, I have no reason to think this.  Instead, I believe he has been a tortured soul his whole life.  He is a victim of this as am I.  And again, I do not forgive (yet, I hope) his cowardice, his selfishness, his LYING...but...my heart aches, my stomach aches, I am so scared about what is to come.
Oh, I did get tested for STD's on day 5.  I told him and he said I didn't need to.  I said, well I don't believe you, I don't trust you.  

June 6, 2018 8:18 am  #8

To Phoenix and Jesijake,
Just curious, how long have the 2 of you been aware your respective spouse's are gay?

June 6, 2018 9:37 am  #9

jacki wrote:

Will I get to more anger later?  Will things be revealed that lead me to anger?   But why didn't he walk away 4 years ago, when I was ready?  How do you go thru treatment and work the 12 steps and still keep this deep dark secret?  A year and a half ago we went thru a "guided separation" and he moved out for 3 months.  Why didn't he leave then, again when I was ready?  It doesn't add up in my mind.  Is it cowardice?  

Yes you will get more angry.  The anger is part of the healing process and it is very normal.  They say there are many stages that we all go through, but I think most of would tell you that it's not linear like the articles suggest.  You might visit the anger stage a few times.  Sometimes it will be learning new things that triggers the anger, other times it's just part of healing some of the wounds. 

Remember that everything in his world is all about him.  When you start to comprehend that level of selfishness you will better understand their choices.  We practice "sacrificial love" where we put our spouse first.. that's how we demonstrate our love.  They pretend to love us as long as it's secondary to their true desire of putting themselves first and keeping their secret. 
He didn't walk away because he was still hiding that secret.  Like most gay in denial people, he didn't want to accept his sexuality and doesn't want the world to label him or view him in that way.  So his desire is to stay hidden from the world and experiment and explore his sexuality in private.  In most cases it seems that men will cheat over and over and get satisfaction from the physical act, but usually stay in their marriage.  If your husband truly hasn't experimented yet, he would likely do that in the future. 

I'm 23 months post disclosure.  I had fears through most of my marriage and asked the question a few times over the years but got emphatic reassurances that she was not lesbian and loved me completely and would never leave me, etc..  I chose to stick my head in the and and believe what I was told because it hurt too much to consider the other option.  I would be doing the same today if she hadn't fallen for someone else and left me.  

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

June 6, 2018 10:40 am  #10

Thank you phoenix...I get the selfishness, lived with it for 30 years.  And I get the denial but I still say that my husband was a coward in this!  We have 2 out of 3 daughters that have come out as lesbians.  We have many dear friends that are gay.  So it's not like he had to fear acceptance from his immediate family.  So, I'm sticking with he didn't have the balls to be honest!
I really appreciate your honesty (and all here)~am grateful I found this group!!!

Board footera