OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 1, 2018 12:04 pm  #1

Were you ever able to trust again after leaving?

I left my boyfriend of 6 years just 2 weeks ago. I am 28 years old and people keep telling me you will find someone again that you will trust fully. I am so afraid that I never will though. I was lied to by this man for 6 years and then found a gay app on his phone. He then lied and lied again about it. I am just so afraid I will never find love again and that I wont be able to fully trust another man. 

June 1, 2018 4:39 pm  #2

Re: Were you ever able to trust again after leaving?

My ex left me after 30+ years of marriage so I I applaud you for discovering the truth and leaving immediately. Thanks to cell phones it is so much easier now for them to slip up and be caught.

In journalism there used to be a saying "If your mother says she loves you check it out."  What that meant was to fact-check everything. Thanks to Google and other search engines that's fairly easy. There also are pay sites that will give you even more information.

I met a man who said he was a widower: I found his wife's obituary. Still I fact-checked everything that he told me and everything he said checked out. In searching I also learned other good things about him so gradually I let myself trust him. It's a process. (If a man said he'd had never been married and had lived with his mother until she died I didn't bother to confirm: he might be a really nice man but I saw at best too much of a relationship learning curve. Also there's no point wasting time with a man whose two-timing so  evidence of a marriage or significant other should end the checking.) At your age there should be lots of men without complications and flashing red lights.

By the way, just because a man is on a Christian dating site does not mean that he is trust-worthy. I am told that Christian dating sites are a magnet for men who are in-the-closet or men otherwise looking for someone to deceive.

The best way to trust again by meeting people and having good experiences.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

June 4, 2018 8:20 am  #3

Kayla, 
You will trust again.  But it will take time.  You are still hurt and feeling pain and betrayal.  Those wounds are fresh now, but in time the pain softens and becomes memory.  You'll meet someone amazing someday when you are ready and you'll realized how different it is this time and you'll be able to trust again and love again. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

June 4, 2018 10:25 am  #4

Yes, you will trust again. I did.  I'm going on my 5-year wedding anniversary to a str8 man, and it's a wonderful relationship.  You just have to keep remembering that YOU are a good person, and there have got to be others like you out there.  And they are.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

June 5, 2018 2:00 pm  #5

Kayla, you will trust again but consider yourself lucky you got out. I've not been so brave. It's been a year and a half since I found out and I just turned 58. Been married for 24 years. It definitely is a process. 

“And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain, when you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.” ~ Haruki Murakami ~

June 6, 2018 9:39 am  #6

I was JUST having this exact conversation with myself while I was making my coffee... I'm 4 months post discovery, he moved out in March and remains in denial. Since this has been such a traumatic betrayal over our entire relationship, my trust issues extend to not only other people but myself especially. I have to convince myself to believe what I'm seeing. I've been in therapy for about a month. What I'm focusing on now is what I treasured about my ex that I'm afraid I won't find from someone else. He was really good at backing me up and making me feel like my everyday feelings/thoughts about life were valid (ironic right. Of course I was completely clueless as to what he was doing behind my back). So with me, and I don't know if it applies to anyone else, I feel like working on trusting MYSELF needs to come first and foremost and I hope with all hopes that after that I will be able to trust another again. I believe so 🙂

Last edited by justwokeup (June 6, 2018 9:40 am)

June 6, 2018 11:21 pm  #7

Roo if it's any consolation, he left right before I got out of the hospital.  If he hadn't have left, there's no way I could have.  I was forced to get used to being alone and get through it.  Why can't he be the one to go?   And, after he moved out, I was calling him crying to come home at night.  I was really stuck and i was sooo afraid.  6 months later I believe its the best thing I 've ever done.  We were married 25 years and I'm 55.  No, I'm not looking forward to making a new life for myself right now, but it will come.   

Last edited by Kathyd (June 6, 2018 11:23 pm)

WTF

Board footera