OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 6, 2018 6:23 am  #1

Coping with the fall out on my children

Hi everyone and help!! I need some advice/support and I don't really know who to turn to, so I am hoping you all may be able to share your own experiences. I discovered my husband was gay 2.5 years ago. We had been together for nearly 20 years, with two children who were 10 and 12 at the time. I had no idea, not even an inkling, so I experienced, as I am sure many of you did, the immediate end to my marriage in the minute I found out. Since then life has been a total rollercoaster of emotions. My husband is in a really good place, he has worked hard to come to terms with his new identity as a gay man, he is in a happy and settled relationship with his partner (who he met prior to me finding out he was gay). Which is great for him. But I am really struggling to move on and to deal with the fall out of all of this, not just on myself, but on my two children who are now 13 and 15, possibly the worst time! Neither of them feel comfortable with him being gay, and are particularly struggling to accept that he is in a gay relationship. And this is where I am really finding it hard. I want to encourage them to have a relationship with their dad, but I feel very strongly that they should not be forced to accept his partner as part of the package. And I feel like I am banging my head against a brickwall as my husband just thinks that they should "get on with it as it has been over two years". My son, who is 15, totally refuses to have anything to do with his partner. My daughter however is more of the peacemaker and is more compliant at present. It is her birthday today and she is with my husband at his parents house in Wales (over 250 miles from me). My mother in law has her 70th birthday so they are having a celebration lunch. My daughter messaged me last night to say that Colin (husband's partner) is there with them which she doesn't like. She had asked my husband before they left if he was going, and he had told her no. So she is stuck there in a situation she doesn't want to be in and I am FURIOUS! So am i being out of order expecting that it is just a courtesy to me, after 15 years of marriage and two years supporting my ex husband, to say that she was going to be put in this position? Or to at least be honest with her so she has the choice to say she doesn't want to go? I feel bad that she is so far away and I can't do anything to help her. How do other people cope with how their children feel about things and what is the right way forward?? I would be grateful for any advice please! And sorry for the long rant!!

May 6, 2018 10:20 am  #2

Re: Coping with the fall out on my children

I'm sorry, Wondering, I have to disagree with the bulk of your advice.
One, when the gay parent has been hiding in a heterosexual marriage, it is not like the sudden appearance of a step-parent/boyfriend in a straight relationship.  And that is because the children are not just dealing with the implosion of their parents' marriage; they are also dealing with the revelation that the father they thought they had and knew was not the father they had and knew.  This may be more analogous to finding out a parent had cheated in a particularly disgusting way (multiple prostitutes, with a family member, etc), but it's still got the added quality of confronting in themselves what their father's gayness has to do with them--they may be questioning their own sexuality (not because they are gay, but because an apparently hetero father wasn't; but if they are themselves gay, they then confront the hiding of gayness).  

Two, Nicci said that her children were struggling with their father's actions and with his boyfriend.  They do NOT WANT to spend time with their father or with his boyfriend, and they are old enough to decide for themselves what their wishes might be.  

Three, the father has lied to and manipulated his own daughter, after she specifically asked him whether the boyfriend would be in attendance.  He has shown by his actions that he is not putting his daughter's wishes and well-being first, but only his own selfish desires.  (No surprise, given that he hid in a marriage to a straight woman for years and only came out, as so many do, when he had met a gay man he was willing to ditch his family for.)

Counseling, yes, but not for all four together!  They're no longer a family.  The father has a new partner and is living elsewhere.  Counseling, yes, for the kids, each of them, and maybe for the kids and the mother together.  

That's how you put the kids first. 

May 6, 2018 3:20 pm  #3

Thanks for your responses and advice. I am finding my situation a lonely place to be and reading the advice from you all has helped me at least to think that I am being logical and reasonable in my responses. my ex husband seems to be so much of the view that his relationship is normal and that the kids needs to accept it as such. Let's face it, there would be two fewer children on the planet if he had been true to his own sexuality in the first place rather than be the instigator of so much hurt and destruction. I really try to be positive with my children about them accepting him as a gay man,  but I think he is forcing it on them too quickly and I worry that the ultimate outcome could be catastrophic. So thank you just for listening.

May 6, 2018 7:15 pm  #4

His problem. Not yours to deal with. Be there for your kids and get therapy for you all. 
He can get his own therepy. He is an ass.

Life is like phases of the moon.... We really only see it when it's beautiful, full and in our face. 

May 7, 2018 3:21 am  #5

I think you are dealing with this remarkably well. The main thing I picked out from your post was that your ex lied. That would be a big issue for me. Your daughter, who was being very generous and forgiving has been badly let down by him and I fear she may now refuse further contact. Which I have to say I would totally understand. Your ex has basically out his own desires above that of your children and that has to be made plain to him.
One thing that crops up over and over on the forum is how selfish our spouses are and this is a price example. Does your childrens school have a guidance dept that could help?

May 7, 2018 2:20 pm  #6

Nicci wrote:

Thanks for your responses and advice. I am finding my situation a lonely place to be and reading the advice from you all has helped me at least to think that I am being logical and reasonable in my responses. my ex husband seems to be so much of the view that his relationship is normal and that the kids needs to accept it as such. Let's face it, there would be two fewer children on the planet if he had been true to his own sexuality in the first place rather than be the instigator of so much hurt and destruction. I really try to be positive with my children about them accepting him as a gay man,  but I think he is forcing it on them too quickly and I worry that the ultimate outcome could be catastrophic. So thank you just for listening.

