OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 24, 2018 9:29 am  #1

Please help

My husband of 20 years just came out to me on Saturday.  I don't even have the words to describe how I'm feeling.  We have three young kids at home and I have no idea what to do.  I can't stop crying and I don't want them to see me like this.  I'm 47 and I've never felt this kind of devastation.  Please help.

May 24, 2018 10:15 am  #2

Re: Please help

Thank you so much.  I will call them...

May 24, 2018 10:34 am  #3

Sweetie, you don't need to find the words to describe how you're feeling.  We've been there.  We already know.

Please don't try to solve any problems beyond the next 24 hours.

Looking back on my discovery day ... I keep thinking, what happened was like when you watch the movie "The Sixth Sense" and then see this surprise ending, so you go back and watch it again, knowing the spoiler, and realize it's a completely different movie than what you saw the first time.

I know that's a stupid comparison, but what happened to me was that over the course of the next month or so, after I'd discovered my husband's cheating, memories kept washing back over me, and just like with that film, I was now seeing a completely different marriage than the one I'd initially experienced.  This stuff happens over time, not overnight.  I would be in the middle of something completely innocuous, like emptying the dishwasher, and suddenly I'd recall a conversation we'd had twenty years earlier ... and I wouldn't have thought about it in twenty years, but the whole thing came back because now I'd "seen the spoiler".

This is a slow process.

May 24, 2018 10:42 am  #4

walkbymyself wrote:

Looking back on my discovery day ... I keep thinking, what happened was like when you watch the movie "The Sixth Sense" and then see this surprise ending, so you go back and watch it again, knowing the spoiler, and realize it's a completely different movie than what you saw the first time..

That's not a stupid comparison...that's exactly how I feel.  Like I never had the life I thought I did.

May 24, 2018 10:59 am  #5

Hi Jenn, 

You've come to the right place.  Good job for reaching out and trying to find some help and support.  

We all have been and are still going through what you are experiencing.  So we get it.  We totally understand.  We all have unique parts to our story, but at the core we are all survivors of a similar trauma.  Because we know how you feel we are uniquely qualified to help you.  We are here for you and we will do all we can to help you survive this. 

There are a number of common steps that we advise to new members, but as walkbymyself mentioned just above, you have your hands full just getting through today.  So let's focus on that and take it day by day.  

Let me offer you three bits of advice today..  Our group will give you limitless love and compassion and advice in the future, but for today, let's just keep it to a few points to start. 

1.) For those in their first few days, my best recommendation is to preserve your health, both mental and physical.  The emotional pain you are going through also comes with very real physical impacts.  It's trauma.. plain and simple.. and it can be dangerous.   Keep an eye on what your body is telling you.  Make sure you are eating enough to sustain you and getting enough sleep.  Keep an eye out for anxiety attacks, shortness of breath or other issues.  Watch for signs of depression.  These are all very normal results of this trauma.  They don't make you weak.  We typically recommend a Dr visit to be proactive in maintaining your health through this process.  

2.) All of the emotions you are feeling are valid and normal and healthy to express.  Except shame.  Too many of us feel embarrassed or ashamed or we blame ourselves for not knowing our spouse is gay.  Because of this we harm our recovery process by not reaching out to get support and not feeling like we are allowed to tell our story.  Do not blame yourself or feel embarrassed in any way.  Don't hide and suffer alone. 

3.)  Get support!  You are doing it already.. good for you!!!    Starting here is fantastic.  Reaching out to the SSN help line is awesome.  I also recommend you find a few people in your life to build a support network.  Do you have parents, family or best friends to confide in?  Today is your rainy day.  Hopefully there are people in your life you can call on to be there with you... to hug you and cry with you and be there for you.  Don't harm yourself by hiding in the shadows.. too many of us do that and we suffer much longer and much worse than we should have to. 

You have lots to figure out in the future..  we are here for you and will help you through it.   But for now just focus on getting through today.  

hugs to you!

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

May 24, 2018 11:59 am  #6

Hello Jenn70,

The news you have received are shocking and will keep you numb for some time, but it will get better...you will survive this.
You took such a great step by finding this forum. We have been in your shoes. We know how you are feeling now.

As others mentioned above, you do not have to figure your life out at this second. One step at the time.
Open up to someone from your cycle. Having someone on your side is really helpful and helps you to see things much clearer.
Leave that shame behind you, there is nothing you should be ashamed off.
You should go the doctor and do STD tests as well.
We are here for you.
Warm Hugs to you.

May 24, 2018 12:25 pm  #7

We are all here for you and feel your pain. I am 8 months in and still taking each day at a time. Have you got a good friend you can talk to? Keep posting on here and we will get you through it.
Hugs xx

May 24, 2018 12:28 pm  #8

Jenn -
Keep taking deep breaths. I found out 2 months ago today. I didn’t know I could cry that hard and for that long. Still happens daily, but I’m starting to understand that I’ll be ok. Know that you will be ok, too.
Thank goodness for this site. You will learn so much. Things you need to hear even though you don’t want to. Believe that you are so much stronger than you feel right now. Hugs from TX.

May 24, 2018 3:58 pm  #9

Thanks everyone.  Everything you've said really resonates with me right now.  It's almost worse, in a way, because I keep trying to convince myself we'll be that one couple that finds a way to happily stay together.

I'm just heartbroken.

May 24, 2018 5:37 pm  #10

Jenn - I'm so, so sorry.  That feeling of your life being swept out beneath you is more than devastating at first.  I cried for 125 days and felt I'd been kicked in the stomach.  I wish I had some good advice for you but I wasn't so strong at first.  The trauma was so bad for me that I checked myself into the hospital.  I'd been married 25 years with grown kids so I was able to do that.  It was my sister and my friend that got me through those first tough weeks too.  Is there anyone that can come and stay with you?   Nobody and I mean nobody could be prepared for something like this to happen.  It's too unbelievable.  I had times at first where I had to keep convincing myself that it was true.  Denial was a safe place.  I feel so bad for you honey, being so young with 3 children to also worry about.  Maybe they will help you stay glued together while you're pretending to be.  I became completely unglued.  The crying and the primal screaming that came from insides was like nothing I'd ever heard before.  I feel your pain.  It's hell on earth.  Reach out and get some help, there's no way you could have seen this one coming.  It's nothing you missed.  And the most important thing is that it's NOT YOUR FAULT!!  Don't hate yourself for something you had NO control over.  Again I'm so sorry this happened to you.  You need big hugs right now from all of us here that have felt the same as you are right now.  Big E-HUG!!  (I'm about 5 months in and am doing OK but you won't believe that it will ever be better right now.  But it truly does)

You'll be in my thoughts.  I'll say a prayer for you.

WTF

Board footera