OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 13, 2016 6:10 pm  #1

New Str8 Spouse on the Block

Hi.  I have lurked here for a while and want to introduce myself.  I learned this spring that my husband of just over 30 years is "bi" (i use quotes because i suspect he is probably GID) and has been having a sexual affair with his high school friend for the duration of our marriage.  I have known he was lying to me over the past 20 years, but was never clear on the reason or content.  I convinced myself it couldnt be too serious since it didnt seem to involve other women.  FacePalm.  He did get involved with women, which served as quite a red herring to the actual betrayal, although not intentionally.  So I asked him to move out within 24 hours of learning the truth but kindly gave him 4 whole days to find a place, pack and be gone.  We have agreed to a settlement and are awaiting the slooow process of divorce.  He and his friend are in clover, busy planning their future travel plans, traveling to see each other, etc.  Life is good.  Meanwhile, I am sitting here wishing the bus that just ran me over had finished the job.  My identity, past, present and future are all blown to bits.  I am at a loss as to where to even start to pick up the pieces.  We still have a child in high school, so caring for him will give me a few more years to heal and figure out where to go from here. 

I know I will have questions for those who have been through all of this trauma, but for today I just wanted to step forward and say hello.  I am grateful for this site and chumplady.com ... few people can comprehend my situation.  Including me!!

August 13, 2016 7:24 pm  #2

Re: New Str8 Spouse on the Block

Welcome to the club none of us ever wanted to be in. I'm guessing you've read much of what has been posted here in the past so you know we fully comprehend the situation. I also see you've already begun to offer your experience and thoughts on other posts so thank you for stepping out of the shadows.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

August 13, 2016 11:00 pm  #3

Dixie,

I'm so sorry to hear your story. It is so deeply painful. You will get through this even though you can feel like your life has been so intertwined in his liies. He was not authentic. You were real about who you are. Be strong. You will get through this nightmare. Go easy on yourself. Recovery takes time, and life can feel great again as the years go on. Even in deep sorrow at the beginning of discovery, there still can be moments of joy. ((hugs))

Betsy

August 14, 2016 6:25 am  #4

Welcome! This forum is a lifeline for those of us going through this process, because only people who have been through this can truly understand! Thinking of you.

"You want a man who messes up your lipstick, not your mascara."

August 14, 2016 7:02 am  #5

Dixie

A warm but sad welcome.

Sometimes I use the forum/board to chime in with a me too...but also as a means to know I'm not crazy or going crazy.

Once my lezex decides she wanted out of marriage and was discarding me one of her favorite things to do was gaslight me.
Its a horrible feeling being subtly lied to ...ie.  the kid is going here on saturday..what you didn't know...we told you.  No I was not told...nobody told me.  I am not crazy.

Soon you will learn , sadly, if their lips are moving they are lying.  How one can lie all the time like this in good conscious defies ones morals..but these spouses do..

Be kind to yourself.  Know you did nothing to deserve lies and betrayal.  You sound like you let him know...I can only admire your strength.

Ehugs (virtual but authentic)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 14, 2016 8:35 am  #6

Thank you, kind people, for your welcome.  Yes, it has been nothing but lies for 30 years.  And I feel that his lies were not out of confusion or shame, but rather a very intentional tactic to have cake.  So many layers of hurt, but probably the most devastating part is that he made absolutely no effort to comfort me as he walked out the door.  Even with his almost complete lack of empathy, he knew how crushing this was to me and he offered nothing.  No hug, no apology, no remorse, no reassurances that he ever loved me or that anything had ever been real.  He was wrapped up in his own self-pity about how HE was affected and had nothing to offer me.  He knew what words he could have said, even if they were lies, that could have given me some small thing to hold onto and he said nothing.  Such an asshole.  The outside world, if/when they learn the truth, will likely view him as "brave" and "having suffered internally" and all that coming out of the closet "hero" stuff, which for many gays is true and authentic.  But not this guy.  He is a manipulative user through and through who just happens to be bi.  I imagine he will use that closet thing for all it's worth to rescue his all-important image. 

