OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 17, 2018 4:23 pm  #1

I'm Confused

My wife of 14 years came out to me three weeks ago as gay, and said she wants to end our marriage. I've long known about her attraction to women, but we've had an active and, I thought, quite satisfying sex life. She revealed to me that she was ready to call herself bisexual about a year and a half ago. I wasn't alarmed, clearly I should have been. Based on what we had talked about, fantasies and so forth, that made sense.

Since coming out to me as gay, she has pretty much revealed how far back and to what extent her attraction to women has been. Her first crush, movie stars she likes, always focusing on women.

I guess my question is, how can we have had such a good sex life for me (and she says satisfying for her) and she still be gay?

There's a lot of backstory I haven't included, obviously. She now says in her life up to this point being gay for her was not an option, and there were years and years where she told herself that she was not gay, couldn't be. She expended a large amount of energy repressing that. And now she is getting congratulated for being "authentic", while I was authentic for 14 years and am devastated.

April 17, 2018 4:41 pm  #2

Re: I'm Confused

DaveOKC wrote:

My wife of 14 years came out to me three weeks ago as gay, and said she wants to end our marriage. I've long known about her attraction to women, but we've had an active and, I thought, quite satisfying sex life. She revealed to me that she was ready to call herself bisexual about a year and a half ago. I wasn't alarmed, clearly I should have been. Based on what we had talked about, fantasies and so forth, that made sense.

Since coming out to me as gay, she has pretty much revealed how far back and to what extent her attraction to women has been. Her first crush, movie stars she likes, always focusing on women.

I guess my question is, how can we have had such a good sex life for me (and she says satisfying for her) and she still be gay?

There's a lot of backstory I haven't included, obviously. She now says in her life up to this point being gay for her was not an option, and there were years and years where she told herself that she was not gay, couldn't be. She expended a large amount of energy repressing that. And now she is getting congratulated for being "authentic", while I was authentic for 14 years and am devastated.

Dave....I'm kinda jealous (I know that will sound weird). Not to make light of the situation you now find yourself in but your wife sounds determined & honest. So many of us have partners who are not.
Now for my personal rant....
This "authentic" thing makes me scream, while understanding the right-ness of the term as regards the LGBTQ community...it leaves the spouse of these people with a voice that wants to be heard but whose authenticity doesn't appear to have the same importance.

You're in the right place Dave...to find advice..

KIA KAHA                       

April 17, 2018 5:04 pm  #3

Ellexoh, "it leaves the spouse of these people with a voice that wants to be heard but whose authenticity doesn't appear to have the same importance." 

Very well said, I think I'm going to use that if that's ok.

I know I have had it good with her. A few months ago, she did develop feelings for and kiss a good friend of hers, who has since decided to no longer be friends (her boyfriend found out and gave her an ultimatum). But, I think that is as far as things went. I'm monogamous, and she says she is, too. I'm pretty sure I believe her.

Thanks for the welcome.

April 17, 2018 5:36 pm  #4

DaveOKC wrote:

.....Thanks for the welcome.

Use it

In the "nobody understands exactly what I'm going through" world of straight spouses....I wrote a piece on this experience and sent it to the online site of the local newspaper, but wanted it to be anonymous. Which says it all doesn't it? How can there be a sensible (inclusive?) dialogue acknowledging the 'other side' of a couple who face this issue....when one is told they should be authentic...it's their right!, and the other can't/is in too much disarray to even be acknowledged. 

KIA KAHA                       

April 17, 2018 6:00 pm  #5

Dave sorry you're here.
You are pretty sure you believe her? I think you just want to believe her but deep down you don't.
Neither do I. 
Obviuosly a gay or bi or whatever they are can have sex and make it work to where it's enjoyable and doable for both parties. 
I can close my eyes and make it work with only me thnking of the opposite sex so why can't they with another human while thinking of what they desire?
Sorry I don't buy any of this. Sounds to me, like a lot of guys, you bought into the Bi thing and enjoyed it while it lasted.
In my opinion and from what I've seen and researched, Bi doesn't last. It's a transitional phase to one direction. (Usually the wrong.)
Count your blessings and lose the bitch. I'm sure you deserve and can do much better.

