OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 27, 2018 12:13 pm  #1

Would it be helpful to have a sub-forum dedicated to Trans issues?

I don't like to have too many sub-forums as it tends to scatter the posts and knowledge and makes it harder to find and read.   But I was thinking about whether or not this might be helpful and thought I would ask the group for opinions. 

Are transsexual issues different enough from homosexual issues to warrant having a dedicated section?  I don't know the stats, but I would guess we probably have about 20% of our new members with trans spouses.. might even be 25%.  

I know I don't feel comfortable giving advice on how to deal with a trans spouse, so I typically simply pop in and say "welcome" and I leave advice to others with more experience.  I feel like the issues for a trans spouse are different than a gay spouse.  How they come out is different, how their coming out impacts the family is different, how their sexual needs are met is different, how you might remain in a marriage if you desired that is different.. 

I wonder if it would be helpful to people who just come here to search through posts and read to have an organized section to house the trans threads.   
Or do you think it might make people uncomfortable to post in that section?

Just wanted to ask the group what you think. 

Thanks!

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

February 27, 2018 12:52 pm  #2

Re: Would it be helpful to have a sub-forum dedicated to Trans issues?

Phoenix,

I have thought before it would be easier to find posts relevant to your situation if subs were provided.
Gay spouse
Lesbian spouse
Trans spouse
Yes, they address different things, tend to have different content, grapple with different issues. Typically when people land on this forum, they likely immediately go sifting through things to find the posts (and posters) that relate to them/their situation. I know I did. After that I went weeding through the rest that didn't apply to my situation. Because even though the particulars might be different with a lesbian spouse, overall the loss is the same.

Good grief, I don't know if that info is helpful or not! But that's what happened when I found this forum.

February 27, 2018 1:11 pm  #3

Deleted

Last edited by Duped (August 28, 2019 1:51 pm)

February 27, 2018 1:25 pm  #4

phoenix wrote:

Are transsexual issues different enough from homosexual issues to warrant having a dedicated section? 

After reading (or not reading) threads with issues I simply have no concept of........Yes.

KIA KAHA                       

February 27, 2018 2:35 pm  #5

Yes, I think it would be helpful.  Despite the fact that there are similarities in all the gay issues, there are definite differences between gay and trans.  Someone can be trans and gay, or trans and straight.  Plus being trans doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't attracted to their current partner (or at least that's what they all tell their partner in the beginning, anyway).  I think it would be helpful to have a separate category.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

February 27, 2018 10:10 pm  #6

Yes, it would have helped me when I first got here. I was trying to find anyone who had a more similar situation to mine..with the Bi/CD/AUTOGENEPHILE Husband.

February 27, 2018 10:55 pm  #7

Here are my thoughts:
1)  It would be good to have a way to identify the most relevant threads, along the lines Lyonene suggests.
2) However, I would not like to be isolated in a trans ghetto, because
3) I think others have a lot to learn to about trans issues (Kel, I'm talking to you--you who sometimes wades in where angels fear to tread), and 
4) I learned a lot and there were many similarities between what I was going through and what others with gay or gid spouses were going through. 
 I would not like to atomize things so much that this ability to learn from each other and support each other is lost.  I thought it was a great mistake to ghetto-ize those who were striving to make MOMs work, as if they were hothouse flowers whose positions would never change and whose situations were those from which we could not learn.

February 28, 2018 10:08 am  #8

OoHC,

Is it your opinion that I'm super off-base and shouldn't be even responding to the trans threads?  I'm not asking so I can be offended at the answer - maybe I just need to not venture into the land where I am just making assumptions that anything I say can help.  If that's the case, I'll pull back.  I guess I see similarities in the gay/trans issues in a few areas - namely that by the time they reveal it to us, it's NOT "new", and that if it's not something that's going to work for you (the straight spouse), then you shouldn't feel an obligation to stick the marriage out purely for their sake.  It seems that so often, the biggest part of the trans thing that stands out the most to me is that the str8 spouse seems more concerned with what their trans spouse is feeling than what they themselves should be feeling.