So yes, I stuck up for myself pretty much immediately.  I had known he was lying and suspected that he was cheating on me for years, but when I learned the full truth of it, I stood up and kicked his sorry ass out.  I am fortunate to be in a financial situation that allowed that to happen.  I wrote our settlement in a few days and shoved it down his throat ... he is taking a real hit.  It doesn't make anything better, but it is the only (legal) revenge option I have.  I am still in the extreme anger phase, obviously, and prefer that emotion to the intense pain that sometimes washes over me.  Thanks for listening.  It helps.

Last edited by Dixie (August 14, 2016 9:41 am)

August 14, 2016 9:04 pm  #7

Hi Dixie,
I was also married for a long time, 43 years, before I realized that my husband was a manipulative narcissist and filed for divorce. I had suspected he was gay but only got proof months after I filed. But that was last year. Now it's 11 months since our divorce was final and I can tell you life has improved considerably. This time last year I was crying every day and barely making it through. My ex is still in denial and also denied me words of comfort as our marriage fell apart. Because it was all my fault.

I made it through the year with the support of this group, a good therapist, my str8 spouse local meeting, Chumplady, and the Facebook support groups for str8 spouses and narc survivors.  And I joined a few dating sites, meeting a few men who helped take my mind off of my pain. I am totally no contact with my ex and have no desire to see him or hear his voice again. Our adult daughters still believe him but have kept me in their lives, thank God.

I wish you much support for the coming year. It will be rough and very dark for a while but there is light at the end. We are here to help.

August 14, 2016 11:06 pm  #8

Hi Dixie, welcome. I'm so sorry this thing has happened to you.

For 25 years I was married to who I thought was the nicest man ever. A few years ago things started feeling "off" and I caught him in a few lies. In July of 2015 I learned the truth thru his phone and text log, and then his phone and all the "goodies" and photos etc. he had hidden in his car. I told him he couldn't be married to me anymore, we were through.

Like you, I had control over the finances, and a good income, so I told him what was going to happen, and it did. We were divorced within 5 months. Of course I was devastated, crushed. Like yours, once he knew he couldn't gaslight me anymore, he turned so cold. Never admitted anything. Said the problem was I was "too snoopy." Yes I wanted him to acknowledge the hurt he had caused me, and help me understand how he could have done what he did. But, I got nothing. He walked out the door like it was the best thing that had ever happened to him.

I only survived this year with the love and help of my adult kids, friends, therapists, doctors, support groups(2) this forum, and lots of meditation, reading, and journaling. Possibly a little red wine. I'm pretty happy now, for the most part, but still taking antidepressants and sometimes finding it hard to believe this really happened.

I wish I'd never met him. Now I'm in my mid sixties and divorced, and my in-laws won't speak to me. All this through no fault of my own.

AnneG, our stories also sound similar. I'm a tough cookie and you sound strong as well.

August 15, 2016 7:08 am  #9

Welcome Dixie, 

To the club nobody here wanted to join.  Victims maybe, but glad to hear you were strong and kicked his sorry ass out quickly.  Perhaps it is more honest to not try and comfort you.  My GIDX was all sorry and I love you and I always loved you and TBH it didn't really ease the pain, because in a way it made it worse.....so is that what love is.... to treat someone as a sucker while you eat your cake.   Tell them it's their problem....

No I think the callousness will help you to heal more quickly without the mindfuck of 'oh but we love each other and can be friends"  No, friends don't treat friends like that buddy.....  It took me a while to see that.  To see that his kindness and 'love' were just more of the same efforts for him to feel better about HIMSELF and NOT about ME feeling better.  

Better off rid.  Good for you.  Stay strong and good luck with your recovery journey.  

August 15, 2016 7:43 am  #10

You all are right.  I stayed many years longer than I should have putting up with being lied to because I was so sure that he felt about me the way I felt about him.  By assuming that he loved me, I trusted that he would not do unloving harmful things to me intentionally.  So avoiding the mental confusion and anguish that would come from hearing him say things that I wish were true is for the best.  There just isn't any relief from this pain other than experiencing it until acceptance sets in. 

In fact, one of my biggest supporters is my sister and she continues to insist that of course he loved me all those years and that there is no need for me to "demonize" him.  I have tried to counter argue with her that no one who loves another person would lie and cheat on them for three decades, but she cannot see it and I have had to just let it drop.  Her efforts to persuade me of his past "love" are intended as kind reassurance but sadly have the opposite effect.  So I imagine getting the same input from him would be 100x worse.  Be careful what you wish for ...

Board footera