Life is like phases of the moon.... We really only see it when it's beautiful, full and in our face. 

April 17, 2018 7:22 pm  #6

Dave - yes count your blessings.  She is coming out sooner rather than later, this is a blessing - some never come out at all and brazen it all the way to the grave with their monogamous loyal husband suffering alongside.  It is horrible to watch.

Don't bother giving her the benefit of the doubt, I mean just don't bother - what on earth does 'being gay wasn't an option' mean towards you?  why couldn't she be honest with you?  

Last edited by lily (April 17, 2018 7:25 pm)

April 17, 2018 9:21 pm  #7

I'm getting a little tired of the "it isn't an option" excuse.  It IS an option.  There are millions of out gay/lesbian people.  My stbx, who at first was hellbent on living as a woman, decided that what he'd have to do to live as the person he wanted to be was going to be SO HARD, which really meant he'd have to give up his comfortable life as man and take a hit to his pride because he wouldn't pass as a woman, and all this was intolerable to him.  But what does he now say about why he CAN'T live the authentic life he wants?  Because society is transphobic--even though he works at a university where trans issues have been at the forefront of the university's attention for several years, and next year our entire freshman class is going to read a book about a child who is being raised as a transgender child.  
  For some people, being who they are is the ONLY option.  But for our closeted or in denial spouses, it's NOT an option.  I don't buy that anymore.  You can be who you are.  And if you don't feel you can, then don't hide behind someone else.  There's NO excuse for THAT. 

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (April 17, 2018 9:25 pm)

April 18, 2018 8:50 am  #8

Hi Dave, 

Welcome to the group.  I went through the same experience with my ex.  She tried for 16 years to repress her same sex attraction.  Though, we didn't have a satisfying sex life like you say you had.  Mine claimed to be bisexual as well, but in the end that turned out to be a lie.  To be honest, most of us hear that story and it turns out to be lies.  Being "Bi" is a much more socially acceptable stance for someone married to a straight person.  It implies that they do still love you and are attracted to you and removes the guilt and takes away the idea that they just plain lied to you about who they were. 

You ask some good questions:
How can you have a good sex life even though she isn't attracted to men?  I won't pretend to know your wife but I have my opinions..   I think many people with a same sex attraction try to repress it.  One of the ways they think they can change themselves is to try really hard to enjoy sex with their husband/wife.  They will try to do it often and try to get into it hoping they can convince themselves that it's great.  It's not like visiting the dentist.. they are still getting some pleasure, especially if their spouse is "generous".  Many use their imagination to help increase the pleasure.  
Another cause for sexual activity is to smokescreen us..  When they are worried that we are going to find out the truth they will increase the frequency of sex in order to make us think they like it.  That will take away our concerns and not make us suspect anything. 

We all experience the pain of being marginalized when our spouse comes out.  Our society is quick to congratulate them for being "authentic" and for having the courage to come out of the closet.  But they completely miss the fact the awful way they took another person hostage to avoid being authentic for so long.  Society completely misses the fact that there is an innocent victim in this story who's life is completely destroyed.  Multiple victims if there are kids involved.  

Anyway, welcome to our group Dave.  We are all here for you.  We understand everything because we've been through it or are currently going through it.  Feel free to post and blog and share as much as you like.  Let us know how you are feeling and what questions you have.  We are here to help!

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

April 18, 2018 6:17 pm  #9

Thanks for the responses, everyone. They have helped provide quite a bit of perspective. I'm still in a state of shock I think, but I'm seeking help. And knowing you guys are here is a good thing.

As far as enjoying the Bi thing goes, for me, that definitely wasn't the case. We never engaged in any threesomes or anything like that. For me it was pretty much just a label she assigned herself. And yeah, it ended up just being a stop along the way.

Last edited by DaveOKC (April 18, 2018 6:18 pm)

April 18, 2018 7:31 pm  #10

Wondering89 wrote:

It’s a massive thing to get your head around.

That is for sure.

Today we are doing okay. I talked with a friend last night for a couple of hours. And then had lunch with a minister friend today. The friend from last night wants to start hitting the gym together, and was maybe thinking about getting into Tai Chi. So we may give that a try.

Board footera