Kel

February 28, 2018 11:43 am  #9

Kel,
  The issues are confused with the trans situation.  With a gay/lesbian revelation, the situation is clear: your spouse wants someone of the same sex: a males feels desire for a male; a female feels desire for a female.  If you're the straight spouse in such a situation, there's really not much you can do to accommodate that desire and situation.  GID spouses will use the bi ruse to avoid admitting the truth to themselves and others, but as we've seen, it's more often a ruse than the truth--and even when it's the truth, the bi spouse in a monogamous marriage can choose not to act on a same sex attraction just as the straight spouse chooses not to act on opposite sex attractions). 
 With a trans spouse, there is no such clarity.  A husband suddenly announces to his wife that he is or wants to be a woman, and he can say !) I still love and desire you, but as a lesbian, and want to remain in the marriage, but as your wife; 2) I want to be with men because having sex with a man who desires me as a woman will make me feel like a woman; or 3) I want to have the freedom to have sex with both men and women, because I want both of those things.
  Only with the second scenario is the future remotely clear, and it it analogous to a man who comes out to his wife as gay: a man who becomes a transwoman and wants to be with men is not going to be happy staying with his wife.  
   In scenarios 1 and 2, the straight partner encounters the confusion of still being desired by the trans partner, and, when the trans partner is a part time cross dresser, the straight spouse is further confused by seeing what appears to be the partner one has always loved still there--the same body.  It's confusing and comforting and alienating all at the same time.  I've said before that what this felt like to me was that suddenly my husband brought home a new woman and installed her in my marriage, my home, and my marriage bed, said, I love her and you must love her, too.  If your partner just brought home another woman, you'd say, Hell no.  But when that other woman is at the same time your partner, the person to whom you're married?  And your partner after all belongs in your home and your bed?  A mind fuck of a very specific and different order. 
   Add to this the fact that although we use "trans" as an umbrella term, there are two very specific varieties of trans for men.  One is the stereotypically feminine boy who always wanted to be a girl (and is not, as studies indicate many such boys are, going to grow up to be a gay man); the other is a male with autogynephilia, a boy with an unproblematical boyhood, doing boy things, until, typically adolescence, when the condition manifests.  It's not just a case of "I want to be a woman"--what we refer to as "gender identity."  It's a sexual desire: I want to dress like, act like, be, a woman because it makes me sexually excited to dress like, act like, and imagine myself as a woman.  Lots of times this desire manifests at adolescence, and then is repressed, or recedes, or appears periodically, all the while the man is living a life as a man. 
     More than once you have written to someone that their partner "knew" from a young age, and has been lying about a life long sexuality; that's simply not accurate.  What you say aside from that, that once a spouse decides he's trans, he has an obligation to disclose; and once he has disclosed, 1) he should not expect his straight wife to accommodate his desire, and 2) his straight wife has the right to decide whether she wishes to stay in a marriage in which the contract has been unilaterally changed to something she didn't agree to.  

That the straight partner is still recognizably the partner, and still says, "I love you" and "I want you" is, I believe, the reason so many of us spend so much time concerned with what the trans spouse wants or needs--or who the person is!  Each straight partner in a trans situation works out what the bright line is: mine initially was "If you go ahead with transition, I can't stay married to you. I'm unwilling to be the wife of a transwoman."   When my stbx decided he would stay in the closet and simply act out his sexual desire with me, I wanted, as his spouse committed to marriage to him, to accommodate him.  I had no idea of the way autogynephilia would affect him and how his need would escalate and how acting as a woman would push him to believe in this woman he was acting out.

February 28, 2018 12:29 pm  #10

"More than once you have written to someone that their partner "knew" from a young age, and has been lying about a life long sexuality; that's simply not accurate."

No, I've never said they've known from a young age.  I've said that this isn't new.  It's amazing how many times here I've read that the trans spouse comes and announces their dilemma, and then like..... immediately starts to manifest change, often pressing the boundaries, no matter what the str8 spouse has outlined.  I'm not saying that they've been lying since childhood or adolescence. What I am saying is that this didn't just occur to them six weeks ago.  To get to the point where they're ready to transition (even inside the home privately) means they've been thinking about this for a long time, and have decided it's what they truly want.  The str8 spouse barely has the chance to digest the info before changes start to take place - because they've known for a WHILE.  Do you disagree with this?

"What you say aside from that, that once a spouse decides he's trans, he has an obligation to disclose; and once he has disclosed, 1) he should not expect his straight wife to accommodate his desire, and 2) his straight wife has the right to decide whether she wishes to stay in a marriage in which the contract has been unilaterally changed to something she didn't agree to."

I'm not getting where you disagree with the above.  Is that not all true?  Or CAN it not all be true?

Kel

Board footera