Sorry, my brain just exploded there for a moment.

Your husband lied to your daughter.  That is not acceptable, and it's particularly unacceptable in a family where vulnerable teens are struggling to come to terms with the very foundation of their lives being built on a fraud.  So no, he does not get to lie to the kids, ever, for any reason.  He should be turning himself inside out trying to win back their trust, not validating their suspicion that he's a dishonest person.

And, he doesn't get to decide whether or not they need to accept his new relationship.  This happens to straight divorced couples all the time; being gay doesn't give him a free pass.  If he really wants them to accept his new relationship, the first thing he has to do is stop trying to force it on them before they're ready.

May 7, 2018 2:42 pm  #7

Nicci you said " I want to encourage them to have a relationship with their dad, but I feel very strongly that they should not be forced to accept his partner as part of the package."

I think before you encourage them to do anything you....you need to ask them what THEY want, and they need to know that their choices matter. And that they can confide in you.

The family unit of you & your children are, in my 
opinion.....of more importance than the man who decided that family unit wasn't what he wanted

KIA KAHA                       

May 7, 2018 6:42 pm  #8

< deleted >

Last edited by Estella Oculus (February 11, 2019 4:30 pm)

May 9, 2018 1:59 pm  #9

It will be ideal if we can talk to our spouses about putting our kids first, but usually it does not happen. I wish I can talk to my GHIDSD like Wondering suggests, but it does not work like that on my end. Most likely they want us to walk their way on their terms.
They lied to us through our entire marriage/relationships putting themselves first and what I relized it won't change all of a sudden not even for kids. Those spouses really victimize themselves and think they deserve everything and that they can do anything to keep them happy.
Their EGO is priority.I often feel that odds are on their side and they get what they want even if this will cost us STRIAGHT SPOUSES emotional drainage like we were not hit enough already...it is like never ending story. You want to move on and detach and you cannot do it fully, because of their actions with our kids.
I struggle with that on my end when my GHIDSD who does whatever he wants even if we had a different agreement.
My kids are young and do not know about their father yet. Our mutual agreement was to keep that news away from them for now till we divorced and slowly we would "introduce" them to different side of daddy. But those were just words on his end...he seems to be ok to live with his boyfriend(and he claims that this has no place that he just visits him every day for long hours and have access to the house.. really? Am I 5 years old? I know you fooled me all these years, but really?!) and introduce him to our kids as his friend and have his significant around my kids like this is not harmful, because they do not know, because he does not do anything with him in front of them. I understand that eventually they will be around his partner, but Dude do this slowly. Have them familiar with having 2 houses first.
What is this then? Him living with him, having kids around and his boyfriend at the same time? Getting to know each other better? Do you really have to kiss in front of kids to say oh yes this is exposure? But if it does not happen then it is ok, it is not wrong?
We are not divorced yet. I just cannot comprehend these gay spouses thinking.
Or I am wrong? Am I?
Anyway, I made a big progress if it comes to see his true colors and I do not blame myself for what had happend in our marriage and I do not think of myself less anymore, but this constant ignorance and his position with kids drains blood of me.
Nicci,I feel for you.
You would think that since the truth is out and your kids know that it should be easier and even for your husband to become authentic, loving and compassionate parent, but it seems like it will never change. I understand he wants kids to get to know his partner, but shouldn't this happen on your kids pace? Whenever they are ready? Forcing won't resolve anything. It will do opossite.
Or maybe we STRAIGT SPOUSES do not get it?
How you can lie to your teenage girl regarding you boyfriend presence at the family event? was it more important for your husband to please his boyfriend than your own kid? Your desires are so much on demand that you cannot consider couple days with your kids only to build that band, explain someting or make those kids feel like they are the most important people, especially at their emotional stage right now?!
It makes my head to spin.
I think it is like Rob said many times at this forum, we need to keep that normal house with our kids on our time and be for our kids when they need us. But still it is painful to not have tat control and not always be able to protect our kids.

May 9, 2018 3:46 pm  #10

Hey comrades, 

Yeah,   My  kids get my un-divided attention and support etc in my house.  Its a calm house and I try to be the dad they always knew..consistent, stable, dependable, empathetic.
They will find no rage in this house.   But I'm kind of a minority opinion here; when they are with the GX  I just don't want to know what is going on in the other house..  If they start talking to me about there I cover my ears and say LaLaLaLa..   Its not a good attitude but I just cant influence or control what goes on there in anyway.. I want and need minimal contact with the GX.  This is really to their determent sometimes because me and the mom should really communicate more about them.  I still fear her and her hurt...its not hate that keeps me from contacting my GX.     Like you all..it breaks my heart that they need to be there at all ...nothing I can do it about.     I will say this though... they want a mom and dad..  they do not want to like one more than other..I think the kids are ok..they have 2 happy homes instead one toxic home....now if the parents could still just get along to some degree they would be even better.   No contact is how I get along, for now.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

Board footera